1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

A fat dollfie.

Dec 30, 2005

1. ... Im considered morbidly obese... -.-;;; well by government standards... and Im not really that big... ^^;;; Then again they told me that for my height (5'1") I should weigh around 90 lbs... *coughs* yeah right... thats like loosing almost half of me...

Me (last year - Ive gained since then, but even then I was still "obese" by government standards): http://shelichan.com/PersonalPhotos/DarkLight/6.jpg

As long as I can still buy my pants in the juniors section Im happy! >_> but I would like to see a chunkier doll... just to like... represent. :P

2. ....You look familiar.... O_o

3. I have to comment on this, because it's the kind of thing that bugs me as well. There was a time when I was overweight, but then I lost bunches of it and still get grief for being "anorexic" ... when I didn't even actively do anything to lose it. (I got grief for being overweight and now I get grief for being thin--funny how that works.) I'm also now constantly told about "real women" going through this or that. The implication is that "real women" are size 12+ and anyone under that is somehow ... fake. I guess. I suppose I feel sort of fake or invisible when the smallest size is called "S" but is more like a large "M" or even an "L".

Anyway, to the topic ... I can imagine that "fat" dolls would be impractical from a weight/resin standpoint. A lot of people like their dolls because they're "perfect", too, and based on that, an overweight dolly might just not fly. I could see this working for ... perhaps something more cherub-like. That might work as being a little rounder. I just can't imagine the market being good enough to warrant casting bunches of them, however. And think of the impact on the clothing market--it's already awkward enough with the slight variations between brands. Skinnier is just ... well ... easier.

It might make for an interesting project for any amateur/wannabe doll makers, however.

4. The governments is very silly. --;

My youngest sister is 9 years old, and built much more like my mother was when she was little, so she's very tall for her age and slim. "Supermodel-esque" if you want to call her that, I guess. I don't hold anything against her-- that's just the way she is, and she's my little sister-- but I do recognize that it's hard for her to find pants that fit properly, and when she wore a size 2 prom dress (on sale!) for her Halloween costume, we had to pin up the back of it so it wouldn't fall down, even though she was tall enough. (I know part of the reason it was too baggy is because she has no boobs, but it was still pretty baggy in the ribs...) And still growing. @.@ She's also very athletic, and has a superfast metabolism, so she eats the most out of anyone in my nuclear family. So, it's not like skinny people don't have problems!

