1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

About Mini dolls age

Jul 1, 2009

1. I have both types of MSDs. My slim MSDs represent characters in their early 20s and late 20s (girl then boy respectfully). My Volks MSD is 8 maybe 9. She doesn't "talk" but some pictures I can push her age to maybe 11/12 depending on the outfit. But I don't focus on the ages too much. It doesn't matter until I do photostories and I rarely do those.

2. My MSD's are all pre teens or teens. Some are more mature, like the Dollzones MSD.

3. In my main doll family, the MSDs are the biggest dolls, so I have no size issues with considering them the adults (no specific ages, though, they're just in the "adult" range), with two of the tinies as their "children" and one as a "pet."

4. I don't really care whether mine are adults that look like kids or kids that look like adults. You can have both in real life. In fact I looked older when I was younger and younger now that I'm older.
      I wonder if I get misteken for the same age as I was back then? I dunno.

5. I think originally, the MSD (from Volks) were supposed to be children to the SD's but people liked the size and wanted to use that size for adults and so doll companies started making adult versions. Unfortunately this idea still haunts the MSD's. Like my Iplehouse Ryan. He has a mature body, but the company has been toning him down feeling he needed to look younger body wise. Also the faces they provide for that size are definitely more immature compared to their large dolls which are very masculine and muscular. This is prevalent in just about every doll company that I’ve seen. The MSD’s tend to be “cutied” down a bit. But I like the size so … and I like adult dolls so… I just live with it, though I’d like a really manly man in MSD size :P

6. I think it really depends on the sculpt. Immature bodies remind me of younger adolescents, while the mature ones can sometimes push into the 20's if the head sculpt is mature enough looking.
      I'm looking mostly at sculpts that give me an 'older' look because that's what I want and I'm finding more than enough in MSD's that do, while also seeing an equal number that look younger.

Besides the sculpts I also think it depends on the face-up, hair, eyes, and clothes that the dolls are put into.

7. Exactly.

On more than one occasion people have asked if my younger sister is twins with my older sister, and they have six years between them! And people always assume I am the youngest of us three. I have a friend who is 20 and people often think she is 16, another friend who even in her mid-teens people confused for being in her mid-30's :doh

This is why I have no problem saying my two dolls from the same company have a 5 year age difference between them, despite some people thinking they can pass off as twins. With SDs for some reason I am much pickier about matching sculpt to age, but with MSD size it just makes sense (to me) to give a little more leeway.

8. Goodness! My friend and I were just talking about this this morning!
      In my opinion, it has a lot to do with how you dress them and how the face up looks.
      I think a good example is Tatiana, because if you look at her Noctarcana Circus characters, she looks 14-ish in her trapeze costume (to me anyways) because she has that childish ballerina/fairy princess look to her and simple, dewy lips, cheeks and eyes but in the pierrot costume, she's wearing a sexier outfit in darker colors and the dramatic makeup makes her look (again, to me) more seductive. But I dont think height has any bearing, I'm barely 5 feet tall and I have a large chest and am 21. I have a friend who's 20 and is only 4'10 with a thin, flat-chested build. If i were gonna make a doll of her, i'm sure people would think it were a doll of a 10 year old, haha.

this is a very good discussion!

9. i think it has a lot to do whit the eyes to big eyes makes a doll look a lot younger than thinn eyes (they tend to look older)

10. My Pluto Doll head on kid delf body is around 12-13 years old, as is his bodiless twin sister, but my AoD girl is around 15-18 (I started off thinking of her as around 15, but now she seems more older to me).

The kid delf body is definately 'thicker' which to me, makes it look younger. My AoD has a definate more mature body with a full bust and small-ish waist....

I've had a Narae and Unoa in the past and they were aged around 17 years old.

11. My two MSD girls have a big age range, but how I "see" them in my head doesn't necessarily match with their resin shell and I'm not bothered by that. Rico (DZ Feilian) is in her mid-thirties, while Vera (DZ Fei) is physically much younger, around her early twenties.

12. Well, I don't have my girl yet. But, I can say that MSD age is like human ages - if you think about it. There are 20 year olds who look 14, there are 13 year olds who look 18, and there are 5 year old who look 10. It really depends on your doll's character bio, I s'pose.

13. I agree with some of the others on here on the whole body type thing not necessarily matching the age of a person, or doll. I have a friend who is 20 and has to carry an ID everywhere because she looks 15.
      I have a KD Cherry Girl, and while her body looks less mature, her mold fits my character almost perfectly.

14. No, I don't think MSDs have to be children. Same goes for "the boobs on tinies is always wrong"-discussions. There are differences in how people develop so any doll can bascially be any age...well unless it's a very, very obvious child-doll like the Supia babies (or unless the babies are vampires, but that's just me being silly) :lol: Most of my minis are teens, but I think they could as well be 30 if I decided that I wanted them older. If it's a question of "boobage" I've seen quite flat people in my own age as well as really busty high schoolers. So I think the same thing could apply to dolls.

And I've also decided to have one of my incoming tinies as a teen too, a chubby and short one. She doesn't look like a realistic child so I let her be the same age as the others because I don't care much for childcharacters personally.

15. It might depend on if the doll is human or not.
      I have one luts msd and she is a half elf half demon and I have an Minifee space elf.
      They can be anything from 11 to 111 years old.
      But somehow I think they don't differ that much in mental age.
      Although I think the space elf might be a bit smarter and the half elf demon a little more thinking trough instinct.
      I do find the mental age more important than the actual body age.

16. I don't know if the mold matters. My MSD has a fairly immature body, and I've never given him an age, I imagine him as a child but when I think about his "back story" as it were, I would think he's probably at youngest 17, and that would be pushing it but more likely in his very early 20s, even though his small wardrobe is very childish.

17. For me, I'd think that it's just whatever works for the doll. My MSD is less mature than my Puki! Although my Puki is convinced she's supposed to be an SD, so I'm not really sure...

18. Just as with humans, the dolls can look one age, and be another. I've been told that I look 14, and yet, I'm actually 21.

I have one Kid Dollmore girl, who is supposed to look 16-17ish, then my MNF is going to be around 18.... it really depends. They're your dolls, you decide their ages ^^

19. There was a girl back in my home town that was being taken to my high school to see if she could enrol there probably a few months toa year before I was leaving.
      The girl was about 12/11 but because she has something like dwarfism she looked about two.
      Knowing that she would be slaughted if she went there we warned her parents about the high school.
      I can only hope she didn't go, but it goes to show you how young someone can look compared to their actual age.

20. I have two MSD boys and two floating heads that will one day be MSD girls. They all have big eyes, long hair, and soft, youthful faces that could easily look like children. However, due to their body shape and the clothing available I see my dolls as either teenagers or young adults.