1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Addicted to DoA?

Feb 10, 2010

1. I spent a lot of time on it when I was new to the hobby and kind of finding my way around and figuring out what I liked, didn't like, etc. But not so much lately. Many of the topics seem to repeat after a while...and repeat...and repeat...and while it might be very interesting for new folks to read the umpteenth discussion on how to do a faceup, how to deal with your parents saying "too much money" or your friends saying "creepy", or whether your dolls are girls or boys, or the 500th photostory about some fantasy time travel character in love with a witch in the form of a doll or whatever, it just wears thin after a bit. I pretty much just look at a handful of forums now and pop in for a quick break a couple times a day, and spend the rest of my time elsewhere.

I do miss the sculpting forum, I understand why it had to go away but it was one of my favorite parts of the board (the sculpts are my favorite part of the hobby) and its disappearance was one thing that encouraged me to spend a bit less time here.

2. actually figured out my average hours spent on here looking and reading and talking usually between 4 and 8 hours a day depending if i work on not and ruffly 32 hours a week O.o

Life? what life?

3. I'm constantly checking and rechecking this website ever since I decided that I wanted to get a doll myself (still saving up for my first). Mostly I'm reading random threads that pop up, but I'm also watching other threads and things I find interesting. This is a fantastic place for a newbie and non-dolly owner like myself to learn a lot of things before making that first purchase. I think when I'm finally able to buy my first doll, I'll be fully satisfied and properly prepared thanks to this place. :)

4. Yeh the sculpting area that was very interesting! Intervention would have a REALLY hard time breaking the habbit! You can see it now the dolls laying on the floor and them all saying "Well play with them then!!" your computer has been removed, there will be no internet.

5. Oh man, I don't think I actually want to know how much time I spend on here its so much (kind of like how I don't want to know how much I have spent on dolls and doll related items :sweat) I am hopelessly addicted, but never regretful. However, at the same time, this hobby makes me so happy, and in a sense I find comfort in knowing how much time I spend playing with them and looking at things relating to them online, it just goes to show that what we have spent on them wasn't wasteful, no matter what others try and tell us :)

6. Raises my hand slowly...yes, I'm on here every single day. I gave up on having morning coffee with the newspaper and switched to having it with DoA every morning instead. And I couldn't be happier about it because the news was really depressing, and DoA is really creative and uplifting! I also find it very inspirational for keeping me on my creative toes, and a totally awesome research tool as well. Whenever I have some spare time, I like to log on, connect with the ABJD community, and see what's up...it's always something, isn't it? And I never fail to be entertained. But I don't feel one bit guilty because it keeps me happy and motivated...my house is clean, my dolls are dressed and happy, my family is fed and content, my pets are well cared for, and my long list of creative projects continue to get done one thing at a time. I'm the kind of person who always has to be doing something, so the intellectual and artistic stimulation DoA offers is a good thing.

7. Am I ADDICTED to DOA? Does Elmer fudd have a hard time with the letter R? does Charlie Daniels play a mean fiddle? Yes doa is the first page I am on first thing when when i get up in the morning. and the last thing I look at before I go to bed.

the only outher Web sites that Im addicted to are

http://www.space.com/

to much of a science and astronomy freak

and

http://www.emilystrange.com/

I'm too much of a emily fan not to be their all most every day.

I Can't wait to get the new ball-jointed emily doll. I have allready preorded it.
      check it out here.

http://www.emilystrange.com/Shop/Collectables/Toys/Emily_Alone_At_Last/

They did a great job. It looks great!

8. I spent hours and hours a day here.. there is so much too look at.. *sigh*

9. I'm on here so much i never really play with the dolls i bought!

hehe...only joking...or am i?

10. I'm on here every day, but before I ended up between jobs I wasn't on much. When I start back up on my new job, that'll begin again. I'm here so much (several hours a day) to get ideas for things to do, specifically furniture. I'm stealing ideas and mushing them around while I visit this site, planning a doll house, like when I was a kid. But bigger. Much...muuuuuch bigger.:)

11. I'm on DoA every. single. day. No matter what it seems. I am hopelessly addicted and I have been since I joined here in '08. *points to post count* I lurk around in the puki threads, mnf threads, the mp..... I use to always go to the sculpting threads, that was cool. I work 3rd shift and when you are off and want to do something entertaining its hard. There is nothing on TV so I resort to DoA and look at all the pretty pictures! When I'm on the internet, I'm here! We'll be sitting around talking/watching a movie/reading and we'll go: "Who played blah blah in that movie we saw yesterday??" and I rush to go look it up on google and then quickly check DoA for any up dates. xD

I'm hopeless.

12. I don't think addicted is the correct term - I don't crave DoA when I'm not on it, and if I'm separated from it for long periods of time due to internet inaccessibility, I don't spend all my time thinking about it, or go through withdrawals, or anything like that. However, I do spend a lot of time on here. Generally I spend a lot of time on the computer, period, and DoA is one of the things I always have open, even though the time I spend actively browsing and/or posting varies from day to day. I might show as "on" for hours on end, but in reality I'm playing a game (currently Borderlands) or watching a movie on my laptop, and just have the window open in taskbar.

13. O... I do go in withdrawal, if im not on a couple of days im absolutely sure im missing out on some amazing stuff...And run to find the nearest connection.

14. DoA is on my bookmarks bar if that's any indication of how readily accessible I need the site to be for me xD Yes, I can't be bothered to type in the web address.

Since I spend the majority of my time going between my college classes and the laptop in my dorm, I always have DoA open even if I may not be browsing through it at the time. I'm a lurker, so I don't post much...but I'm trying to get more involved now. I also love going through Flickr for more BJD pictures...

-M

15. :fangirl:Ah, such a comfort to know I'm not alone! DoA is the frst site I check in the morning - usually before I even out of bed! It's the last place I visit at night. I can't face adding up the hours I spend on here inbetween, then I'd be forced to face up to the full extent of my addiction! There's just so much to see and do on here, I couldn't bear to go without my fix for too long

16. Thanks for all the responses guys! :)

17. I have spent so many hours surfing the galleries and forums here researching for my next doll that I have literally thought non-stop about dolls, even while asleep. I go to bed thinking of dolls, and I wake up still thinking about them. I am dreaming about them. This is ridiculous.

A person needs to get out more. Luckily, today I am getting out. But... it's to go sew doll clothes with a friend ><

18. I'm on EVERY SINGLE SECOND I'M AWAKE XDDDDD
      My school is run on our laptops, so it's always, as you said "at least, minimized"
      It's always on. I am SO addicted. And I usually have a minimum of 3 tabs open on a window with DoA on it XDDDDD
      I'm always either in General Discussion, New Posts, Dolly Debate, or Marketplace XD -soooo obsessed- I'm actually giving a big speech on bjd's this year, and 1/3 of it is on DoA <3

19. *sigh* I do indeed spend way too much time here. I have bookmarks on the bar of my Firefox and they go as such: Hotmail, LOLcats, Engrish, F My Life, Google Weather, Den of Angels, and Denver Doll Emporium (I like looking there @.@). I check DoA every time I get online...at least once.

20. i go through phases - sometimes i don't check it for days, sometimes i spend and hour or more posting and replying and browsing. I try to check in every day or every other day (at least the "News" section) but sometimes i just don't. I guess i'm w/ Bunnydots in that after a few years you see a lot of repetition.