1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Allergic reaction to resin?

May 30, 2005

1. I get rather itchy from doing my doll's faceups or mods sometimes. I don't think it's really from touching the resin, because I handle my babies often, but more from sanding them. The resin dust really gets to me sometimes. D:

2. I just got my doll and maybe about 9 hours after getting her I felt terribly sick to my stomach. Personally I don't think it's her but my mom is insitent that it is. Well anyway I think I'm going to try some of the ideas I read on here and see if they work. I'll let her air out and wash down her wig. I was going to anyway. Then if it still happens i'll giver her a bath. And if i'm still getting sick i'll see the doctor. But i've never gotten sick at meets and i've been in a practically closed in room covered in dolls so, i dunno. Maybe i do have a stomach flu or something.

3. If you're allergic to your doll, I think you should have started feeling sick within an hour or so after opening the box and handling your doll. It's probably just a stomach flu. Perhaps your mom isn't too keen on you getting yourself such an expensive doll. You could have gotten a stomach flu bug from someone who had handled your package or even a person at the company who packed your doll. Some stomach flu virusses are highly contagious and very potent.

4. I completley agree. But I also handeled her a lot more probably those 9 hours later like I said. Actually my mom doesn't even know about "selling the doll" and she doesn't even know it's "true cost" :lol:. Well anyway she's "airing out" just in case ;).

5. well, theres strange reactions, depends on each person, but i didnt think it can be the resin, maybe the MSC, or another coated thing.

6. I have never had any reaction to my little doll, but a friend told me that you can sometimes develop an allergy to certain things if you are exposed to them a lot, like Latex or even resin. If I ever do develop a allergy to my BJD would you recommend selling him, or just handle him with gloves? What would you do if you developed a reaction to your beloved BJD? I have grown quite attached to my little guy and I would hate to be parted from him. :(

Also, I used MSC on him when I was doing his faceup. I used a mask and gloves when I was spraying him. Is there any hidden dangers or problems from using or handling dolls coated with MSC?

7. I consider myself really, really lucky that I don't get a reaction to the resin. I am an extremely allergic person. I've got seasonal allergies, animal allergies, medicine allergies, and food allergies. You name it, I'm probably allergic to it. So when I found out that some people get reactions to resin, I was really surprised that I wasn't one of those people!

8. Ok I need to ask this question.... Has anyone had any reaction to resin dolls? I recently got two new dolls both are soom dolls and after I was in contact with them Saturday I broke out in a rash all over! I still have the rash but not touched the dolls at all. I been to my Doc and a skin Doc and they can only come up with allergic reaction to somthing and there nothing new but the dolls. I was told I should seal the dolls up and not be in contact for a while and destory all the boxes they came in. The skin Doc said some things used overseas can affect people. I have other dolls and never had an issue but never had a doll that came from the factory before.... anyone heard or had any issues? thanks

9. I know of several people who have problems with resin, but they were casting dolls with it or were in contact with resin dust from sanding them.

10. Maybe the boxes had a lot of resin dust? Or even the dolls themselves?

Could you have a friend or relative wipe them off with a damp cloth to be sure they are dust free? It might help.

11. It can happen, though I don't know of anyone personally. You may want to wipe the dolls down in case there is any resin dust or anything clinging to them, and set them aside somewhere separate from yourself so they can air out for a few days. New dolls can have a very strong odor -- especially when they've been boxed up, that alone could cause a sensitive person some issues.

12. Actually, people CAN have, next to the toxic properties of resin, a contact allergy for resin.

This is a CONTACT allergy, which means you have to touch the resin to be troubled by it. So im afraid youre doomed to gloves. Do not underestimate a contact allergy, it wont leave fast. Destroying there boxes sounds a bit nonsensical to me, youre not going to touch the inside on a daily basis, and as long as you dont do that it wont bother you, especially since the doll probably never touched the box, but a pillow or bubblewrap inside the box.

Rubbing of dust wont help, The dust is not the issue, its the hardener. With the toxicity its the dust, with the contact allergy its the actual physical contact with the resin.

This said, there round and about a million other things people can be allergic to. This is for instance, pollen season. And you dont have to KNOW things have changed in youre environment. I have had a patient who developed a dreadfull allergic dermatitis on the hands, and we couldnt figure that out, she eliminated almost every thing in her environment but no help. until she coincidentally found out her university changed the soap they used in the soap dispensers.

I would also, strongly, advise you against modding, since you would probably experience problems from inhaled particals much faster. Actual physical particals in youre lungs might do the same as the resin does on your hands, added to the toxic risk the dust give to us all.

13. Actually...having gotten a couple of dolls directly from Soom, I know that their dolls sometimes come with resin dust still on them and or inside the joints, limbs etc. It's really not very responsible of them IMO, but I've heard others complain about it and have experienced it first hand.
      And it's the only company I've ever bought from that had that problem.
      You might want to check if your dolls had any loose dust in/on them...since you've never had a problem with your other dolls and/or handling resin BJD's before, maybe it's the resin dust that's bothering you?

14. Omg that is so sad.:( I really hope that you can play with your dolls soon. Good luck sweetie!

15. well I going to have a friend take two dolls and used can air to blow out all of the body parts! I will then get them to gentle wipe them down and see if they can then be around me! Its still unknown if this is what caused this my rash but its the only thing different in my life! so only time will tell!

16. Well I know people who have areaction have senceitive skin.

(Sorry for the spelling on that.)

17. As a scientist I would have to say, it is highly unlikely that you have a skin sensitivity to the resin, due to the fact you already have resin dolls. You said that the rash is all over, it is therefore not a contact allergy.
      This would suggest a true allergy in the sense that you have come into contact with something that has caused a systemic effect.
      If you still have it now after a week however, you are either still coming into contact with the allergen or it is not an allergy at all. I suggest going back to your Doctor and speaking to them. If you are not touching the dolls and have a rash it is not them.

18. I agree about giving them a good wipedown... if they're not blushed, it wouldn't hurt to wash off the body parts with dish-soapy-water, too. It might be a resin contact allergy, but if you've had other resin dolls with no reaction it's unlikely. It seems to me that there's more of a chance you're touching something left on the resin. It could be mold release from the casting process, maybe some sort of cleaning product used by Soom, or even residue from the packaging.

Then again, it could be heat rash or an allergy to something else entirely. I have pretty nasty plant-related allergies, and I once got a rash from leaning against a car that had been parked under a pollinating tree! :sweat

19. AS a medical doctor, i say, contact allergies typically clear up in two to three weeks.

20. Well no doll contact for the next few weeks and then I go back to the skin doc... if its not cleared I have to start having testing done! This is so sad I love my dolls and I really a pain I have to have them all locked away!