1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

advice to your past self

Jan 9, 2017

1. Patience! Be patient! And just buy Volkses ;)
      Anyways think all the past was great experience which brought me to the place I am now in doll hobby. And even now sometimes I am so impulsive haha so need to repeat after myself: patience, dolls won't go anywhere, just wait :)

2. It's okay to have multiple hobbies, and multiple interests. Its okay if some of them are expensive---try not to focus on the money so much. Its worth your happiness. Just be smart about your descisions. Try to let go of guilt. Don't be ashamed you like dolls. Its not weird, or gross, it doesn't make you crazy, don't listen to people being mean to you. If it sparks joy, keep it, and be honest with yourself. You'll sell some stuff you wish you hadn't, and thats okay, it all part of the process and experience. Just learn from it and keep going.

3. Don’t settle for an in-stock doll you’re not totally in love with, just for the instant gratification of getting a new doll a few days later. You WILL likely sell them in a few months when you regret not putting the money towards a doll that you’ve actually really been wanting and waiting a while for them to come in, instead. Patience is a virtue in this hobby, and not having any will only unnecessarily stress you out.

Also, don’t let other people in the hobby dictate your own feelings and decisions concerning YOUR dolls. Love what you love and do what you think is right. Hearing suggestions is fine, but in the end, your opinion matters most.

And finally, don’t listen to those that don’t particularly like your faceups and styling. It’s normal and okay to gain skill and experience over a long time. Most people don’t master arts like that right away. Don’t compare yourself to others, and you will be much happier with what you’ve done.

#83 dxgirly, Mar 8, 2021
      Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    4. Be patient. Don't buy the doll you don't like as much but can afford more quickly - save up some more money and get the one you really like. You don't need to have two dolls, one is enough if it's the one you want. You also don't need to have two complete dolls - you can buy one head and one full doll, if the size and skin tone matches. Make plans, be patient, have fun.

5. I would grab myself by the face and get in uncomfortably close and say "Stop impulse buying! Stick to the list!" I only started buying dolls in the summer of 2020 and I already have 6. I'm not saying I regret any of them, I truly love them all, However! I have a somewhat long list of dolls I want and I don't have a single one on said list. Instead of buying a doll right away, add it to the list and wait a few weeks at least and see if you feel the same. Don't have to but it the minute you see it haha,

At the same time, and I know this seems contradictory, but I would have taken the leap sooner back when I had the money. So yah, buy earlier and spend slower.

6. When a resin foot struggles with a tight shoe, the shoe always wins!
      "...Crack..." :eusa_naug

7. Don't let FOMO talk you into going for limited dolls you aren't absolutely in love with just because you're scared you won't be able to find them later for a reasonable price. You'll never love them as much as the dolls you're willing to go above and beyond to get, and you'll just end up selling them down the line.

8. First advice to my past self: t's ok to like the more expensive dolls, these are the ones that will ultimately stay in your collection :XD:
      Also: don't buy a doll head separately from the body... you'll learn that you hate searching for a body in the aftermarket that matches the yellowing of the head!

9. Do not buy a BJD just because you can afford it. If you like a more expensive one, wait some time until you have enough money.

10. As with several here I would tell myself to stop with the impulse buys. I am definitely an instant gratification person, and it is especially bad when I am waiting on a doll. While I was waiting on a preorder I ended up buying a several dolls by the same artist second hand. Now I wish I had either just waited, or not done the preorder at all. Of all the dolls I bought while waiting for that preorder there was only one I didn't care for, and now that I have the preorder the doll I thought I wanted the most I am feeling meh about.
      Since I know I am impatient, I should stay away from preorders. Dolls always eventually show up second hand, so I need to just wait it out.
      Another thing I would tell myself is stop trying to get one of every sculpt I love in a photo! I do not need them all. Photos are a funny thing, sometimes what I think I really want changes once that doll shows up. I have been disappointed plenty of times. It is hard because I won't know how I truly feel about a doll until it arrives, but I need to stop filling in my time with buying dolls while waiting, that is the biggest thing.
      I also notice that the more I look at stuff the more I want it. Watching YT videos and looking at pics on IG is a bad influence on me. It is one of the reasons I keep uninstalling my IG and unfollowing people. I obviously have a mental issue about this and when I feel that my impulses are too out of control for comfort I back off from everything :( I wish there was a way to just enjoy the hobby without giving in to every impulse I have. Right now because of job stability and having extra income it is easy to justify buying, but of the last 6 dolls that have arrived, I am regretting 3 of them. I keep saying I will list them, but I have been lazy.
      I really need to go on a no buy, at least for a while, and maybe only buy one at a time and not buy anything until the doll arrives rather than buying 3 dolls while waiting on a doll smh

11. I would tell myself to not worry so much about putting arbitrary limits on my collection. In the beginning I was always setting limits such as numbers and size, But as the years rolled on I realized that I needed more diversity and freedom to build the fantasy world my heart truly yearned for. And my numbers were only limited by the space I had to display them (and I was able to get pretty creative with that!);) In the end, with careful research, hunting and budgeting, I was truly able to build the collection of my dreams, and what a wonderful and fascinating journey it’s been.:)

12. Things I wish I could tell my younger self about BJDs:

It will feel like you'll never get one, and it will take a long time to finally do it, but once you buy your first BJD, everything you hoped about them is true, as well as things you never thought of. They're gorgeous, and they have presence that you can't understand until you see one in person, but you will have some that are the best cuddlers, and some who are the best silent companions; having them helps you feel less alone on bad days, and they're always there for a hug.

