1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

A For Life Hobby or a For Now Interest?

Sep 9, 2010

1. I've always collected things, Barbies, Bratz, stuffed animals, and porceline dolls, and the only things I had ever gotten rid of was some of the stuffed animals and the old ratty barbies. For me, I know I'll be into BJDs for my life, even if I don't play with them as much, I know I'll keep them and still love them. Even if they only sit on a shelf with the Bratz and Barbies, looking pretty, I'll still keep them and enjoy them.

2. This is an interesting topic and question. Being into many hobbies all at once and adding BJD in 2010 was just a natural for me. I have had doll collections since I was 16 and I do not think I will "leave" the hobby so to speak.

I agree with the idea that if I love the sculpt and have been wanting a particular BJD for a long time; I doubt I would just let my BJD fam get adopted. I use the word "adopted" I suppose because I do see my BJD's as an extension of my human family.

I will be an "empty nester" soon and I know that this particular hobby has taken stronger shape than expected. I really enjoy the artistic facet of this hobby. Many BJD people can do face-ups and can create their own "custom" BJD by collecting the head, body, etc. I find it beautiful and fascinating. Although, I personally cannot do face-ups, I am diving right into the photography aspect of BJD. It is fun and I do not think I will ever lose interest.

3. *Do you feel like your BJD collection is something you will keep and stay active with forever?
      Well, I don't quite have a doll yet, but when I finally do get one, I feel like it will have been well worth the wait, and with all the time and patience I put into getting a doll, I'll always at least have one, even if I may not be buying new stuff.

*Do you feel as though someday you'll loose interest and get out of the hobby?
      It's hard to say where I'll be in a few years, but I really hope not!

*Can you see yourself passing your BJD collection on as a sort of heirloom (or do you believe with the nature of resin, it simply would not be a pretty situation in twenty years?)?
      Me? Having kids? o__O Naaah, I dunno. It would depend on the condition of the doll in question, mostly.

4. Life is too short for me to be second-guessing what I'm going to like in 20 years all the time. Que sera, sera - I try to enjoy things now, since now is where I am.

5. *Do you feel like your BJD collection is something you will keep and stay active with forever?
      I know that while I'm still young I have more time to stay active, take photos, make clothes but I can't say how it will be in the next 10 or more years. However I do see myself continuing to collect different sculpts

I don't think so, I will have less time for it but I'll still be just as interested in the hobby itself, and will most likely not sell the dolls I've come to acquire in the earlier period of having started the hobby.

*Can you see yourself passing your BJD collection on as a sort of heirloom (or do you believe with the nature of resin, it simply would not be a pretty situation in twenty years?)?
      I don't know what resin looks like after aging for 40+ years haha, I assume though that I'll do renewal services for a few (maybe?), I'd love to pass them on as heirlooms given that the person who's taking care of them knows how to appreciate them. Otherwise I think I'd just like to be buried with my resin family =p

6. Do you feel like your BJD collection is something you will keep and stay active with forever?
      When I first got into it, I didn't think of as potentially becoming a long-term hobby. Now that I'm about five years into it, I definitely feel as though I will. Perhaps I won't be too active later in the future, but I'll definitely keep my boys. There's far too much sentimental value in them for me...then again, who knows what will happen? But as of right now, I feel certain that I will keep them.

Do you feel as though someday you'll loose interest and get out of the hobby?
      Sometimes I do wonder if I will, but every time I think about it, it seems far from likely. I'm generally a lonely person--I don't spend too much time with other people and my other interests lie with political literature and film. If I don't have these dolls with me, I think I'd go crazy from isolation! They're also here to compensate for my suppressed creativity..they help me escape when I need to.

Can you see yourself passing your BJD collection on as a sort of heirloom (or do you believe with the nature of resin, it simply would not be a pretty situation in twenty years?)?
      I don't believe it will make a great heirloom years from now, but being that this is still a relatively new hobby, I'm not too worried. So yes, I can. I would probably pass them on to my niece..

7. Do you feel like your BJD collection is something you will keep and stay active with forever? Do you feel as though someday you'll loose interest and get out of the hobby?

It's hard to say . . . I've been in the hobby for five years now, but I've had other hobbies for years and then dropped out of them as my interests changed. This one has weathered some major life changes though so maybe it's here to stay?

Can you see yourself passing your BJD collection on as a sort of heirloom (or do you believe with the nature of resin, it simply would not be a pretty situation in twenty years?)?