Most of the issues people have with skinny women is just high school drama. Like how every girl not a cheerleader hates every girl who is a cheerleader just because she's a cheerleader, whether they know her or not. I'm in high school, and I think it's ridiculous. But that's the sort of nonsense that women in particular carry around long after it should have died. **siiiigh**

~~~~~~~~~

Weight actually will be an issue no matter how hollow you make the dolls, because after a certain amount of time, you will begin to lose stability of joints, etc, by making them thin to compensate for size. So, bigger dolls = heavier dolls, or you compromise their dollie lifespan.

5. Me and my sister are that way. I take after my dad (tall, overweight, large nose) and my sister after my mom (slender, high metabolism, small nose.. modelesque) and I always got flack growing up. My familly still gives me crap, esp. now that my Dad has lost weight!!

I'de love to see a heavier doll, not exactly obese, but something with a little junk in the trunk. I'm toying with the idea of giving my unoa Lusis a buttjob. >_> ... lol!

At any rate, I'm considered clinically overweight/obese (i'm 50lbs overweight, but apparently I can hide it well, since I'm tall and very curvy (hips, chest) so I still retain an hourglass figure, just not as pronounced), but I love more stacked girls (big racks, but butt) that have the hourglass figure. Maybe it's my ideal, or my goal, but while I can't shop for myself because of my weight (size 18/20.. more 20 now since I put on some pounds now that I'm living on my own and not with my healthy cookin' mom), I can make my dolls dress exactly how I wish I could.

Wow, I feel kind of lame XDDD

6. As for cubbsters in bjds...I think I could get a sugar overdose with nari-pons! Those cheeks are so cute...and that "Don't even THINK of pinching my cheeks" death ray look from those naripons....they make me feel so happy inside! [​IMG]....don't even get me started on pocket fairies! LOL [​IMG]

7. I know! They will kill me of cuteness if I ever buy one. I love 'em! <3

Ahh, I'm a lot the same! Same size too... xD Hehe.

8. Shelichan, you're sexy. XD

Yes, this I also hate too. I got enough butt and enough boobs, but everywhere else I'm thin(my arms are like chicken bones, and I hate it!). But I really hate it when people say "ohh, you're so skinny!! Look at you you're so lucky!" If I had been trying to lose weight then I would appreciate the comments, but I'm not trying to be thin, I just am. I don't look at it as being lucky, and it really sends a bad message to the heavier people in my family when I get attention for being thinner. I really don't like it... ER, that was WAY O.T.!!! XD ((I would like to continue talking about this though, maybe in the off-topic BJD LJ?))

Alright back on topic, one thing I was thinking about is how the SD10 boy body really doesn't look like a 10 year old's body. At ten they still have a 'baby' body, really. Their torsos look way more squat than the SD10 boy body's does(er, at least I think it does...).

Also, I don't see how a fatter doll would have problems with posing. I mean, there may be limitations, but, is a fatter doll really that different from a doll with humongeous boobs for example? I read what has been written on this, but I still don't really understand how a fat doll wouldn't be feasible. Could someone explain this to me more? XD

9. I too enjoy that my dolls are perfectly perportioned, as I am not, but I would like a little more variety. For example, I'd like to have dolls shaped like Kate Moss, Britney Spears, and Beyonce - very different, but all beautiful body types.

10. I think the issues people are seeing with balancing would be throwing off the doll's center of gravity, but the way I see it, as long as the legs are made/modified to be more stable, no worries. And I've seen some combination milk mods/pregnant mods on Y!J, and it didn't look like they had trouble standing. That, and I suppose if you weren't careful with the stomach, the doll would have trouble sitting down properly. *shrugs* There really isn't a reference for comparison, because there aren't really any SD sized "fat" dolls.

11. I was wondering when someone would say something about Secretdolls. They are definitely the 'fattest' (the fairies are at any rate) I've seen of ABJD. Their faces are more fat than their bodies but they are still pretty chubby. A others have said, the tinies and anything that represents more 'baby-ish' dolls tend to be chubby because they are supposed to be.

I like the thinner ones for the same reason a number of us here do. I'm also considered clinically overweight and I like to be able to dress them in things I could never hope to wear (even if I was their size... I just look like a dork in those clothes). So, I 'dress' vicariously through them...

Loki's Mom

12. Just because a doll ends up made larger, as long as it's balanced it'll be okay. (I'm not talking a beer belly) But being made normally and curvey I don't think it would be a problem. Even thin dolls I've bought had horrible balance. O_O

I guess it always drove me kinda nuts when I went to the stores, with the majority of the blonde haired blue eyes dolls, a few brown eyed and brown hair, and then more red haired green/blue eyes. (Then some black and hispanic dolls to keep their butts covered. Not many Asians) I guess that's changed a lot, but dammit I wanted a doll that looked like me, same coloring.

Whatever the ideal of beauty is for the culture, of course that's how they're going to market their things to, that's how you make profit (even to children of course)

I enjoy seeing healthy bodies, considering I've gone through a slew of eating disorders and problems, it's easy to focus on being and staying thin. I had the good influence of a few people, so it turned out okay. I love when I go to shul, I see real woman (bubbly psychos whom I wub) they're strong, modern woman. I guess I would like to see that in a doll, more then a fragile, breakable waif sometimes. I bond just fine to dolls we have now of course, but I think you'd have a special bond to one that reminded you of such positivity and strength.

13. Shelichan is so beautiful!!! I'm exactly like you! XD The body kind!
      I'm trying to lose some weight >: (

But I guess they could try a chubbier kind of doll! Not obese, otherwise it'd be hard making her stand up, but not so bony... o.o
      Afghan has a 40-year old woman body! I guess the next Dollshe doll will be a chubby one ^^ That would be interesting, even if it was limited or for exposition ^^

