1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

A fat dollfie.

Dec 30, 2005

1. Fabric thickness is a big problem when you get to Barbie size. But a company did try to put out a Barbie-type doll called Happy To Be Me a decade or so back with a thicker waist, smaller boobs and larger, flat feet. It didn't sell at all and most people hated it.

I knew a girl who visited Japan. She was only about 5'2" or so, not fat, but certainly not skinny. It was cold while she was there and she searched around for a coat and was so happy when she found one that fit until she found out it was a maternity shop she was in!

2. I was going to post a thread like this awhile ago, but I guess I got beat to it! I wish I had joined in before the sixth page though ;0;

:C I want a chubby boy doll so bad. Not like, incredibly overweight, but just...padded. I love padded guys, they're so snuggly. One character that I pretty much HAVE to make into a doll (lest his boyfriend, who's already a doll go single for eternity) is overweight. I wonder if it'd be possible to mod on a tummy and some thigh and back padding into a Luts body. CP boys already have a cute tummy~ Should I bring this up in the Modification forum to get advice from some master sculptors?

But, if they made an easily-accessible boy doll who had a thicker (not muscular) build, I'd definately want to buy it. ^^; I don't think fat is ugly, unless it's unhealthy. I'm 5'8, and though I've gained weight, I was happiest at being a size 16. I love having curves. If there were an overweight girl doll that just CALLED to me, I'd gladly get one.

And I'm definately not saying the teenywaisted dolls aren't attractive, though. x_x they look so amazing in all sorts of clothing. Once I get my dolls, I'm definately going to dress them in ways that I could never pull off.

3. its ok, I keep up with my threads on a relative basis, and im glad that this one is still around. I really want a chubby doll alot too. Not a fat doll mind you but some chubb would be nice.
      I love my girl because she is so unearthly and inhuman in every way, and that makes me happy.
      but some time I would like a chubby doll that is done well. The ani boy doll is chubby in a slightly bad way in my opinion. My friend has one, and I think its cute but I really dont like the way its joints and limbs work.
      I am a bit off from every one ells though, because I can wear just about anything that my doll can wear (if I were to enlarge it >.<)

4. In theory, I was all for the Happy To Be Me doll, it came out a couple of years before I had my daughter, but . . . she was UGLY!! *waiiiii* (Um, apologies to anyone who has a cherished HTBM doll, I should, I suppose, say that I *thought* she looked ugly and cheaply made, and I didn't want to spend money on her.)

http://www.seanet.com/Users/matts/happy2be.htm

Wish I could find a better pic of her face, she looked . . . Valium'ed.

-- A ;)

5. Its probably because they did not value you her, and knew that she would not sell as well so they did not put as much work into her.
      I mean really looking from a marketers view.
      People would much rather live in a dream of perfection than admit to the horrors of the real teens or womans body.
      She is rather...destable though...even for a barbie (in my opinion that is)

6. I want my dolls to look healthy and beautiful. I would love to see a beautiful doll made with a full figure, but she would still need to be a healthy weight for her body type. Franklin Mint did a beautiful Marilyn sculpt that looks curvy, full and solid. I love that sculpt and have considered buying it, but I'm not really into celebrity dolls...

7. First off, I'd like to come out and say that I'm naturally tall and very slim, and hate it. I envy people with fuller, more feminine figures. They can pull off looks I'd never be able to dream of doing.
      Believe me folks, it's not all it's cracked up to be. Buying clothes has always been a nightmare for me, and always will.

So, I'd love to see a doll with a fuller figure, I'd be able to dress her up in outfits I couldn't even dream of wearing (medival wench, Marilyn Monroe style dresses etc).
      Really, the fantasy does go both ways.

8. Daylilies- yes, full bodies are always nice. But the small slimmer bodies do have their charm.
      AnnieDuck- I 2nd this motion, I hate buying clothes, because when ever I ask for a size zero I get a weird look.
      Though I must admit that I like flat tummies and tiny breasties, a larger figure would be nice, if nothing ells so that people would stop asking me if im anerexic....they dont even notice my healthy glow ;.;

9. Ye gods, I have no recollection of "Happy" at all, but looking at the picture in the link... :barf . I think Salon hit the nail on the head:

10. ROFLMAO!!! Yay cattiness!!

*deeply, deeply amused*

THANK YOU, I just read that out loud to my husband (who couldn't care less about dolls) and he's totally in stitches now ^-^

-- A >:}

11. I would like a doll with more of a mature figure, but a small waist. funny how everyone tells me I look fine but my mom considers me horribly obese at a size 12 XPacording to her I should be at least 105.

