1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Afraid of black wigs?

Apr 24, 2007

1. I think, that black-coloured wigs suit almost every doll, especially when it's long!!

2. I want my doll to have black or dark brown wig if she's going to be the character I have in mind. There are wig caps to protect the head from staining, so I'm not that worried.

3. It's not odd to worry.
      I don't however. I've found that magic eraser removes almost every stain I've come across and if black suits your doll then why deprive him/her? Haha

4. I do all my faceups after I get the wig, so I can match the eyebrows/lashes to the wig colour. The only reason I can think of to be afraid of black/ dark wigs is because of staining. But that's easily prevented with a wig cap, or fixed with a magic eraser. *shrug*

5. My Alina has a black wig and it has stained her, but all the stains are removable with a magic eraser, so it's no problem! Her wigs fit so snugly that she can't even use a wig cap even if I wanted her to.

6. Black wigs like black hair are beautiful to me. I love it thick and shiny. Curly, straight, or mohair. I plan for every single one of my dolls to have this hair color or close. The only exception is candy colored ones for fun like pink or purple. If anything, I avoid blonde wigs since the color hurts my eyes.

7. Honestly I love black wigs; I have a thing for people with black hair-- *slapped*

No I'm actually serious. x'D

I like a wide range of wigs man; if the faceup goes I guess, then it doesn't matter what hair color. ^^

8. When I first read the title I thought, is this Sadako's influence? xD

I bought one black wig for my Pukifee and I don't think it suits her much so I'm planning on selling it. I think it depends a lot on the skin tone. Also, black hair seems more mature to me for some reason, as if it would suit a bigger/older doll but not a very tiny/young one? Perhaps I'm just a bit strange to think that, since you obviously see some children with black hair. :sweat

9. "Afraid of black wigs?"
      .....Wig cap.
      Problem solved.

10. I"d never thought about a lot of these things like whether the skin tone would go with the wig or the eyebrows or anything. I have five dolls with black wigs and haven't ever felt like it looked unnatural with any of them even though I never tried to color-coordinate it with resin colors or face ups.

The arguments against them make sense and it is harder to photograph my one white skin doll who has a black wig, but I'd rather he just not photograph easily than have him in the wrong color for his character.

11. At one point ALL of my dolls had black hair, except for one. :P

My biggest concern would be staining, but oddly enought the only wig that had EVER stained any of my dolls was blond!!

12. Black wigs are nothing to be afraid of, I leave Seraphine's wig on permanently and she hasn't got any stains. You can always put a wig cap on underneath the hair to make extra sure.

13. Wow, I've never thought about that. I've been looking to buy one, but maybe I won't???

14. I love black wigs... right now 2/5 wear black (3/5 if I count one doll who switches between red and black). For my next two dolls, I'm planning for both to wear black wigs. Pretty sure I have a thing for black hair. There's nothing to be afraid of ;)

15. My doll ONLY wears black wigs. She has black hair, she wouldn't be herself without it.
      I specifically asked for a black wig when I ordered her, and that they made her eyebrows a bit darker. And they did. (Although black wigs were out of stock so I got a gray one. Which was cute, but wrong).

After a while she was a little stained, but I got it out with a magic eraser, and then I got her a wig cap.
      No problems after that.

And yes, she is white skinned.
      Because I wanted her to still have some sort of gothic feel without having to dress her in black all the time.
      As others have said, it comes down to the face up. Especially eyebrows. Very light eyebrows look crazy with black hair.

16. I can safely say I've never had much of a fear of black wigs. My Yuu came with one and I switched my Cherry to one as well when I started to change his look. They do stain, but considering the stains are always covered by the wigs and I never plan to sell these dolls, it doesn't really bother me all that much.

I will agree that most dolls don't look good in black wigs because they tend to wash out their already pale coloring. I also agree that most default face-ups with light brows can really throw off the look. I had to erase both of my black-haired boys' company face-ups and do my own to make their wigs look more natural because their brown brows and softly shaded faces just didn't do it for me.

Black wigs can be really stunning, but like with every bold color, you sometimes have to make bold accommodations to compliment it.

17. I love how other people's dolls look with black wigs, but I just haven't had a doll I liked in one.

18. Okay, I have this somewhat rational fear of any wig with fibers darker than, say, light brown. Due to the heavily-applied dark dye, I fear residue will remain on my BJD's head after I remove her wig, and potentiall result in staining. Unfortunately, she wears a dark brown wig most frequently. I bought a Magic Block, so that remedies that problem. However, as far as how good my doll would look in a black wig is concerned, she wouldn't. Her eyebrows are golden and her face-up would provide too stark a contrast to any black wig I've every seen. The golden-pink tones of her face-up would just look too...divergent when paired with a black wig. But hey, you might as well try the black wig on your dolls if you own it. Who knows, maybe they won't look as bad as you fear. (:

19. I don't use black wigs

20. My boy has a black wig, it has left a slight stain on his head but the wig keeps it covered up.