1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

*alert* SEVEN DISPLAY DOLLS MISSING FROM NY DOLPA

Jun 8, 2008

1. I also wondering about security cameras, if anyone could possibly have seen anything happen on one.

This makes me feel so ashamed of the doll community. I hope that Volks doesn't see it has a reflection on all of us who are truly upset. :(

2. Big carriers, like the SOOM one that I have, can easily carry 3 SD13s. It would not be a problem for a single person, after others had left, to load up two carriers and simply walk on out, looking like any other collector with carriers.

Its really horrible, but its not the feat of a ninja, and not, to my untrusting mind, terribly unexpected. We all like to hope that the people we talk to all day are very trustworthy, but as the negative feedback area will show, there are plenty of criminals in the doll world also.

I can recall many times in the cel-collecting hobby that people had entire cel-books stolen off display tables at anime conventions. I hope that a positive thing can come from the theft...in that people will be very careful where they leave their dolls. Best way to stop a thief is to not tempt them in the first place.

3. Unfortunately, it's actually pretty easy to carry around that many dolls, especially if they weren't too careful with how they were handled or if they had cases for them. I've carried a laptop backpack full of stuff, three MSDs, and two SDs before. It's perfectly feasible for one person to have either had a container to put them in, something with wheels to put them on like a food cart, or to have manhandled them out by, say, picking them up by the arms and holding a few in each hand. ><;

Fortunately, as strange as this sounds, it's actually more likely that the thief at least knew a small amount about the hobby, as opposed to it being a random person. If you think about it, any normal person who realizes how much they're worth is going to need to know how and where to sell them, or having a $1000 doll to sell won't do them a bit of good. You can't really go out on the streets and hawk a doll by claiming it's worth a lot of money. To most people, it's just a doll. You have to know that you can sell them on eBay or elsewhere, how much to expect in payment, and what they're called, or you're not getting your money's worth. Unless this was a really *stupid* random person who just wanted $50 or $100 out of the pretty piece of plastic they saw in the display case, there's a decent chance the dolls will turn up somewhere in the hobby. It'll probably be a while and not immediately, but they'll probably turn up sometime. I hope. T_T

4. :o Oh my! This isn't a funny matter but, at least they had good taste! :lol:

5. There's criminals anywhere there's money involved, unfortunately. Not to mention that some people are just not quite right anyway : P I hope this gets resolved and doesn't damage the reputations of US hobbyists.

6. who ever did this might not necessarily have needed to know the value other than lots of people oogling over dolls = worth a lot.

but i agree with others is saying the police MUST be involved - i know volks doesn't want any big fuss over it, but the police will really help in being able to investigate leads. and if not police, then at least a private investigator. some one professional to investigate other than a bunch of rabid doll fans (no offense meant - i'm probably more rabid than a lot of them)

i also hope this doesn't make volks regret doing US events - i've been wanting to go to a new york dolpa since the first one...

7. That seems to be a something a bit too much like something out of a convenience store novel too me...

8. I just hope that law enforcement there takes this very seriously and works diligently to get them back to the rightful owners.

Horrible news.

9. Well I am horrorified but not surprised at last... BJDs are becoming more and more popular than years ago and if something become popular, its value become popular too... and left something so valuable as one off dolls like Volks without any security... well I went with my own dolls to a convention and I never lost sight of them, as they are so valuable... maybe Volks has understimate the risk... as they are one off with artist signets inside I can speculate that a collector could have them now, as no all doll collectors love the communities... I wonder how many collectors ignore the other collectors... (I know 2 of them here, and I am in a small country compared to US... )...
      Anyway this is very bad... I hope to see them returned soon....

10. OMG Why people did that!!!
      It's horrible, horrible!!!

11. I agree with this too. How could they have left these extremely rare and unique dolls with no security measures? Certainly there must be surveillance or SOMETHING! I mean, I wouldn't leave my Bobobie Sprite unattended ANYWHERE, and she is worth just an extremely small fraction of one of these dolls.

12. They have to turn it over to the police. This is very serious business. Unfortunately, as Cenarius said, I'm horrified by this, but not really surprised. This is awful news.

13. Leaving valuable items in a locked event space on a security-patrolled campus is not exactly tempting fate. Sometimes these things happen despite reasonable precautions.

14. One more thing to factor that I'm not sure if was mentioned. If its a person who is part of the hobby that stole the doll they might try to wait a bit before listing it. Or privately sell it through other communities, such as livejournal.

They might also try to sell it it parts to avoid some suspicion. It'd make less money but its something they didn't lose money to attain in the first place so they'd likely not care as long as they made some funds off it.

Damn shameful. I've been part of my non-doll conventions and seeing more theft than I ever wished to but this one just takes the cake.

15. My question is: Was this spontaneous? Or PLANNED months ahead of time?

*snaps fingers* New York City has camras on like, every street. If you saw someone carrying a large SD16 sized object, you could tell.

16. I am heartsick over this. Hopefully it was just the cleaning crew and they moved them elsewhere to clean and forgot to return them but in this day and age, who knows? I certainly hope this doesn't sour Volks on having Dolpas here now. I'm saving for next years!

17. yeah it does, but it was also a lot of dolls, and they were pretty specific about the ones they took. the thief managed to get in, get the dolls, and get out without being seen, at a busy location (even if it was night, people would still be out and about).

Just my thoughts *shrug*
      I'm not saying people with high tech james bond equipment dressed like ninja's entered through a skylight....but it sounds like it was at least planned out earlier in the day.

18. Were these the only dolls left out? Since it happened overnight, the one-offs would have been already bought and received by their owners. So these were the dolls still there for the FCS, the limited Irwin and possibly the limited outfit display dolls?

I'm curious because if there were other dolls still there, then I would say that it was more likely a collector who did this since they picked out which ones.

But if these were the only dolls left out, then more likely this was a theft of opportunity, someone who planned on selling them for quick cash. These dolls could end up in a local doll store, a pawn shop or other places in the NY area where people can sell things easily. I really do hope this has been reported to the police since they have greater resources and knowledge about this.

19. :< Im kinda hoping that too..But in this world and this day in age and the recession and everything else going down the john... It's highly unlikely.

20. Same concern, should I repost the pictures to aboard doll community? In the case these dolls are sold aboard, the doll holder there will know these are stolen dolls.