1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Angel of Dream (AOD) 1/4 size discussion thread Part 2

May 15, 2007

1. I love the scars! I know you, if you're not happy you'll figure it out, LOL. Goodness all your guys are amazing!

2. i love the scars too, OkamiKodomo. what did you do to get the scarring effect done so nicely?

i think the lashes are actually nice too despite what you said, but the brows are a little too close together. since you implied you weren't happy with them i hope it's okay for me to say this. then again, maybe that's a stylistic choice for you - he looks fantastic overall.

3. Too close together, and too thin near the bridge of the nose. They don't taper enough for my liking. x.x Here's a picture without the wig. Ignore the balloon wig-cap.
      [​IMG]

If anyone would like to see the 'before' picture, of what he looked like when he got to me, click here. It's not my picture though, it was the one the previous owner sent to me. I believe she said she purchased it that way, from the original owner, and never got around to doing anything with it.

As for his scars, I used Liquitex Basics white paint right out of the tube, and layered it up. Then once the scars were sealed, I blushed over them with a light, dusty red-brown, and erased all but a thin outline around the scar, then blended that with a clean brush to soften the eraser outline, erased again, blended again, sealed, repeat x2 with the same color, then did another 2 layers the same way with a pastel that more or less matched the skin tone to soften the color of the paint. After that was done, then I did the rest of the face-up as normal. I had a link to a tutorial that I got the idea from, here on DoA, but I can't find it. The person who made the tutorial originally did it for burn scars, but then showed an example of how they made slash scars the same way, so I figured I'd try it.

4. thanks for the info on the scarring, it's a mod that really interests me.

i got 'page not found' on the before pic but really - he looks stunning even with just the wig cap. i like the way you do lashes. the only thing i would change about it are the brows and luckily those are some of the easier parts of a face-up to fix (imho). can't wait to see what you do with them once they are to your own liking.

5. I fixed it... accidentally pasted the picture link twice in the same code. But d'aw thanks.... you're makin' me blush. When I have time, I may try to fix the brows.

Myrr, I wish we lived closer together! D:

6. BIG improvement on him from what he was Okami! I know I posted it on DA but I wish we did too! I only get to share about 1/4 or what I do on here and I'm atrophying with some of them because I just need another set of eyes. I had sent you a link to a thread on flickr, one of my mods in progress. I just want someone to see because I am so proud of his mouth and expression and nose and!!!!!! I mean he's looking how he should look and he's just!!!!! yeah. It's the one that Tiamet can't allow to die. The one that she finds and she just can't watch him fall into darkness. I wish his damned hair would get here I want to take pics of them so bad and!!!! it's driving me nuts can you tell.

I have spam of her at least, with Chloe and Kaname. I made the clothes the girls are wearing. I love that cloak SO much!

[​IMG]

7. I'll have to check my flickr. Haven't been on there in a while.

[​IMG]

8. He's so cute! Realize I am the queen of little broken things so I am allowed to call beaten up "cute"

9. d'aw thanks~! I like broken things too, so I completely understand. Hiroaki may eventually be reshelled into a sculpt that suits him more, (I keep getting drawn to DZ's Mo) but for now, this is his physical embodiment.

10. This is probably a long shot, but does anyone know about matching between the AOD bodies and Only-Doll (any color resin is fine)

11. i don't, Dessa, but i would like to know also...

Bing Shen arrived today, completely unanticipated.

- i never received the confirmation of shipment or tracking number than an Angel of Dream rep promised me

- they had promised they would ship her on the 15-21st August. it's the 14th September. while it is possible that shipping took that long, they never responded to the one (single) email i sent them asking what had happened after the 21st passed with no contact or confirmation.

- my orders for all the AoD dolls i now own are still marked as... you guessed it... "pending shipping" on their site.

- her company faceup looks completely different to the one shown on the company mainpage. i had seen some 'owner' pictures of her with what i think is default faceup and she doesn't look like them, either. it could work for someone else but it's not working for me...

