1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

About CoA's...

Aug 15, 2016

1. I've only been in the hobby for a year, and I did a bit of research beforehand regarding COAs. Since LUTS has those card-type COAs, I can easily store it in my wallet if I'd like- though it's a bit risky in case my wallet would get stolen or lost. That said, I keep mine in my trusty drawer, along with other important documents. In any case, suppose if someone lost their COA, the person in question could just present their transaction history from the website if directly bought, or from the card/paypal history. At least there's proof of purchase legitimacy that way.

2. Be aware, though, that company databases aren't forever.

When a site is redesigned (As Luts and Soom, just to name two, have been-) their old transaction database can be lost, and all of your old purchase records with it.

That's particularly annoying in Soom's case, since the serial number on the CoA of any Soom doll sold prior to the redesign can't be looked up using their on-line tool. Those older numbers will come up "not found", even though they're completely legitimate. Something that Soom STILL doesn't bother to mention anywhere on their site. <_<

3. I prefer to have a CoA, or course! Some of my dolls don't have them since they were second hand or maybe never did. I keep the ones I have. If for no other reason, to help remind me of their manufacture date in case I'm helping someone resin match. It may also help with insurance in case they were damaged by a fire or stolen from your home. The only thing I'd say has a major influence for me is how much I'm willing to pay for a doll second hand that's had it's CoA lost. I just will not pay as much as I might be willing for one that has the CoA and box. I suppose that's just the collector in me. I don't worry too much about recasts since I only buy second hand dolls in person or via the MP.

4. I threw away/lost the first two CoAs I got, but I'm hanging on to any I get now. I had no idea that recasts have become this huge, hotly-debated thing since going on hiatus, but now I know. :/ It was a totally different climate when I bought my first doll in 2009.

5. Well frick...

So in my case, I bought my Doll Love Midsummer back in 2013 on eBay through the reputable dealer listed here on DoA. I no longer have a record on eBay (only goes back to 2014) and I, can't for the life of me, remember if she came with a CoA. We've moved twice (back to the same place) since I've had her and I got rid of most of my BJD boxes to save on space. Life happens and it seems like some people don't understand that. :sigh

My other girls (other than my Obitsu but she's for sure a keeper) were all bought secondhand and did not come with a CoA - though my Luts did come with her original box.

Even in my other hobby, recasts are problematic and people want the CoA - those I do have but I periodically misplace them or they slip between the cabinet shelves where I'm storing them.

So in summary, CoA isn't terribly important to me because I'll research and study before I buy - but I'll try and make a habit of keeping/storing the CoAs just in case.

6. I keep everything; the box, CoA, owner's manual, etc. Most of my dolls are limited editions, so I've always made it a priority to keep these things. I wouldn't say I'd never purchase a doll without a CoA on the MP, since I have in the past if the seller is a long-standing and trusted member, but I've definitely made more purchases directly from the company to have that peace of mind and solid proof for my own collection.

7. I keep all of my doll stuff in one place, so I know where my CoA is at the moment. However not every company does CoAs to begin with; out of both of my dolls, only the head of my Flowne hybrid has a card like that. I've only ordered dolls directly from the companies so far, so Resinsoul and Mirodoll don't do CoAs while DIM does.

If I ever did purchase second hand I'd probably want to obtain the CoA if possible, just because recasting seems to be a big thing so it would be easy otherwise to get mislead.

8. I have all the doll boxes and coa's for my crew. I do hate storing the boxes, but feel they are important to keep as it is part of the doll's 'accessories'. Most of my dolls are from Doll Zone, and their coa is just a picture of the sculpt, no date, no serial number, nothing. Just a blue envelope, picture card, and instruction booklet.

Buying secondhand, the box is not important to me. Odd, as I keep the new boxes! I do want the coa, but it's not a deal breaker if the seller has good feedback, and is an active member on DOA.

9. Most of my dolls don't have CoA's, since they came to me in bits and pieces. I guess I'm doomed to be keeping them forever :D.

But seriously, I'm pretty sure you could sell your dolls, should you need to. Not everyone is adamant to get a CoA (I'm not) and there are plenty of ways to make sure that the doll is an original. Besides, you're able to find Volks CoA's for sale on Y!J, so even a certificate isn't proof enough that the doll isn't a recast.

10. I wish I could say I had the CoA for my girl Grimmoire she was an absolute grail, however being an old event head for one, and which I believe was before Fairyland started including CoA's; but she was bought from a retailer. Her body, also a good few years old, which was by some miracle yellowed the same amount, did come with her original box. Which unless photographed never leaves the box.

11. Personally I don't care that much about CoA availability. But when they do exist, I keep them safely in their original box. Never lose it then.

12. Depending on the company I like to have a COA with a doll, however I also like to have the original box and if the original box is included I generally feel there is a pretty good chance the doll is authentic. I also only buy secondhand from Japanese websites, which I generally feel adds credibility to authenticity claims as well.

13. This is very helpful, and I have done this before to prove where I bought a doll, but even this isn't always possible. For example, if you trade dolls a lot, there won't be a record of you buying the doll. You could save your DoA PMs or a screencap of them, but what about the dolls that got traded in person? I know lots of trading goes on at our local doll meets, and I have frequently traded dolls with my sister and friends.

Lakin, for example, is a Luts event head who never had a box or CoA and was a free gift with no purchase proof. I got him in a trade in person from my sister. She got him in a trade in person from a friend at a doll meet. I'm pretty sure even that person was not the first owner, and may have traded for him! This might be an extreme case, but he is one doll who has no paper trail and can't possibly be proven to have been a legit bought from the company, should I ever want to sell him. The only saving grace for him is that he is not known to have ever been recasted.