1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

A For Life Hobby or a For Now Interest?

Sep 9, 2010

1. Do you feel like your BJD collection is something you will keep and stay active with forever?

It feels to me as though I'll stay with them forever, although I can't predict how actively I may play with or collect them. Several other hobbies have been with me for over half a century now (always wanted to say that and yep, it sounds just as creepy as I thought it would! ;) ) and several have been with me for a good quarter of my life, so I see no reason why my most deeply-adored BJDs won't stay around for the rest of whatever.

Do you feel as though someday you'll lose interest and get out of the hobby?

I do suspect that at some point I'll end up going my own way with respect to the online aspect of the hobby, just because the repetitive nature of the "community" part loses its appeal after awhile. But again, who knows? I absolutely adored watching the 6th anniversary events this summer -- and maybe I'll get more active with some other part of things. Do I think I'll keep on collecting? Probably, but probably at a vastly reduced rate because I have no more room and would like to put my kids through college ;)

Can you see yourself passing your BJD collection on as a sort of heirloom (or do you believe with the nature of resin, it simply would not be a pretty situation in twenty years?)?

Yes I can, because my girls love dolls too. I really have no clue what they'll look like by the time I bite the big one, but if they're still worth having they'll be passed along.

Is it love? Is it forever?

At least with respect to some of my dolls it's love. With most all of them it's intense "like." Given the nature of life as we know it I'd suspect that neither I nor my dolls will last forever, but what won't change is how much I care for them now. That feeling will always be with me, even if the dolls aren't. Howzat for a waffle? :)

2. In my case, I have ALWAYS loved dolls while growing up- making them, playing them and collecting the American Girl dolls- I have Addy and Samantha (porcelain is a no-no for my tastes.) To me, my dolls have helped me through some seriously tough parts of my life. But since even though I'm in college, getting to graduate soon; I think I will forever love my resin children because they represent a lot of me. To me, they will be the first big purchase as an independent adult- ultimate sign of financial freedom. They also represent a new beginning of inspiration to finish my novel. Because I only want two, I will stay in the hobby forever. I don't why I would ever stop the hobby.

3. *Do you feel like your BJD collection is something you will keep and stay active with forever?

Pretty much

*Do you feel as though someday you'll loose interest and get out of the hobby?

I'm in my 40's, I've collected dolls, bears and other stuffed nimals all my life, BJD's have been inorporated intot hat andd i can't see any of it not bing in my life for the rest of however long I have.

*Can you see yourself passing your BJD collection on as a sort of heirloom (or do you believe with the nature of resin, it simply would not be a pretty situation in twenty years?)?

It's already in my will, along with my books, my fabric stash and my costumes.

Pretty much.

Teddy

4. I do tend to go through hobbies in phases, so whether I'll still be active in a few years I can't say for certain. I'd really love to know how well resin holds up long term, as my first doll will be staying with me forever (and I can't really see getting rid of the puki, either). If they don't disintegrate then they'll probably go to whoever ends up with my porcelain dolls when it's time to divide up my stuff.

5. *Do you feel like your BJD collection is something you will keep and stay active with forever?
      I rarely if ever sell my hobby items... and something expensive as a BJD, if it is a model i have really loved and projected a personality on to, even if Im not an active buyer anymore, I would not sell.
      I do not believe in the word 'forever', so I would and could not say if something will or will not happen.
      *Can you see yourself passing your BJD collection on as a sort of heirloom (or do you believe with the nature of resin, it simply would not be a pretty situation in twenty years?)?
      Hmm... as an Archaeology major, Im fascinated with old things, antiques, etc. Since I plan on keeping the doll (s) that I love dearly, I can see this happening. Even if the condition of the doll wasn't so great any more.
      Sure its love. But forever doesnt exist.

6. Do you feel like your BJD collection is something you will keep and stay active with forever?
      It's hard to say. I have loved BJDs since I first learned about them in 2003, but I have been in and out of the hobby since then. Right now I'm in this full swing and loving it! But knowing that I fell out of the hobby for 3 years prior to this recent rekindling, I don't know if this will be a forever thing. I did, however, keep my favorite doll through my hiatus. So while I may fall out of participating in the hobby, I will probably at least keep my favorite dolls even if I never share then with anyone else.

Do you feel as though someday you'll loose interest and get out of the hobby?
      It's possible. I admit I have a short attention span and tend to hyper focus on one thing at a time hobby wise. I'm sure new interests will push me in other directions throughout my life, but as I mentioned before, I'll probably keep my favorite dolls around.

Can you see yourself passing your BJD collection on as a sort of heirloom (or do you believe with the nature of resin, it simply would not be a pretty situation in twenty years?)?
      If the resin holds up, why not?

Is it love?
      Right now, yes!

Is it forever?
      Who knows? I'll just enjoy it while it interests me and not worry about forever. ;)

7. These dolls and other dolls in my life are a life long hobby. I will never give them up willingly.

8. *Do you feel like your BJD collection is something you will keep and stay active with forever?
      I really don't know. I've been in the hobby since 2006 and it's never waned so far....I'm still really enjoying the hobby, and it's a great outlet for my creativity.
      *Do you feel as though someday you'll lose interest and get out of the hobby?
      Who knows? I'm having a great time though still, and have made some great friends...
      Well, my daughter isn't interested n them at the moment, so probably she would sell them if I was no longer around, or maybe keep one to remind her of me.Not sure what state they'll be in then.

9. *Do you feel like your BJD collection is something you will keep and stay active with forever?
      Yup definitely. I can't imagine dropping out of it and selling everything, not after so many months of waiting and perfecting my dolls.

Nope. I've taken breaks from time to time (I just came back from one.) But I've never fallen out of it.

My dolls are well kept. I don't know how well they will be in twenty years, but if I end up having someone in my family loving them, I'd end up passing them on to them, if the resin doesn't go terrible.

10. In my opinion, I will have a lifelong interest in dolls. Whether or not I will focus on BJDs is uncertain. I have not gotten tired of dolls for the last 32 years, so I imagine at least that much is not going to change.

11. *Do you feel like your BJD collection is something you will keep and stay active with forever?

~Definately! Being able to customize your doll has its unlimited possibilities it's so hard to get
      board from a bjd.

~not at all.

~If the resin holds up I would pass on my collection if I had someone to pass it on to.

<3 4evr.

12. *Do you feel like your BJD collection is something you will keep and stay active with forever?
      I will keep them for sure, since i've been dolls enthusiastic since i was little and i still got some of them for more than 20 years now. Stay active forever..that i'm not sure, i mean i might be inactive for some period time because of works etc.

Nope..i don't think so since these bjds bring my creativity out. I could get new hobbies later on, but as long as I'm still active on photography and photoshopping.. i couldn't go far from my dolls, they're my Muses!

Maybe if they're still in good condition..and of course if i had children... if not, I'll pick someone who shows interest on them.

13. When I was younger I would get fevered week-long obsessions, so when I talked to my parents about BJDs they would roll their eyes and nod, knowing I would forget about it by monday. Only I didn't. I haven't.

My dolls are for life. No question. If I got married and my husband wanted me to sell them I'd divorce him. (Okay maybe not, but I think I'd know whoever I choose to marry well enough to know they won't say that.)

14. *Do you feel like your BJD collection is something you will keep and stay active with forever?
      I dont have a doll yet, but when I finally get one we will be together for quite a long time. I think it will be because of the fact that I will be spending a lot of time and money for it, and I tend to develop a strong attachment to my things, so I foresee a long relationship between us.

I started liking BJD back in 2003, but I was a student then, and $500 was too much for a hobby for me. I forgot about it for a while, then started to get interested again just last year. So yeah, I think that one day, I'll lose interest in it, and it will end up safely hidden in wherever I might keep it in, and be forgotten for a while again, but knowing myself, I'll accidentally unearth it and will renew my interest, because that's how it has always been for me and my hobbies, which is why I rarely throw away things that I lost interet in.

Yes, definitely. Although I know nothing about the life expectancy of resin, and it might be beyond salvation when the time comes, but if it somehow survives, I'll definitely pass it on, because it will be such a shame to lock it behind glass doors when their beauty would be more appreciated up close by others who are interested in them as well.

