1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

A For Life Hobby or a For Now Interest?

Sep 9, 2010

1. *Do you feel like your BJD collection is something you will keep and stay active with forever?
      I can't say I'll be active with my collecting forever, but will I keep the ones I have? Of course.

*Do you feel as though someday you'll loose interest and get out of the hobby?
      I have inactive periods with all my hobbies every once and a while. I started in this hobby around 2001, but had a long period of collecting and customizing anime dolls prior to getting into BJDs. Before that point, I was a huge collector of Takara Jenny and Licca for almost a decade. I had an inactive period from BJDs from 2005 to 2007 to focus on my education. I never really "get out" of any of my hobbies. I still have my anime dolls, Takara Jenny and Licca dolls, 1/6th action figures, Gene Marshall dolls, vintage fashion dolls, etc. However, I don't keep accumulating those parts of my doll collection. I do every so often spend time sewing, working with them, and photographing them, but not with any regularity.

*Can you see yourself passing your BJD collection on as a sort of heirloom (or do you believe with the nature of resin, it simply would not be a pretty situation in twenty years?)?
      I might pass part of it on as an heirloom, but I'm not sure. It would have to depend on if anyone else in my family takes on an interest in the hobby. :)

2. Do you feel like your BJD collection is something you will keep and stay active with forever?
      Like so many of the people in this thread I'm not sure. Now I must say that I usually keep the hobby's I have, but I don't know how I feel in, say, twenty years.
      One thing I've realized is that I enjoy making them myself more than buying them (or sewing clothes for them). And my dolls still have characters and background stories, but I don't really feel the need to take pictures anymore. On the other hand, I've become more and more interested in the modding aspect. So perhaps in ten, twenty or thirty years I will still be in this hobby, but the way I participate has changed.

Do you feel as though someday you'll loose interest and get out of the hobby?
      I don't think that I will loose interest in making these dolls, but it could very well be that at a certain point I won't be a part of the community anymore.

I have these times where I don't work on my bought dolls for a while, but I don't see that as quitting. It's more that I'm focussing on other aspects of the hobby (or sometimes, that I'm taking a small break, because I'm tired).

Can you see yourself passing your BJD collection on as a sort of heirloom (or do you believe with the nature of resin, it simply would not be a pretty situation in twenty years?)?
      Resin is actually quite resilient, so I'm not worried that in 60 years my dolls will have become a pile of goo.

I'd love to give these doll to a new generation. My mother gave her childhood doll to me when I was a kid, and of course it wasn't in pristine condition anymore (the doll had yellowed quite a bit and her pinky was missing), but knowing that it had belonged to my mother and knowing that it had been loved for so long made this doll a very precious gift. Actually, she was the reason I became interested in them in the first place. I hope that one day, I can do the same for someone else.

3. *Do you feel like your BJD collection is something you will keep and stay active with forever?
      I thought it was forever, then thought I got over it...but rediscovered my interest. I suppose it goes through phases based on where I am in my life? I intend to keep my dolls forever unless I'm in DRASTIC financial danger though, even if I'm not active.
      Tis possible. All's possible. But once again, would keep my little darlins.
      *Can you see yourself passing your BJD collection on as a sort of heirloom (or do you believe with the nature of resin, it simply would not be a pretty situation in twenty years?)?
      They'll look plenty beautiful, just in need of some painting over yellowing. :3nodding: I indeed plan on handing them down...and offering original dolls to my kids as well.

4. *Do you feel like your BJD collection is something you will keep and stay active with forever?
      Well, as with my other hobbies, I go in and out of phases. But I think that I'll always have the BJDs that I have now.

I don't think that I'd ever lose interest. I'd probably enter into a place whee I have all the dolls that I want and I would just admire the dolls of others.

If the resin last, and my children would want them after I passed I's pass it on.

5. That is an interesting question.

For me, I've looked at and found a certain amount that I like, and that will allow me to try different things with customizing (I want one custom of each gender in 1/3 size, and two girls and a boy in 1/4 size that I can switch wigs/eyes/heads/outfits on as much as I like) along with the ones I'm getting simply because I love the full set that this or that doll has. I've limited myself to just these ones and will try not to get more simply so I can work on 'completing' some of my other hobbies :P

But although I don't intend to get more once I have enough that doesn't mean I won't still buy things to customize them, try to make new things for them or paint new faces. Basically once I have them all I think it'll turn into more of a maintaining hobby rather than a collecting one. I don't think I'll lose interest in maintaining them though.

I won't be having any children and no one in my family is interested in such things, so when I kick the bucket I'd probably want mine left to a fellow bjd collector. Same goes for my other collections, I'd rather they go to others who know about them, and then that person can sell them if they want.