14. OK I would like to clear somthing up here.
      I dident seem to make it clear enough but I dont want a "fat doll."
      Actualy to be honost I dont mind junk in the trunk, but as much as Iwould love to see a "fat" doll i would not buy one.
      I am being honost here.
      Thank you every one for posting, and im sorry that it was moved for being a chat thread...
      I will have more discresion in the way that I post things later.
      and skinny dolls have trouble balancing too.
      infact i'm more afraid of breaking skinny dolls because there woudl be less to work with should they break, and thusly more trouble in the long run.
      I love my sharmin though, and I was atracted to her because even though she is a super skinny bum she is perportional, and I love her face mode.
      But you may notice that the Carrie which is currently the apple of my left eye (the sharmin gets the right one) is rather chubby, which is why I love her.
      I love the ani because even though I dont like the hands or feet the rest of the doll is apsolutely wonderful, and the hands are growing on me all the time.
      Jupiter has an angelar face that speaks of being skinny later in time.
      While I understand where you are all coming from *no, actualy I dont* Perhaps being skinny I am looking for more variety...even if its fairly common in japan.
      I find it disgusting that these artists who create these perfect *in my eye any ways* and beutifull dolls will not make a fatter doll because of selling issues.
      Yes it would cost ALOT more then usual dolls, but a larger doll would be so beutiful.
      And i'm not talking about the pregnant one...that one scares me ;.;
      I mean that they should make a doll shapes more like normal people, more like the average person.
      The selling issue really bugs me, and though im not an adult yet so not as concerned with money as I should be it really bugs me that they are missing out on making somthing beutifull and original because of money.
      If they were really artists then they would be more concerned with the art not the green.
      Ok that was my 2% thought it seems more like a 27%

15. I prefer Salubria/Sarubia(?)'s body and the kid delf body because they are beautiful. More normal rather than idealistic, these bodies are just gorgeous and loveable to me.

I'd love to see the option to get a Lishe head with this kind of body.

I think I prefer the small-busted bodies because they seem more beautiful to me in this way as well.

Of course an idealized (super-human) body is pretty, too... I would just love to have some more options.

Actually, I'd love to have a Salubria now. :)

16. Squee you're pretty :D
      It also amuses me greatly that I'm also allegedly obese because I'm 5'8" and a size 14 (is that like a 12 in the US? *clueless*). With my frame (I have very broad shoulders, to support the breasts of teh doom and I've got huge feet too) I actually look ill if I weigh less than 170lbs ^^;

Back on topic though, I'd love to see a doll that was proportionately curvy (personally, I think proportions being right is what makes a figure sexy and that works whatever size someone is). The Luts mature body's trunk section seems about right to me but I think she could do with a little more meat on the tops of her arms and thighs :)

17. xD The irritating thing about trying to draw a doll is that I keep making broad shoulders, because that's what I'm used to seeing in myself and my own family. When I was first starting to draw boys/men/children a while back (years... >>;; ) I had to concentrate on drawing narrower hips. *dies*

So, the general consensus so far is that people want more variety, and while they absolutely LOVE the dolls made thus far, most of the people who've commented thus far at the very least want a girl doll with more meat to her and made to look more realistic... but most people who've commented love the thin waify look most BJD boys have, and aren't really interested in making them meatier or thicker-bodied. Yes?

18. WOW, I didn't know so many people on DOA think 'fat' = 'ugly'...Hmmm.

Well I'm still going to try and market my curvy doll when she's done. She has a teeny bit of back fat! HEE HEE HEE! :D

19. So let me get this straight, it's disgusting that doll companies won't make a 'fat' doll, but even if there was, you still wouldn't buy it?

THAT'S why they can't make them, because people won't buy them (or at least they percieve in the market that it's unfeasible). Do you know how much it costs to make a silicone mold, and guess what? Silicone molds have to be remade because they don't last forever, and that's just the mold. It's a huge cost. The costs for making a resin BJD are pretty large, and it's a hell of a negitive of profit to swallow.

If it was a smaller company, how much more problems would they have with a loss like that? It IS about the money, that's how companies are. We're lucky with the BJD companies, they're able to do something they love, make a profit, and reach many. Maybe you don't understand business. And many of these companies are just run in people's spare time, they're not huge. They have problems keeping up with orders as it is.

If you're going to complain, make a plan to make a difference. People like to blame the big companies, the fashion industry etc. for such shallow ideas of beauty, but it's us as consumers that give them that power, by supporting it financially. If we want to see varying sizes in dolls, then we need to start asking the companies in nice little emails, "hey, I wonder if there's ever going to be the possibility of a larger body somewhere down the road? I'd really love to see it!"

Don't complain and raise arms to a fight you don't even feel like fighting.

20. Can I like... kiss you for that?

Seriously though, while I don't want a 400 pounds can't-get-off-the-couch doll, i would like to see more curvy ladies and more variety of figures overall. I mean, for the most part you can say sd-13 sized girls are about a size 6 with legs that are far too long and heads that are far too large. How about a size 10 at least? I think there are many beautiful women who are this size and look great in clothes, though they do need to dress a bit more carefully for their shape.

To me though, when it comes down to it, it's all about the face and the overall charm factor of the doll. If someone made a doll with a chubbier body and she had a great face with that special "something" I would totally buy her! Though I don't believe a korean or japanese company would ever make such a doll >_>