1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

*alert* SEVEN DISPLAY DOLLS MISSING FROM NY DOLPA

Jun 8, 2008

1. THis is shocking and horrible!! Hope they could catch the thief soon.........: (

2. This happened in NY? What if this causes Volks to not want to do american dolpas anymore :(

Hopefully this person gets caught.

3. That is really awful news ><

It's my own speculation but for 7 valuable dolls to be stolen from a busy event with people around, it sounds like the theft was planned and probably more than one person was involved...

I do hope Volks will consider going to the authorities regarding this matter although Mr Shigeta has said that they will not pursue the matter if the dolls are returned. But theft of any kind is a serious crime imho.

4. I'm not sure whether or not it would be appropriate, but have the police been notified about the theft? Or is Volks hoping that someone will give the dolls back without any police action? (Sorry if I missed that somewhere XD;; )

5. Exactly this. I'm so embarrassed for the community as a whole.

6. I hope this doesn't sour the US Dolpa experience for Volks, though I would understand if it put them off from holding a Dolpa again. Six dolls, all unique, at over $500 for the MSDs and over $800 for the SDs? That's a pretty big loss of valuable goods.

Have the police been contacted about this?

7. This is all really terrible to hear.

i'm sure if volks does decide to hold future dolpas here in the states they will have greater security to prevent this from happening again.

8. I hope the Volks sees this was an individual(s) and not the entire community. What a shame. They were so kind to do these Dolpas and this is the reward they got... ;_;

9. I hope this doesn't make Volks change their minds about holding Dolpas in the US... I was really hoping to go to a NY one someday...

But with 3 SD 13's and an SD 16, they would either have had to make multiple trips, or have had help... Those dolls are very heavy, and it would have been too much for them all to be carried away at once... I second checking into the security at the event.

10. I would only hope since it is grand theft.

11. I can imagine it being someone on the cleaning or kitchen staff. This took place in a hotel right? It'd be easy to load the dolls onto at lunch or cleaning cart and roll it away... I mean the more trips you make back and forth and the more people, the bigger the chance of getting caught. Atleast that's how it seems to me it would be.

12. was there any survillance camera at the event especially around the expensive
      displaying dolls? I just can't believe that nobody has caught the thief snatching six dolls
      from the display! Most likely, may be there were more than one thief.

13. Duzell, it was actually at FIT, but it still could have been cleaning staff, I guess. 8o

Also, do we know if the dolls were in their boxes or on display still?

14. I'd bet on someone who works there. Especially if the room was locked. They'd either have to work there or be related to someone who did (which would give access to a key). I also think it was probably a few people. Those dolls are heavy. If a few went and did it in one trip it'd be less obvious than one person making multiple trips and risking being seen carrying so many different dolls back and forth..a few people (friends?) carrying a few dolls at a Dolpa wouldn't look strange.

If they do pop up on ebay people will notice them and then we might know who stole them.
      My bet? private collector arranged the whole thing. The thief (thieves?) probably already had the buyer lined up before they even took the dolls.
      They'll end up in a private collection that won't really be seen by anyone outside of that person and a couple of their close friends...eventually they'll be seen again but it'll be years and by then it'll be impossible to find out who they got them from (hey, they could even say 'i bought them off..... who got them off ebay' )

15. I can't believe such things would happen :(
      What a terrible thief!

I hope this issue would be resolved soon and all the dolls turn up safe.

16. I agree. People who work at centers/hotels like that often have universal keys and little pay, so I imagine if they learned about the value of these dolls, it shouldn't have been too hard for them to double back after work, unlock the room, and walk off with the dolls.

17. it's so disgusting.... so so mad this morning!
      I've never heard of anything like that happening in any other dolpas.
      People are just so.... !!!

18. Ugh!! That's so sickening if it turned out to be true :(

What also shocks me, is that dolls this expensive were just left there alone without any security or a guard.

I just saw the pictures of some of them in the news thread, and it almost made me want to cry. They're gorgeous!!
      I hope they're returned safely or that if they don't do that, they get what they deserve, those criminals.

19. That sounds more than a little far-fetched to be honest.
      Until/if we're actually told what happened (break in/someone with a key/whatever) then it's really all just guessing at the minute which really doesn't help anyone and besides that I'd say it's better left to the police anyway than us making wild assumptions and flights of fancy about who it could've been.
      The best we can do is keep our eyes out for the dolls showing up on auction sites etc and hope either the police catch who ever did this or they come forwards.

20. I hate to have to agree, but this might be the most likely scenario. It's seeming very unlikely that anyone will see these dolls again.