No two doll purchases will feel the same, and that's okay.

It's okay to sell your dolls, and it's okay to be upset about it, even if you know it's the best call. Selling can be a pain in the ass, and if you think you might want to sell one of them, your gut will tell you if it's the right call.

You will fall hard for dolls you never thought you'd want to own, and you'll buy more dolls than you think; some will stay, many won't, and that's okay. Posing is important to you, but the more important thing to you is how the doll feels in your hands.

No grail is *completely* unattainable; trust me on this.

People will make you feel insecure and crappy about your hobby; it's okay that it hurts, and it's also okay to tell them to fuck off.

Trawling Mandarake, Dollyteria, and DoA when you're broke will inevitably lead to heartbreak, a lot. You'll still want to look, and that's okay.

Painting your dolls will be both one of the most thrilling and frustrating parts of being a BJD collector; if you don't like the paintjob you did, or that the doll came with, you can always repaint them. Sitting with the doll blank can also help you figure out what you want, too.

You will meet wonderful people through this hobby, regardless of what anyone tells you will happen. <3 There's lovely people who will encourage you, give you advice, fawn over sculpts with you, and cry over limited releases with you. Some days there will be doll drama, but try to remember the good parts of your community too. There will be times where that can be harder to remember than others; it will always be worth it to remember it, though.

Finally: No doll is worth months of frustration, tears, anxiety, teeth-gnashing, or anger, no matter how important your character is that you'e trying to shell. This hobby is supposed to be fun, and when it stops feeling fun, it's okay to put your doll away for a bit and come back later. You'll have to learn this the hard way, because I know you, younger self, but once you learn it, you will enjoy the hobby so much more.

13. Resinsoul and Bobobie might be very good, but the other super cheap company that's banned everywhere is... not even worth the price you pay their dolls.
      Also, trust your guts. If you're disappointed when you open a new doll that's just arrived... don't try to convince yourself you can make it work, just get rid of it right away. Save yourself the headache and effort.
      and be suspicious of any company that doesn't show the naked complete doll

14. Don't make impulsive purchases! Haha

15. 0. Always always research before you buy.
      1. Try not to buy from individual artists unless you know for sure that their works are original. One of my friends bought a sculpt from one such individual and the person got involved in plagiarism literally one week after her purchase. Now she is having problem finding makeup artists who are willing to do face paint for that sculpt.
      2. Have the overall aesthetic design in head before buying any accessories. Also aliexpress is a better choice than ebay when it comes to doll stands and wigs. Those products are shipped from China anyway. As for etsy, just flee away from it.
      3. You really don't need that many eyes. Eyes that look great alone may not look that great when put inside the eye socket. Also, the actual color when wearing the eyes is always the darkest shade in the selling page.
      4. Don't trim the wigs without being absolutely sure what you are doing.

1. Be more selective about what you buy
      2. Just because you really like a doll doesn't mean you have to buy it. You can enjoy it from afar

16. This is a very inspirational thread! I agree with a lot of things, most things really here, patience and being selective is good advice! I’ve bought way too many dolls and toys over the years with impulse buying only to have regrets later. I now try to have a list of what I’m really truly wanting and I’m trying hard to stick to that list. Not that I always do stick to it but still! The issue is that some dolls I might more truly want more than others but they’re on the same want list...that’s when things can get tricky...haha. I have yet to get my first bjd tho so I have tried to be patient about getting my first. Patience is not easy! Another thing about this hobby no one really knows when or often what will be released something just all of a sudden comes up and if you don’t jump on it you might miss it altogether and that’s another thing that takes getting used to. This can easily can lead to impulse buying!

17. It is okay to spend the money on a doll. You Will litteraly love your first doll 10+ years in the future and he Will be a great comfort to you, dont wait just because you want to please your mother, just get him... Same with the dolls you get later, dont ever feel pressured into getting a doll, you don't Owe Them a sale just because you asked about it. Spend your time untill you find the treasure in the sea of dolls.

18. If someone is giving their two cents, and it’s not monetary, ignore them.

Obviously a valid concern is an exception, but worrying about random Internet strangers’ opinions isn’t worth it.

19. Do tan dolls fade in the sun?