Hah! I just thought of another and rather morbid option: I guess you could choose to be buried with them :P (poor dolls!)

6. *Do you feel like your BJD collection is something you will keep and stay active with forever?

Honestly I really don't think so, I may keep the dolls but not the active interest

Quite possibly I have many collections, although I have kept them all.

I have no one to leave them to I expect they would end up on a skip

Is it love? No. Is it forever? I doubt it

7. Do you feel like your BJD collection is something you will keep and stay active with forever?

I have no idea. I've been in and out of enough collection type hobbies to say that it's difficult to tell how long it'll last regardless of how much older I've become.

Do you feel as though someday you'll loose interest and get out of the hobby?

Out of the communities is more likely than the hobby itself. I still look at and drool over lolita clothes and occasionally check how awful the design has become on MLPs, but I haven't touched either community in forever. Then again, I never really feel completely part of any community so there's usually little to keep me anchored there.

Can you see yourself passing your BJD collection on as a sort of heirloom (or do you believe with the nature of resin, it simply would not be a pretty situation in twenty years?)?

Ah, no. Not terribly interested in having children, and I wouldn't want to shove my bizarre habits and interests on them anyway. Let them develop their own minds and personalities.

8. I don't think this is a question I can answer with any degree of certainty. Even if I think, right now, "this is a for-life thing," I can't even imagine what I might be doing ten to twenty years from now. I can hope, but I can't know.

I don't want to get out of the hobby, but at the same time I don't think it would be totally out of character for me to do so. There are other hobbies that I have parted ways with in the past. If there comes a time when I'm no longer as interested in my dolls, I may sell my dolls and move on. I don't want to keep them, even if I'm no longer very interested, just for the sake of not letting go. That's not the kind of person I am.

I don't think I'd pass my collection on as heirlooms. I don't want children, and I'm not sure how my dolls will have aged when that time comes. If I have a niece, nephew, or other relation who shows an interest in the doll, I might consider giving it to him or her--but that really depends on the child and how I feel at the time. I'd have to be okay with whatever they might do from that point on--change faceups, add modifications, re-envision, possibly damage, etc. I don't want to give someone my dolls just so they can be forced to preserve them.

9. Hi,

I feel this is a for life journey. I gave up all of my Himmies to pay for more BJDs. I am smitten and I am certain I will stay that way. I do not see the BJDs as a heirloom.

Aliza

10. 1) While I foresee ups and downs in which I may have to put more focus in something else, I feel that, overall, this is a hobby that will remain active with through my life.

2) I really don't see me ever falling out of the hobby. For one thing, I've found my doll (and the doll that's on its way) serves a fairly therapeutic purpose for me, a kind of therapy I will see myself needing time and time, again. And for another, if this were a hobby I really felt I'd lose interest in, I wouldn't have gone through the trouble of spending the money I have on it.

3) My hope is that technology advances enough that both my resin and vinyl BJD's can be preserved indefinitely, passed down from parent to child for many generations within my family. I find the idea of dolly representations of my husband and me guiding and keeping my family safe, healthy, happy, and prosperous a lovely, romantic idea.

Yes, I do believe that it's love and that it will last forever. :)

11. i've been a doll collector for over 20 years and my current focus is on bjds. I still have all of my previous dolls as i rarely sell anything, so the bjds have joined the throng and will most probably stay there. There is a lot more to do with the bjds than antique dolls, as they tend to get dressed and stay that way. Mind you, most of my dolls seem to be naked.....
      i have children who are totally disinterested in any of my collections, so when i get around to it, i'll make a list of what things are worth so they can sell them when i'm gone without gettin ripped off!

12. *Do you feel like your BJD collection is something you will keep and stay active with forever?
      Oh definitely. I think that my collection will always be changing and evolving as new dolls are released and my tastes change, but I believe that this is something I want to keep up with for a long time. I find that dolls inspire me and give me new, better ideas with which to write. The more I am around them, the more ideas I seem to have and the more creative I get with them. ^^
      I tend to be a little flighty and introverted so I can see myself taking little breaks from the hobby, and from other hobbyists, but in the long run I don't think I will lose interest in my dolls. I too much enjoy writing stories about them, changing their looks, making them clothing, taking fun pictures, et cetera. There are so many things I can do (and so many gorgeous little resin people to do them with) that I don't think I will ever fall away from the hobby entirely.
      I would love it if my children (if/when I have any/some a long time into the future) shared my interest but I don't think my dolls will pass to them. I would help them get their own dolls and make clothing for them, stuff like that, but I would be very surprised if they had the exact same taste as me... and I think some of my dolls I would not ever want to part with! :P

13. *Do you feel like your BJD collection is something you will keep and stay active with forever?
      Forever? No. Why? Because DEATH comes whether we will or not.