I'm not really at an age where I'm thinking about what I'll do with my stuff after I die. :sweat Because this hobby is so personal and so involved though, I'm not sure they would make good heirlooms.

8. Do you feel like your BJD collection is something you will keep and stay active with forever?
      I relationship with BJD collecting is different from all my other hobbies. its the only one where I feel I have an active place to share my thoughts and ideas...I just can't click with groups about any of my other hobbies. So with that being said, while I might be less active, I don't think i'll go inactive any time soon.

I feel that one day I will stop buying. That I will widdle my collection to my absolute favorites, and I will keep those forever.

I would like to think I could pass on my dolls....but not if no one has genuine interest in them. If I don't die a sudden unexpected death, I might attempt to instruct someone how to sell my dolls when the time comes if need be. BUT since I don't plan to die yet I'd rather like to think that someday some relative will be like I LOVE YOU DOLLIE and I'll be like YOU MY FAVORITE and then they has the dolls. and they loves the dolls. the end.

9. The other day I realized I've had my first doll about five years now. In that time, there were months where I posed, styled, and photographed my dolls almost daily, and months where they sat on a shelf or were stored away in their boxes while I focused on something else. I gain and lose interest in them, but I think I will continue on in that cycle for years to come. I'd like to hand them down as an heirloom one day, so unless I desperately need the money, I don't see myself selling all my dolls anytime soon. Trimming down the group, sure, but not getting rid of everyone.

I think BJDs will continue to be a long-term hobby for me. I'm not always focused on them, but they are fun to come back to. In the past I've lost interest with some hobbies pretty quickly, so five years is like a personal achievement.

10. *Do you feel like your BJD collection is something you will keep and stay active with forever?

I think I'll keep it, but I'm not sure it's something I will stay forever active with. I drift between hobbies, sometimes focusing more on one hobby than another. But I think they're something I'll come back to time and again.

It doesn't feel like it, but if I do, I do.

Unfortunately no. I have no desire to have children, and even then, I'm not sure I would like my dolls being carried on to someone who doesn't 'know' them as only I can. I created these characters and I couldn't pass them along anymore than I could the characters in my novel. They're too personal and close to my heart, and only I know who and what they're really supposed to be. I'd simply have to wipe the faceups and sell them and their items individually.

11. Do you feel like your BJD collection is something you will keep and stay active with forever?
      Probably. In the hobbies I have had since my teens, I have never stopped, I just go onto different things. I flit from hobby to hobby I guess. Usually goes like this; Cosplay-Gaming-Gigs-BJD (Take BJD to a Cosplay event...and back round again!)

I think if I was going to I would of by now. I have been collecting for a number of years now, so I think its pretty safe to say they will stick around.

I dont know what they will be like in 20 years time. Hell, I dont know what I'll be like then. As for passing down, I'll have no one to pass them down to. I really can't see myself having kids.

12. I literally was going to say pretty much exactly this. No sense in repeating what's been said so well.

I like the customization of the dolls - it fits well into my love of being artistic. But at the same time, I don't want to be seen as the creepy doll lady - so my MSD girl never gets taken out other than to large meetups. I adore my PukiPuki though so I'm thinking smaller might be the way to go. *getting a LTF*

I thought I'd be into Anime forever - and while it's still an interest I rarely watch generic stuff anymore and the art and storyline of any manga I read have to be amazing. I've sold most of my stuff at this point.

So who knows, maybe BJDs will stay with me forever and maybe 10 years from now I'll give them up for something new!

13. <b>*Do you feel like your BJD collection is something you will keep and stay active with forever?</b>
      I think so, I did get out of my doll photography for about a year, but that was a very dark stressful year to me, and i had not yet gotten and BJDs (pullips and dals only then) but now that im back into it, i cant imagine leaving it again, now with my fairyland pukifees and lati dolls, i love them more than ive loved any dolls, and the BJD friends ive made keep me around more, I believe i will always have my dolls<3 at the very least, my most special ones.

<b>*Do you feel as though someday you'll loose interest and get out of the hobby?</b>
      I did once, as mentioned before but i was not as well known on flickr back then, so lack of comments and views and friends was part of why i drifted away. now i have quite a large following and bunch of friends, so with all the positive in take i doubt i could ever just let it go again :) AND i love the doll collection i have now.

