1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

*alert* SEVEN DISPLAY DOLLS MISSING FROM NY DOLPA

Jun 8, 2008

1. Holy crap, how were they even stolen? Weren't there security systems there? I hope the person brings them back or gets caught

2. Sad as it is, fine art theft happens all the time. I think it's likely too that they were stolen to order for a private collector and are unlikely to be seen again. :(

But I sincerely hope they are returned to their rightful owner.

3. I am really angry about this. First, stealing, duh, wrong. But second of all, they were works of art! OOAK. that's like stealing a painting out of a museum. now nobody can enjoy them becasue someone was selfish.

also, were they in a display case or anything? Cuz they really should be. Anything that valuable should be WATCHED like a hawk. Not necissarily a security guard, but Volks should have at least stuck some employee of theres nearby.

But the actual act of stealing...it had to be somewhat of an inside job. To take that many dolls, it means multiple trips or being able to put them on a cart or something. It's not like 1 went missing then a couple hours later another. From what I understand it was they were there and then *poof* gone. They should look into newer employees of the venue and any other company that was there that knew about the event in advance. Someone might have taken a grunt job just to get access.

4. Keepi in mind Volks is a Japanese counrty, mabye they aren't as "Big Brother" as the US. Plus it being a internation company makes it harder To get the NYPD to help.

5. I don't think that it being an international company is any problem, the theft still happened in the US, authorities there should take charge.

6. I missed Dolpa this year due to work, but during the past 2 events, the Volks company has gone out of their way to plan a wonderful event for everyone. Their generosity is imcomparable, and it saddens me to see that anyone would steal from them. It makes us all look bad. :(

7. I know this post has already been quoted, like 10 times, but that is EXACTLY what went through my mind when I read about the theft. I would love to go to a Dolpa someday, but how can they continue hold these events here in the US when things like this happen!

I'm truly sick about this. What a terrible thing. :( I feel bad for everyone at Dolpa today. I'm sure the mood is somber.

8. I'm having the same thought, it is quite possible. I hate to say it, but if these were publicized ahead of time on the Volks site or in FDQ, it would allow plenty of time for this. My other concern in regard to an orchestrated theft is that it could have been arranged by a shady company that would plan to make knockoffs in some way, especially if the dolls stolen were new molds or molds that could not be attained in other ways. (You can't normally order the SD16s anywhere, right?) It's also possible someone stole these thinking they'd be great for their kid without knowing any better -- they just saw pretty dolls on a table and grabbed them. It doesn't seem to me that design students would do something like this as a prank; if it was a traditional general college I might consider that a possibility as well. People will also steal anything they think they can pawn -- for this reason, I do hope the police are contacted to be on watch for these dolls showing up in a pawn shop. There are just so many options, and none of them are good.

This is so incredibly sad. My heart really goes out to Volks about this situation, and it sounds like they are truly trying to be very kind about the matter. That they even come to do these events in the US is a great kindness on their part, and to have this happen at one of them is incredibly tragic.

9. Yeah, I agree with this sentiment. First thing I thought of was that it had to be an inside job, since we have a pretty tight-knit community in our hobby. Surely if it was one of us it would have been apparent.

I was wondering if they had security cameras in the area... Its disgusting how this could sully such a treasured event. I said this before on the NY Dolpa discussion thread, but I do hope that this doesn't taint Volks' relationship with the US.

In a semi-related note, a friend of mine attending the NY Dolpa this weekend had her wallet stolen. While I was on the phone with her I overheard security guards suspecting her of stealing a One-off that she had won yesterday. Seriously, why is New York so unpleasant? I wish we could petition to have a Dolpa in a less busy city with a lower crime rate. Like New Orleans, Atlanta, Nashville or D.C. :|

10. that really does make me sick. The fact that people can't wait and buy their own. Yes, the dolls are absolutely gorgeous. At least the few pics that are posted of them in the news thread. No doll owning person is going to sit back and let this happen. I hope they're found soon. And I hope the person who took them is smart enough to just give up. But considering they took them in the first place, that's highly doubtful.

11. I hope that people staying at the Gershwin keep an eye out.

12. Well what does taht say about security?
      Honestly, you'd think dolls this rare and valuable would be better taken care of. -_-

13. To be fair, though, this could happen in any city. While crime rates are something to consider, all it takes is one or two bozos to ruin things for everyone else (and there are idiots in any human population). Stuff like this can happen anywhere, and the only thing you can do is be uber careful and take precautions.

14. This is realy depressing. I'd be totally upset if this were my dolls. I can't imagine how the owner(s) must feel right now. I do know I'll be watching ebay every so often. It's just sick to think that someone would steal these beautiful dolls. Man this really upsets me to no end.

15. The dolls in question were on a table next to the second exit (so they were right by a door). There were 4 SD16s, 2 Irvins, 2 SD13s, and 3 MSDs in the display total. I'm surprised they didn't take all 11 of the display dolls honestly. 1 Irvin and 3 of the SD16s were left alone. They were very close to the exit. I'm very heartbroken over this as I totally fell in love with the one MSD in the yellow dress. She was the most darling doll and looked like a grown up Mamu or Hinaichigo. It was such a pretty display in the corner of the room, unfortunately because it was all the way over in the corner away from everyone some people hadn't even realized there was a full display over there, which honestly made the display more open to thievery. I left fairly early after the dinner party, so I didn't notice anything highly unusual. I really hope the dolls are found and that Volks isn't turned off by this disaster. :(

And Atlanta does not have a lower crime rate than NYC. It was ranked 2nd in highest crime a few years ago.

16. This theft is horrible. :/ I don't think it means the Japanese will automatically think badly of the US, though. Just because the event was in the US doesn't mean it was stolen by a US citizen. I think they will probably be more concerned with their own lack of security than anything. I am sure they have questioned their employees by now, and if they haven't gotten a result from that it means that either someone is lying or they didn't have someone watching the display. Both possible outcomes are horrible. :/ I hope the thief/thieves try to put the dolls on ebay and get caught.

17. someone stole the dolls from an exhibition or from the store itself?
      dammit, why people steal dolls??

18. Yes, someone obvisouly wanted those specific dolls.

19. I refuse to believe that anyone in this hobby would do something so terrible. I went last year and Mr.Shigeta was so generous and kind. I can only imagine he is at a loss for words right now. I wonder how Volks is handling this situation?

20. I'll keep an eye out over here in England!!! and I'll get some more people around this is just wrong!