12. I though the more realistic Happy To Be ME dolls were cool, and I bought one for my kid. The face needed some more design work, but the body was so much better in proportion than Barbies. I was quite disappointed when they discontinued them, instead of improving them. :(

13. Karisu- they probably didn't sell the even half as much as the company wanted, and got a bad name right then and there, so even if they were to improve her, it most likely would not have made much of a differance.
      lilmissmaya-Todays standards are jost horrible, I wish that we could go back to the time when plesently plump girls were actualy popular >.<

14. I haven't read through the whole thread, so I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but my LUTS girl (Soo) has a giant ass. o_O;; Much like... *drumroll* ... me! XD The first time I tried to make her pants I had to modify the pattern three or four times until I could get the fit I wanted. So while she's not exactly chubby, hot damn does she have booty. <3 Is that true for all BJDs? Or are the LUTS molds just super-exaggerated in all areas because they look more anime/manga-y?

I personally love my "ideal shape" dolls because that's what I buy them for - to be inhumanly ideal and ethereal and creepy. (I use plural forms even though I only have one doll so far. Uh oh. XD; ) But if I got a kid doll, I'd definitely want it to have a squishy little tummy and cute cheeks and what-not. But I don't think there's enough of a demand for pudgy adult dolls for anyone to consider them.

Forgive the weirdness, I just woke up. ^^;

15. Callie-chan~It has been mentioned but not as extensivly as you have. Thanks a bunch for your input its like seconding a mass opinion and summing what every one said up in one post ^_^ oh you helpful person you ^_^
      Anyways no, not all dolls have gigantic bums my girl has a fairly tiny butt, and tiny boobies, but that way she can wear an itsy bitsy teeny weeny yellow polka dot bakini! ^~^lol^~^

16. Actually, the Luts "Girl" bodies have small/average busts but the same curvy bum -- I think the doll artist just likes girls with booty ;)

Does your Soo have the "Mature" (large bust) or "Girl" (smaller bust) body, out of curiosity? It seems like most of the Luts girls are being sold with the "Mature" body these days, but I actually prefer the smaller bust . . . I'm about to get my first "Girl" body in the mail (it'll be for my Mau head) and I'm delighted!

-- Andi :>

17. I also haven't read every page of this thread, so if it's been metioned, sorry. I've said on another thread that I really wish every male doll out there wasn't so skinny. I'm actually considering getting a Hound one day, but his body type is not very healthy looking to me. His ribs poke out. No doll that is that skinny appeals to me too much. He does have a gorgeous face, though, and I might buy him to fit a certain character I have in mind. The main attraction is he's a more mature sculpt and doesn't really look like a 16-year-old, like almost every other male doll. I really, really wish there was a more realistic, muscled, thicker male doll out there. The closest thing I've see was the Bishonen men (also beautiful sculpts), and they still have the stick-leg thing going on. They're a great improvement, though! The male doll on this site is what I'm talking about! But this guy isn't being mass-produced, as far as I'm aware. I think there is a huge market for manly male dolls, and full-figured women dolls as well! I guess the body-ideal is just different in the countries these dolls are made. When I have more time, I will be working on sculpting a manly BJD, and who knows how far I'll take that. But if I can't buy it, I'll make it! :)

18. how about Yukinojo? He's pretty muscular, but he doesn't have his ribs poking out like Hound(I don't like that, either..)

19. Raouken - His body is great, but isn't he severely limited? I don't know much about him. He's an event doll, isn't he? I mean, he's not readily available, and he's extremely expensive. He's really a rare exception. I just don't see why this body-type doll isn't more popular and available. Also, he still has that little boy face! Why?! The adolecent look doesn't do it for me.

20. unfortunately, he is :( however, if you wanted to get him, now would be the best..lots of people are getting him through the lottery and have to pay soon so they sell him at his original price..which is around $1300, I believe +_+ however, I doubt they will make only one SD16 so I'm sure there will be more boys with that body..perhaps you will like their heads better :D