1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

About Mini dolls age

Jul 1, 2009

1. It's sometimes hard to say they're not children or teen, when you compare them to SD or taller dolls. Alone I think they could also be any age up to twens but next to an SD...
      It's just the fact that we automaticly think that way in comparison, because they're dolls. Otherwise they would look like beeing shrunken. *_*

Laoky

2. Just as my sister who is 2 years younger than me can look the same age as my other sister who is 4 years older than me (and have been mistaken for twins on more than one ocassion), I don't see why dolls have to be set as a certain age just because of their size or body type. Two of my minis are from the same company and therefor have the same body, yet one is 13 and the other is 17. Do I think they look odd together? Nope. Because the 13 year old has the body of one and my 17 year old has always been rather chunky and childish looking in my mind anyway. So it suits him. My other mini is right in the middle at 15, true he's a bit taller than them as well as slimmer, but that also suits his character. I think just so long as the sculpt fits what you as the owner envisions the character to look like, then there is no 'correct' age that you should have to abide by.

3. Mmm my mnf shushu is going to be 25 ish:)

4. I think MSD's seem to look like teens, or pre-teens. The SD and bigger dolls seem like they are mature adults in comparison. But it also does depend on the dolls. Some MSD's do look a lot more mature than others. So it's really kind of hard to say. Some people are short, and tiny framed, and even can look a lot younger than they really are.

In the end, I'd say it's best to just have fun with their age. You can make it what ever you want!

5. Oh wow...I didn't know Luts Kid Delfs were supposed to be that young! Well, considering what their bodies look like, it's not too surprising.

I have one MSD at home and she has a very mature body (Soulkid Double-jointed). I'd originally intended her to be around 12, but when I got her, that changed to 16. Her face doesn't look like it's too much older.

I have a Luts Bory Girl on the way and I'm planning for her to be in the 10-12 range. She's a little bit smaller than Adelheid by a few centimeters.

Had I planned things better when I bought my first doll, this might not be an issue as I would like the MSD to be kids and the SD (if any in the future) to be adults. Adelheid will be the one that stands out which is okay because she's my first doll.

6. I've looked at the dollmore MSD-size dolls and they look very mature. Some brands do the MSD with a more childish appearence, some not.

And I agree with you, Novae ! It's best to just have fun with their age :)

7. I think it can be whatever you want. My youngest characters are about 18-19, most of them are in their 20's. They're definitely not young kids.

8. I have a doll that's 12 and a doll that's 25, and they're the same height (give or take a centemeter). I don't really care, or notice. they're different heights... IN MY MIIIIIIIND. 8D

9. Even some human parents buy beautiful and expensive designer clothing for their very young children, (David and Victoria Beckham, anyone?) So clothing style and expense is no indication of a greater age, sometimes. I don't think that H.Naoto dress is particularly mature either, perhaps the colour, but the style could easily be worn by a six year old.

I think it depends on what the body shape and head shape look like. Volks MSDs are so chunky that I find it hard to believe they could be 10+ years old, whereas an MNF has a slender, mature body, so putting an MNF at a younger age seems strange to me.

Then again, Volks Yo-SDs have the body shape of a 5-6 year old, in my opinion, so having MSD supposed to be the same age or a tiny bit older, doesn't exactly work either...and Volks SD16 can look anywhere from 16-20! Ultimately you have to give your dolls an age that suits them.

10. I think it's intirely up to the doll owner to decide their age. All my MSDs are mature ones and I think they are over 20 all of them - except my CH Little Junior who's 35cm and a 13 - 14 year old boy.

I think for me it's because I'm old and I want my dolls to be adults so they are. Except the ones that I specificly decided were kids. Like my CH Ange Ai (27cm)

Actually this would be very common irl. My 3 year older brother and I were about the same height and looked similar mature through our teens. Girls are often more mature looking than boys. (And often they ARE more mature too) When I was 12 I had breasts like a Narae.

Dustbunnie

11. I think MSD's can run the gamut really. My MSD's will all be older, like in their late teens and early twenties. And that's IF they have a definitive "age" at all. Most of their characters are so old, it doesn't matter, because they aren't human anyhow! XD

And the size of the bust on a girls body has nothing what-so-ever to do with the girls age. I know women older than I am (24) with less boobage than I have now. I know I had pretty big boobs pretty darned early, so on girl dolls they could be anything. A small busted girl could be in her mid twenties, and large busted girl could be a quickly-developed pre- or early teen.

Honestly, I think the 'age' is more to do with who you think the doll should be, not what it's 'marketed' as. I know I've seen MSD's that seem like adults, and MSD's with faces more suited to someone of a childs age, which mostly turns me off. Its pretty much up to you as the owner though, I think.