<b>*Can you see yourself passing your BJD collection on as a sort of heirloom (or do you believe with the nature of resin, it simply would not be a pretty situation in twenty years?)?</b>
      I would love to pass my dolls on muuch later when i am unable to enjoy them (sick, too old, anything like that)

<b>Is it love? Is it forever?</b>
      It is absolutely love, i believe i will ALWAYS have my dolls, even if it is my select favorites only and i stop photographing them. they mean too much to me to get rid of them....some have been gifts from important people too :)<3

14. I will play with my doll forever ~ :3nodding: I definately won't quit from this hobby! :eusa_naug

15. I used to think that too, but then I realized that I just hadn't found the right dolls yet. But now that I have, it's different. I don't want them sitting there. I want to be able to interact with them frequently, and for them to be a part of me. Otherwise, it's not worth the money. xD If not a "for life" hobby, then definitely it'll be a "for long time" hobby.

16. I am pretty fickle so I really can't say for sure. The only thing I've stuck with is my religion and my husband.... But I don't think I'll ever sell ALL of my dolls. I hope it's a forever hobby, but I'm not gonna force it if I lose interest.

17. *Do you feel like your BJD collection is something you will keep and stay active with forever? I do. This is not only the most expensive hobby I've ever had, but also the most time consuming and I've had my oldest doll for over 4 years, loved dolls all my life. I'm an adult and have become comfortable with who I am, I really don't see it ever changing.
      *Do you feel as though someday you'll loose interest and get out of the hobby? no, I really don't.
      *Can you see yourself passing your BJD collection on as a sort of heirloom (or do you believe with the nature of resin, it simply would not be a pretty situation in twenty years?)? Ummmm...not really? I don't have kids, not going to, and really don't think my niece would appreciate the collection. I HAVE made it known who gets my dolls should something happen to me, but after I'm gone, it's really up to them what they do with them.

18. I plan to keep my dolls forever and if they last that long (barring breakage, etc.) I would like to pass them on someday. Granted, life happens: things break, as I said, or they get stolen or lost. But even if they're not pristine white in 20+ years, they'll still be well loved and full of their own individual memories and personalities.

19. *Do you feel like your BJD collection is something you will keep and stay active with forever?

As of right now it's safe to say I'm utterly obsessed with enjoying this hobby, I don't see myself stopping anytime soon. I have to put a hold on getting any new dolls until I actually have my own house (I told myself I was only allowed to have five max until I got my very own place to keep any more than that and my fifth one is awaiting shipping), but no, it is not something I ever plan to stop. I've debated trying to put my dolls in their cases for a week or so and seeing how long I can go without taking one out to play with, but I find myself in a grumpy mood and whining over the fact that I can't play with my dollies and they end up being unpacked within a day or two...

Actually I was afraid of that happening in the beginning, I have a tendency to sometimes go from one thing to the next in the hopes of keeping adventurous. My mother describes herself as a 'morpher' who has to switch jobs and move every three years at the longest (the longest we've lived in one place being three years) in order to keep from being bored, and I think I've gotten so used to it that I tend to do the same type of thing. But with my dolls I think it's different, and I actually think it stems from when we were moving around the only real physical constant I had outside of my family was my ragdoll Susie, and now that I'm grown and have moved around a couple of times myself once again my dolls have become my constant. Not to say that they have become replacements for my family, but more of a physical representation that no matter where I end up living so long as my dolls are there that place can be known as 'home'.

Seeing as I have no plans to reproduce or even get a boyfriend(part of this is me being anti-social, the other part is me just not wanting a boyfriend or kids), I don't know who exactly I would pass them on to. It kind of worries me because I begin to wonder what will happen to something I've put so much time and effort into when I'm gone... But as of yet I only have half-formed answers to that question and I figure(as much as an uncertainty as life is) I am still young and hopefully have time to find the answer.

20. *Do you feel like your BJD collection is something you will keep and stay active with forever?

I'm a great accumulator and a not so good dispenser. And I have a long habit of getting crazy interested in something only to move on within a year. I'm trying really hard to go slow with this hobby so I don't over invest financially and then regret it later. I know I could sell if I lose interest in the dolls, but like I mentioned, I'm a great accumulator but have a difficult time letting go, even after interest has passed.

Judging by past behavior, yes. I do think BJDs have some unique properties though, so maybe it will stick?

I don't know if anything will be in heirloom condition, but my poor kids will definitely have a lot of hobby hand-me-downs to sort through. :)