1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Actual stores for BJDs?

Jun 23, 2011

1. If only California weren't such a huge state! - The Volks LA store is just down south, but I still have never managed to get there because I don't drive. I'm stubbornly holding out for CA to finally get its shit together for a high-speed rail between LA & SF. :XD: Luckily, we have the internet. I do love online shopping.

But... having been to visit Japan, and having gotten a taste of shopping in stores that stock things specifically for BJD, and secondhand shops, and company outlets... Tenshi-no-Sato... :love I can't say that it wouldn't be a total fantasy having a scene like that here! Boy howdy. I could sure get used to seeing-before-buying, not to mention a lack of shipping costs. (California sales-tax costs almost as much as shipping anyway, so I should really rein in that fantasy. ^^)

2. There's one near where I live. It's a couple hours drive and I haven't been there yet but I'd like to visit. Mintoncardinc!

3. If only Elon Musk's Hyper Loop would get some traction! LA to SF in 30 minutes! I'm planning on some doll shopping when I go to LA in February for the James Turrell show at LACMA.

I think it would be great for things like resin matching for hybrids and clothes sizing to have a brick and mortar store available. As people have mentioned, most of the BJD web sites have terrible photos or what I call "imaginative" photos that don't give you a sense of the whole doll but focus on some really nice fuzzy views. There's some sculpts I've seen on the internet that looked nowhere near as good on the manufacturers site and some others that looked way better than what's on the company site. The other part of the equation here is that often it's much better to surf for dolls on MoC's site than on some of those individual companies sites. I love being able to shop late at night (usually when I should be sleeping) but man, it would be nice to see some of that stuff for real.

4. I live about 30 min from the Doll Corner in Edwardsville, IL. They sell some bjds and she's always getting more. I really like to get my wigs there b/c I can try them on. And the owner is really cool. I can never get out of there in under an hour lol. Clothes I'm half and half. Its nice to try things on and she'll even let me return them if they dont fit. But online just has so much more variety.

5. As much as I love shopping online and having lots of choices, the quality of doll clothes tends to run the gambit. Unless you are buying from somewhere with a reputation or that you are very familiar with, you run risk of getting an item that is poorly made or low quality. That's why I love the idea of having a store to visit. We don't have one near my home, but I do visit Denver sometimes, so next time I plan to go to DDE. Dolls seem to be getting more popular, maybe there will be more stores in the future?

6. It would be awesome to shop at a store for BJDs! Unfortunately I don't think there are any near me.

7. What do you prefer, online shopping, or having an actual store?
      Personally, online hooping makes me anxious, so I would prefer a physical store that carries BJDs/BJD stuff.

DO you have a store in your area?
      Unfortunately, no.

Would you have the initiative to start one if you were a business minded individual?
      Probably not, but I would appreciate anyone who did!

8. What do you prefer, online shopping, or having an actual store?

I like online because there are more and diverse items. I like an actual store nearby when I need to have something RIGHT AWAY, or when I just want to see things in person (since buying online is bad for getting to see if the item really looks like what you want).

I have had stores in my area, yes. Not any big one currently open, though... but I used to go to the Volks US store and the Elfdoll/Artmaze store...

Would you have the initiative to start one if you were a business minded individual?

No. I don't think it would work unless you also had a very well-established online store already, with many customers and a warehouse with lots of space and very good employees, etc. Brick and mortar stores are expensive--you have to pay rent and clerks and other workers and to have enough in stock would mean a big place and you might not know your customers well enough to stock what they want to buy. Your customers would also have to travel to you, which costs them time and money... That inhibits them from coming and buying a lot.

There's a reason why there are not a lot of doll stores around. It isn't an easy business to start up and keep running.

9. There's no stores near me unfortunately... Or in my country for that matter (that I know of). I'd love to go to one, though I doubt I'd open one myself. I feel it'd be very hard to keep it open with how spread apart the people in this hobby are.

On that note, I'm going to Paris and London in September and it'd be amazing if I could go to a store there. Does anyone know if there's any in those cities? OP mentioned one but that was years ago and there was no info sooo...

10. Online shopping in easy but not preferred because I don't feel spoiled. I don't have a store in my area which wouldn't matter to how I want to experience my doll shopping. I would probably start shop but....well I can't say. Although, Isn't it easier to just get on a plane and go have a fun time finding stores of individual bjd companies? Just walk in and buy a few things. A fun experience. They will always be on the internet when you go back home so you don't miss anything.

11. Just found a video tour of the Denver Doll Emporium store! I wish I could have a chance to go someday

12. What do you prefer, online shopping, or having an actual store?
      Actual store would be nice. Being able to bring your doll in and hold it up side by side a product you'd want would be most beneficial. Along with less waiting time.

Nope! Nothing but antique stores.

Hell yeah, but I would have to move to a more city like area. I'm a country mouse at the moment.

13. Denver Doll Emporium is technically a few hours away from where I live... but only "as the crow flies". It's over a mountain range with roads I would not like to try in winter. I live about the same distance from plenty of other places far easier to actually get to. There's only two major highways or what I'd call Freeways in this state, and they become quite pitiful and winding up in high mountain passes. We have hundreds of miles upon miles of uninhabited land out here.

Then again, In the Western US, you measure road distance by hours, not really by distance. The distances are Too Dang Big.
      For some idea of scale: The entire "main Albion Isle" of the UK could just about be tucked inside the borders of my current state of residence, which has only one place anyone from elsewhere would call an actual City by size.

So while it looks as if I live close to Denver... I really really don't.