*stops babbling at people now*

12. Size has nothing to do with it, but build/sculpt does determine the age (appearance-wise) of the doll. KDFs can be anywhere between 6-11 depending on head sculpt, I can't picture Cherry anywhere above 8, but Bory could pull off 11. None of them look like the could be anything but children. MNFs on the other hand look like teens (the faces are too childish for adults generally) most definitely not children.

13. Well my zola lee will be either 14 or 15. I have a cousin that is 15 and she is pretty dang flat. So who says they can't be a certain age? DANG! the boys can be ANY AGE! Cuz for the mostpart you can't tell. Also maybe they are vampires and where young when they were bitten? And then what if it was a fairy who is old but looks young? the possabilities are endless! and maybe your mature girl is just well endowed! ;)

14. How do you all determine the age?

15. Right now I have 4 Volks MSDs. 10, 11, 12 and 25. XD my 25 year old is the oddball though, her character is trapped in the body of a 13 year old. So I see the Volks about that age, the realskin Kid Delfs a little older, but not much, and then the Minifee at young to mid teen. But that's me.

It all depends on your character and how you view your dolls and how you expect them to interact with your other dolls. My dolls live in a 1/3 scale world, so my SD and SD13 are the "adults" and my MSDs and Yo-SD are the "kids." If your adults are 1/4th scale, your MSD sized dolls will be the adults and you adjust, or not, from there depending on your preferences. Some people, like myself, are very concerned about how dolls look together and will choose not to have a MNF interact as the same age as and MSD. While others are less concerned or will have a different storyline going on where it's perfectly acceptable to them to have their MSD and MNF being the same age. There's no right or wrong way to do it. It's what makes these dolls so great; it all ultimately comes down to what you want to do.

16. I determine the age by artistic "perfect" proportions, and characteristics of a body.

The perfect proportions for a one-year-old is four and a half heads tall; an eight-year-old is a bit over six heads tall, and a twelve-year-old is around 7. This is of their own heads, of course; similarly, the perfect proportions for a grown woman/female teen is somewhere between 7 and 8 heads, and a man/male teen is somewhere between 8 and 9 (These are artistic proportions; add about 2 heads to each measurement for ones used in fashion). With males, however, age is further judged by body characteristics - width of shoulders, length of leg, thickness of waist. Most teenage boys have the lanky proportions of a lot male BJD bodies, where as older men tend to be more square, stocky, and broad-shouldered (Okay, not all, and some not as drastically as others, but it's the effect of testosterone on their bodies.) That's why it's easier to tell a man's age than it is a woman's.

Additionally, the presence of "baby fat"/smoothness of limbs can also be used to tell the age. For example, KDF's have chubby hands, feet and ankles, and very smooth limbs, along with, forgive me for sounding like a perv, a very round, child-like butt. Most older children begin to lose their baby fat as they approach puberty (especially boys), so the presence of baby fat in the sculpt can serve as an indication.

Following that logic, most immature MSD's fall into the "before 8" category because very few of them are over 5.5 heads tall, and they've all got some child characteristics. That's their PHYSICAL age, of course. They can be whatever age, but their physical age is pretty set. My Michael is, counting from his date of birth, is over 100 years old; but physically, he is 9 (well, proportionally he's even younger than that, but I explained my reasoning before). The fact that he's 100 and wears adult clothes doesn't change the fact that he looks like, and has the face and body of, a kid.

17. Thank you for going into the detail that I was too lazy to type out. :lol:

Since you brought up the effect of testosterone on male bodies and how it makes their age easier to judge, I'll share some observations on women's bodies as they age.
      It really is easier to tell men's ages by build, but women have a few give-aways as well. One that's impossible to tell while clothed is breast shape, an adult woman's breast tend to look more weighted and settled than those of a teenage girl (SDelf girls have a teenage build, Supias an adult one). This is general of course and easy to fudge since breasts are covered most of the time. Women's thighs and waists lengthen during puberty and don't settle until after they are 16-18 years old. The definition and curve of the waist, thighs, calves and collarbones are generally more pronounced on an adult woman. This is once again general and varies by individual (it can also be effected by race and, more often, estrogen distribution).

18. I think its really up to the owner to decide how old they think their doll is. Personally I feel like the Luts Kids are maybe 16-18. Being an asian girl in her mid 20s my bustline is still very small, and I am often mistaken for being in high school, so I know how these girls must feel haha!

19. I have two MSDs, a Dollzone Shoyo and a Minifee Ryeon. My Shoyo is 18 and my Ryeon is 21. Soon I will get my Lady Bee, I think she will be 12 years old, because of the chubby body.

20. The size of the doll doesn't have to denote the "age" of the doll. I collect MSD sized dolls because they are right for me. Tiny dolls are too hard for me to dress and sew for because I have lost some dexerity in my hands due to arthritis. The SDs are too large. I have both mature and immature MSDs. It doesn't bother me, and it doesn't seem to bother them. My Sprite is immature and it suits her fine.