1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

advice to your past self

Jan 9, 2017

1. Look at more dolls and companies before you buy a doll. Don't get the first one you see.

2. Your dolls are for you. Don't stress about whether or not others like or understand why you love them.

3. Don't be afraid to jump in. The prices make things seem scary at first, but they're really more attainable than they look. Just buckle down and work hard for them and it'll make it all worth it in the end.

4. Research into artist dolls before investing thousands of dollars into BJD companies! There are SO many artist dolls that I find so gorgeous but I'm already waiting on a couple preorders from larger BJD companies.

I'm not hating on BJD companies at all! But, as time progresses, I find myself wanting to support small businesses and independent BJD artists! If there is a sculpt that I'm absolutely in love with from a BJD company, I won't hesitate on preordering (case in point, my Minifee Rens and Minifee Hwayu who I preordered on a whim).

5. Get the doll you wan limited edition *_*

6. My advice is actually to the self that hasn't gotten into the hobby yet. I remember in high school I stumbled on a Korean BJD sculptor's website/forum, she made so many posts with pictures of beautiful parts, but for some reason I wasn't interested back then and closed the tab after a short glance =__=.
      I seriously miss the site, but can't recall any useful information to find it now. If I could go back in time I'd at least jot down some key information like site name or artist name or whether it's a shop or a forum!

7. No impulse buys! I've had the opportunity to buy 2 dolls I thought were grails, let them pass and beat myself up about it. I've later realised that I actually don't like them as much as I thought i did.

I think a lot of it is about people's styling. I see a doll done a certain way, and want that doll rather than sculpt. If that makes sense.

8. This, so much this. This is your doll, do what you want. Also, don't be afraid to branch out. It may seem odd in the short-term, but long term the crew will look rather cool together. People are all different, why can't your dolls do the same thing?

But don't be afraid to try new things as well. You want to try to sew for your dolls, do a faceup, do photography with your dolls? Cool! Nothing comes out pretty the first try, just keep trying until it looks right.

9. (1) Stay away from the white resin CP dolls. You'll absolutely hate the color they eventually turn, and once you have Nightengale and his massive ear-mod done in "beauty green", you're stuck with him.

(2) That "shared world" thing you're going to do with your friends? DON'T. By all means, keep the friends. They're good... But don't do the Three Houses business. That's not going to turn out so well, and you'll end up resenting a few of your own dolls for awhile when it all goes to the dogs.

(3) Remember that it's easier NOT to buy a doll in the first place than it is to try to sell it off later. Be a little pickier with your additions to the crew, especially where Soom is concerned.

(4) Just buy the flippin' Celestyn while you can. They aren't going to exist on the secondary market at any price, so it's your only chance. Likewise... pounce on those two Lati guys. Yes, they're a different style than your CPs. No, they don't "match" them. But trust me, you'll have a hell of a time finding an M or a K later.

(5) Don't buy so much fabric. Yes, you like to sew... but you'll never have time to use this much of the stuff. You'll need the closet space for other things.

10. Do NOT freakin buy that Vocaloid Dal, you don't even use it for photographs now, that 109 could've gone to an RS Mei. You do NOT like Pullips so don't try to get into them.

Avalon is supposed to be blonde/honey blonde, you won't regret buying him a perfect wig.

Don't, just don't buy those releaserain yo-sd shoes, even on your third yo-sd they don't fit. Buy something else.

Just BUY that freaking Resinsoul Mei, yes it's expensive yes you're still not sure. YES YOU STILL WANT HER YEARS LATER AND KICK YOURSELF EVERY NOW AND THEN WHEN YOU REALIZE YOU DON'T HAVE HER. NO YOU DO NOT NEED HER ON A BOY BODY TO JUSTIFY IT.

Also you'll have a ton of OC's to shell. Plan accordingly.

11. Be more consistent and just save your money. I could have two or three dolls if I could save earlier.

12. LOL that was the advice my friends gave me! Do not start the hobby... and I totally didn’t listen XD

13. Me neither. But dolls really aren't drugs... Vide supra. :lol:

14. To my past self:
      Don't let that Volks shop assistant your card, he wouldn't give you back, it's a trap.
      The rest of the things: You did it well going wild.

15. Don't use dryer sheets to detangle his hair. It does not work and will ruin it forever. ;_;

16. That is so true! I have jumped at a lot of dolls on the secondhand market and thought "oh, I can sell it off quick later!" Wrong.....

Advice to myself is: Know the difference between dolls that you love and dolls that you'd love to own. I'm OK with enjoying a sculpt but not owning it, but for a while I was trying to snap up every little popular doll in sight!

17. note to my past self: start earlier!

18. Don't buy on impulse, spend even a week more looking for infos about the artist/company/sculpts etc...etc.....

(I bought a doll on impulse and now i am regretting it cause i really don't like her.)

19. 1. Don't post pictures online. Ever. You'll want to, but it will suck you into a world you don't want to see and destroy a lot of love you had for the hobby.
      2. Similarly, don't enter competitions or contests.
      3. Do not let go of any Delf ever. Trust me, you will regret it
      4. That domadoll Okki? Yeah, don't sell her either, that one's gonna haunt you.
      5. If a deal smells bad, trust your nose.

20. I totally agree. And there's always second hand market too.