15. Do you feel like your BJD collection is something you will keep and stay active with forever?
      Yes. All hobbies I have picked up in life so far (which aren't too many, but a decent amount) have stuck with me since. I get very into my interests and maintain them fully. They become an extension of me. Sure, it may take me a while to get into hobbies, but once I stick to it, it's stuck for life.

Maybe, but it's unlikely. My hobbies are extensions of myself. Asking me to get out of a hobby is nearly akin to asking me if I no longer feel like I need my hand, so I could just hack it off. Besides, I've always liked dolls for as long as I can remember. Also, I've treated them as "people" since I could talk. Considering I'm heading into two decades of existence soon, I highly doubt there will be a major rehaul in this mindset soon.

Nope, they're getting buried with me. No one else is getting their grubby hands on my friends.

16. Honestly I think I'm going to like mine for a very, VERY long time. Saying forever is a bit extreme considering that I wouldn't live that long. xD For my life though, yeah. :)

BJDs among other things is one of the things I've been interested in the longest. Usually I would lose interest in something by now, but I still like BJDs even though the first time I liked them was when I was 10 years old. I just like them too much.

Liking them FOREVER is way too huge of a promise, I can say that much. I think I'll always have somewhat of an interest in them though. I just like them too much. That, and I just like doll clothing way too much. Even if for some reason I wasn't that huge on them anymore, I already planned ahead just in case that happens. :sweat Then I'd just use my doll for an art model. ((Which is reason #3 I got him. :) )) Since art is my #1 hobby anyway, it's always good to have an adorable model to help me with poses, perspective, ect. :)

17. Do you feel like your BJD collection is something you will keep and stay active with forever?
      I doubt it. Ideally, I could keep my family when completed until I'm old but who knows.

I cycle through all of my hobbies periodically. I might not be active with my dolls in the future for a year, but then my interest will pick back up.

I think aging resin colors will actually compliment my collection.I won't be having children. So, who knows if I will pass it on to anyone.

18. *Do you feel like your BJD collection is something you will keep and stay active with forever?
      I think BJDs are a hobby I'm interested in because of my main interests, which have stayed with me my whole life so far.. (bodies, art, mechanics..) so like usual I think my hobbies will morph and shift around as I explore my interests. So maybe I will come back to BJDs on and off. (Because often you look back and see something new in a hobby you haven't been paying attention to..) But it is not really broad enough to be involved in every day for a lifetime.

I don't really exit and enter hobbies. *A*;; I kind of just... do something else for a while. So I won't know I've left until I die. XD;;

Uhm.. maybe. If I find someone who wants them? o__O I guess I have a long time to look. (If the resin is fine, anyway. Do you think it will go brittle or crumbly like other plastics?)

19. I don't know if I'll stay in this hobby forever. Forever is a long time you know! As long as I'm enjoying it and as long as it's not stressfull I'll probably keep enjoying my dolls and the hobby. I wonder what my doll-situation will be like in a year, or five years, or twenty years. It's hard to say or imagine!

Hobbies do develop over time... I still like Pokemon, just as much as I did 13 years ago, but the intensity changed. My passion for drawing kind of died and so did my passion for anime/manga. So it's hard to say something like this about dolls!

20. This hobby is something that I fall into and out of as the mood strikes, like aaaaaaaall of my other hobbies, haha. :) The thing that really separates this one is the excellent community that surrounds it, and the uniqueness of it overall. I don't know if I'll stick with it forever, but I can definitely see myself investing a lot of time in it, if not consecutively, over the years.

I've got no plans to sell any of my dolls. I'm VERY careful with my purchases, especially considering how expensive dolls are and how generally broke I am, haha. I've been collecting dolls for years now, and BJDs are by far the most interesting, beautiful and creativity-inspiring kind I've encountered thus far. I do treat them as heirlooms and as precious things to cherish for years to come--I plan on showing them off to my grandkids! Hopefully the resin won't degrade too badly, but even if it does, it won't diminish the sense of enjoyment and nostalgia I'll get when looking at them. After all, if you invest a lot of time in something, even if it is no longer as beautiful as it was when new, you're still going to love it and care for it just because you put so much work into it.