- to be nonbiased, i will say in their favor that they delivered (in other words, they didn't just steal my money) and i got what i asked for (Bing Shen, in tan, possibly the last tan doll they will make if the rep is to be believed?)... but she and i are not getting along well yet.

her body is beautifully sculpted, she's just like a very petite version of my AoD Yuki in that respect and it's actually very posable and less kicky than my Yuki. i don't know if it's the whole experience that has put me off or what, but right now i'm not feeling like i can bond with her at all and this really sucks (she was one of the dolls i wanted to get for the longest time, so i wanted to at least be able to say "i love her!" at the end of all these shenanigans)....

i am not really sure what to do right now. will share some pictures later.

12. Why not see about getting a different face-up? There are so many talented artists on DoA.

13. problem is, i'm not confident if it's the face-up or sculpt that is throwing me off. i have re-faced up dolls i would otherwise have rejected myself and come to love them- i'm not a pro but my work is good enough that i can feel attached to the doll. i tried doing a little 'touch up' work on her with my watercolor pencils and i felt- already she looks better, but i still don't feel confident about owning her yet.

i feel that right now i can't afford to spend money on getting a pro face-up on her unless i could get "my money back" by reselling her if it didn't work out in the end, and AoD dolls (esp Bing Shen) are not very popular at all, so that is unlikely even if she gets a really nice one.

edit to say: also i have no issue whatsover with her body, in fact i love it, so maybe i should just consider going searching for resin matches to AoD's tan (if anyone has a link, it'll save me searching through a bunch of threads!)...at least then i could possibly sell her head, and plan out a hybrid, though her head may be hard to sell on it's own is my worry.

14. hmmm might have to consider getting me a tan doll soon then...that always sucks when companies discontinue a resin color.

I haven't been in here in a very long time, probably the last thread..lol..but a friend of mine came over a week ago and did a faceup for my Chi...his name is Agirolf, he is pictured with his daughter Ylva, I was doing her faceup while my friend was doing his.
      [​IMG]

15. Aaaah, so many gorgeous dolls ^^!!!

Here is Calime, my youkai with elf ears...:) she's an alichino, but she's not really evil xD. Her hair is really long (44 cm, like her xD)

[​IMG]

16. Hello everyone~
      I couldn't resist coming in here... I'm really giddy. The very first doll I ever wanted was an AoD Rao--until I learned about the changes made to her sculpt. Obviously I never got her, though I've still looked at her from time to time. Recently, though, I've renewed the hunt for a 2008 Rao, and last night I found her! XD

Unfortunately, she's only a head, so I have to try and figure out her resin color and hunt down a matching body. >.< But I'm still so excited to at last have my first dolly love. XD

Dessa, I do own a normal pink Only-Doll girl. I don't know if comparing a 2012 O-D with a 2008 AoD will be a ton of help, but when my head gets home I can see.

17. Tiamet is not an old Rao... but she is herself. I love her :)

[​IMG]

18. I think I've looked at pictures of Tiamet before. She's very pretty~

I'm on the hunt for a normal yellow body from around 2008 now and already impatient. XD Mostly because someone listed a doll who'd completely fit the bill... except for being male. lol

19. awe, I sorry! Yeah I got Tiamet because she looks like she could be related to my D. They are supposed to be brother and sister and it really is kinda uncanny the way they are together. Even their skin color variation just makes it perfect. she's so quiet compared to him though, LOL.

20. Aww, it's great when things work out that way! I enjoy sibling dolls. And please, spam more Tiamet? I like seeing her. ^.^

My Rao head's home, and she's sooo cute~ I think she still had her default face-up, but it was dirty and scuffed, so I scrubbed it clean and I'm sending her off for a new one.

It's funny you say that about Tiamet being quiet. I look at this sculpt and get the feeling she's going to be a rather serene or reserved character. ^.^