Someday? Well, maybe when I'm dead. Which won't be that long all things considered. LOL I'm not 20 something. THANK goodness!

I've spoken with a very very good friend of mine. She's been informed that when the DAY happens, she's in the will to inherit the dolls and stuff. And my library. Probably everything else since I don't have family. Since a couple of my dolls are already pushing 9 or 10 I doubt another 10 will bother them as they live in my bedroom which, because I work nights, is always blacked out. No yellowing by sunlight at least. LOL

Gee this all sounds so morbid. I'm pushing 60 so "forever" is such a juvenile concept. LOL I remember thinking "forever" while in high school. @.@

Is it love? Darned straight?
      Is it forever? Nope.
      But meanwhile they're mine and I love 'em ta pieces.

14. *Do you feel like your BJD collection is something you will keep and stay active with forever?
      Very likely not forever, to be realistic. I do like these dolls a lot, and enjoy very much making crafts for them, but they are just dolls. I keep in the hobby as long as I enjoy it, and if I´d lose interest I´d move on. I don´t consider it "larger than life" -thing for myself, it´s just one hobby among many I have.

Don´t feel so yet, but if I would, it would be no big deal. I´d sell the dolls on except some of them that I think I would keep as memory even if I´d give up of the active hobby.

I think none in my family would be that interested on these dolls. Most likely I might give some dolls for my little sister or cousin if they´d really love them and I wouldn´t mind so much anymore. If I´d die, my family is free to do what they like with them as well as all my other stuff.

15. *Do you feel like your BJD collection is something you will keep and stay active with forever?

Being that I've always have had an interest in dolls and figures, it's entirely possible that I might stay in the hobby 'forever'. What constitutes as being active in a hobby is entirely subjective though; for me being active in this hobby is simply enjoying having the dolls around, I don't do a lot with them all the time.

*Do you feel as though someday you'll lose interest and get out of the hobby?

It might happen! I can't see a reason why I would, but my future self might have a good reason to leave the hobby.

Probably not. I see heirlooms as timeless, classic items like jewellery or furniture that get passed on through several generations. I just can't ever imagine BJDs becoming valuable antiques, or even being desirable to someone who isn't avidly interested in the hobby - but that's just my opinion. Furthermore, I don't intend to ever have children so actually having a younger generation to pass them on is unlikely for me.

16. i don´t think this is s apssing thing for me, and i really hope my babies are not deteriorated to pitiful state in 20 years....my son (if he stays alone) will remember me through them cause they are very much a part of me :)

17. It looks like dolls in general will be a lifetime interest for me. As for BJDs? Since I've started making my first, I'll say it should be a hobby that will last a fairly long time.

As for the length of time that the dolls will last, I'll give you a chemist's point of view (since I'm...well, a chemist). Polymers tend to be some of the most durable of materials so long as you care for them correctly (like anything really). Plastics (resins are a class of the general plastics) are environmentally unfriendly because they're hard to destroy. Plastics can become brittle when exposed to too much UV radiation. So, if you keep your dolls out of light and away from pets and other destructive sorts, your dolls ought to be okay.

18. *Do you feel like your BJD collection is something you will keep and stay active with forever?

I'd say that I want to love and take care of them forever. Of course there will come a time that your satisfication with them would be lessen so as the time spent on them, but nonetheless I would found things to enjoy and learn about BJDs, about my beloved dolls.

I really cannot say, but for now I know deep in my heart, I love them. I treasure everyday that we spent together. I just love how they provide such comfort for me...

Maybe, to my children but I cannot say that they would love and appreciate them as much as I do. Perhaps after 20 years from now, the world might end (haha ^^) or BJDs too might evolve into something, of some sort I dunno*

19. Those 2 options are extremes that I dont really think I can answer the question. :)

*Do you feel like your BJD collection is something you will keep and stay active with forever?

No. I have had dolls since I was little though. I have been active for about 6 years.

How would I know that? I have a hard time trying to figure out what I am going to eat for dinner.

Since I have so many, I actually had to make provisions to make it easier for my estate attorney. I hardly think they will be worth any relevant cash in 20 years though.

20. Uh... I don't think I've ever really left a hobby before. I have so many hobbies! As I get more and more of them, the amount of time I devote to them tends to sway, with one taking the fore for a while. However I maintain my interest and skills in all of them. So, even though there are times when I don't even look at my BJDs for 3-4 weeks, I don't think I'll ever leave the hobby.

Now that I think of it, the only hobby I've ever abandoned was knitting. It went through my high school like a craze, and I made a few scarves, but man was it boring and hard to me!!! D: