1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Afraid of black wigs?

Apr 24, 2007

1. Not at all, I have two dolls in black wigs, and I think they look fine in them. My girl looks a little off, because she has blond eyebrows, but it's a limited faceup, I'm planning on redoing it at some point to suit her wig better.

2. I love black wigs. I have a bunch of black-haired OCs and their doll forms wear matching wigs too, of course. Staining has also never been an issue since I use silicone headcaps for the boys. If anything, I usually avoid blonde wigs, unless it absolutely fits the character. But that is really just personal taste.

3. Not at all. I've got three tanned dolls, and they all have black wigs. It looks the most natural to me. And I'm not afraid of staining. They're already dark, so I don't think it would be very noticeable. Even if it stained, with a wig on, you won't see. And for now I have no intentions of selling them.

4. I looovvee black wigs. But I'm only scared that they'd stain the head of my WS doll, so I went with brown instead. Maybe when I get a NS doll I'll buy a black wig. Because I find black hair awesome ^_^

5. I have on black wig that I made. See my Avatar to the <<<

I am a bit worried about staining but so far so good. My newer doll is wearing a very dark brown wig and it looks fine on her because I painted her face up to match.

I think the real problem arises when you try a true pitch black. The color is not natural and it can clash with your dolls skin and face up very easily.

6. I don't have a problem with black wigs, but it depends on the doll. Amalia has a black wig, but Frederick has a white one and I can't see him with anything else. It probably just comes down to personal preference.

7. I'm kind of weary of darker coloured wigs in general.... I've heard stories of doll's heads staining from black or brown wigs 0__0 this terrifies me... I originally wanted to order a dark brown wig for my doll, but ever since I heard this, I've been thinking about ordering a blonde one, or white.... I think it would be ok as long as I switch them periodically...

Also, there's a doll I want to buy that in the picture comes with a silver-y wig, but I want to buy for him a black wig,... and I'm a bit scared because I LOVE how he looks in the silver wig..... but I love the black wig! I think it's just something you have to go for with your gut feeling

8. A large number of my dolls have black wigs, none of them have ever stained. In fact, the only two dolls I own who've ever stained were in a blond/gold wig and a brown one (the brown wig hair didn't stain, it was the wigcap. I left the wig on the head in a drawer with no silicone wigcap underneath. Totally my fault)

9. I am a wigaholic. I do and constantly change doll wigs on my girls mostly. On black wigs, for me, it depends on the face-up and the character. I am learning on here that silicone caps are used underneath wigs for BJD. Thanks for the info; will look into that.

10. Nah. I walk right up to em and spit in their eye.

11. I prefer black wigs on a lot of my dolls. But i think its the face up. If its a lighter face up it looks terrible. with a darker face up it looks great. Somtimes they don't look good in black wigs cause of the outfit. so it could be a mixture of many things.

12. Actually, black is my favorite hair color, either that or dark brown so naturally I love black wigs on dolls. My first American Girl doll had black hair, my second Pullip doll had black hair and my first BJD is planned to have black hair. xD

I do think that in order for the wig to look good on the doll it would need to properly fit with it's make-up though.

13. I like black wigs on the photos of other dolls, but I don't put it on my boy (he arrived with black one, but it immediately was changed to a brown one), maybe because I try to make him look more like myself (subconsciously ^^'). What is more, I agree with those who told that a doll should have a proper face-up for a black wig :)

14. I actually plan on getting a black wig for one of my dolls. It's probably just a personal preference thing.

15. I don't have any problem with black wigs. They're my favourites out of all the wigs I own actually.
      3 of my boys have black wigs and I honestly think they look too good and natural in them to even consider changing to any other colour. I don't use wig caps and have never had a problem with staining. I was actually more concerned with the red wigs I have (both fur and synthetic) staining, but no problem with those either.
      One of my boys is dressed head to toe in black clothing, the head borrowing the body has a black wig and black-based face up. So I really have no problem with black at all ;3 No staining, and no problems.
      Oh, and he's WS too.
      I agree that it really does depend on the face up and overall look of the doll, but I think that is true for any wig colour and one honestly shouldn't shy away from a black wig just because it's black or they're worried about staining. Staining can happen from just about any other colour wig as well. Just go with what looks and feel right.

16. My Miyuki can't wear anything but black wigs, she just doesn't look good in anything else! I've tried all different colors, no luck!

17. Skin Tone, Eye colors and make up would highly influence the black wigs appearance, as well as the style of the hair on your dolls mould. I have a 8" straight black wig with a fringe on my 1:3 it looks nice, perhaps because black is such a distinctive color, it may help to hide the hairline with a wig with a fridge or perhaps use a head scarf to make it less obvious

18. I love short black wigs with bangs on my tinies...make them look really young and childish! Love 'em!

19. I'm not really afraid of black wigs. Two of my three dolls have 'em, and they both have face-ups by me because their original eyebrows didn't match. So yeah, I'm not worried about trying any color wig on my dolls because I can always find a way to match it.