1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Angel of Dream Jurgis - Ad comparison to Soom Io layout

Oct 17, 2008

1. Maybe AoD actually asked SOOM for permission for their ad style? I like AoD, they have really nice dollies. I'm not into boy dolls whatsoever but I'm glad they're putting more effort into their dollies now. ^_^

edit: where are the pictures of Nicole? I didn't see a link anywhere.

2. It really bothers me that he has a really defined, muscly chest but his arms and legs are skinny little twigs with no muscle definition! I would picture a wolfman to be a little more bulky. :/

3. Wow, never seen a wolf head before.

I agree with others that the "snarling" head is a little creepy. It may be because his eyes are "normal" while his mouth is all "GRRR". He needs to have some "angry" furrows added to the eyebrows - like Unidoll Ark. I was hoping with the new sculptor they would rethink the perfect oval shape of the eyes; this is something I've never quite liked about the AoD dolls.

Is Jurgis on a new body? It looks different from the standard boy body. I also wonder what the wolf head looks like without all the hair.

Also, Nicole = Angelina Jolie! Totally! I want her outfit :aheartbea

4. I actually find the wolf head idea very neat. I wish it wasn't so angry though... I'd have rather had a calm wolf face and an angry one as opposed to an angry transformation face and an angry wolf face lol. I also agree with the body thing... lol he's not very intimidating with his lil legs and arms lol. It's awesome that they did such cool extras such as the paws and head though.

I find Nicole to be quite cool. I agree with the Angelina Jolie thing. I really like her sculpt. Only thing I don't really like is the wig choice, but that's just me. I'm happy to see AOD showing off their dolls in a nicer way. When they first started out I thought they looked kinda weird but they're getting a lot better at showcasing their dolls even if they did copy io's ad concept for Jurgis I'm just speaking in general about all their dolls...

I find it a little rude to have comparison shots in the discussion thread for the dolls though... They did copy the format and doll image quite obviously but I dunno, seems kind of tactless to go saying this in the main discussion thread about the dolls...? In AOD's defense, a 'tribal' theme for dolls isn't necessarily copyrighted to SOOM, they were just the first ones to think of it. If you think about it, a lot of limiteds and full set dolls have similar themes as each other such as priests, princesses, ancient warriors, demons, angels, ice people, fairies, etc. Soom was just the first to do tribal and it just happened to be extremely successful. AOD did, however, use an extremely similar way to promote their doll... sooo... I dunno, maybe my reasoning is flawed after all lol.

5. Pygmalion, I like the in-between head, too! I think it's a novel idea to have a transition head to the actual werewolf head or mask. Scary works for me!

I totally agree with Cadmium on this. There are alot of companies making alot of dolls, and there are going to be similiarities, but to insinuate that AOD is ripping off Soom is uncalled for. Everytime someone produces a vampire doll, do we accuse them of ripping off Luts? The new AOD doll is not a Lion, he is a werewolf. I don't see how that is a copy of Soom; the free-market allows for variations on a theme and ideas. Im very unhappy with how this discussion on AOD's new dolls has gotten started with accusations of copying.

6. I Second this! I think the comparison shots of the two ads be taken down. It's for the discussion of the dolls and their size, not the probability of them possibly being copys.

7. I'm tempted to try splitting with someone who is buying this fullset just to get the snarling head. I could make a totally hilarious doll out of that. Then again, that is a lot of money just for humor. And it also probably isn't nice to poke fun at a company's doll. XD

8. I also can't really get over how close the format is to Soom... and I think it is relevant to the discussion. If I copied someones flyer layout but used my own image, I'd still be copying (graphic design is copyrighted too you know.) Clearly, the idea for the project came from Soom. For me it comes down to; I'm cool with inspired by, I'm not cool with directly borrowed from.

Wolf Man terrifies me... and I don't understand why he's wearing leopard print. I also though his face was like a badly sculpted Bix... :ablah:

I kind of like Nicole... but the first thing she reminded me of was actually Mila Jovovich. I really want someone to get her with a neon orange wig!

9. This thread IS relevant insomuch as the subject matter appears to be the ad and styling of the doll.

If members would like to discuss the doll(s) outside of this marketing ploy, please feel free to begin another discussion thread and leave this one to the dialoguing of intellectual property.

10. This. I would be super ticked if someone copied my graphic design work for commercial purposes. Those image layouts are a blatant Soom rip off.

I'm not against having a not so angry wolf head though. A Wolf O'Donnell doll from Starfox would be awesome. I'd put it on a less wimpy body though. A supergem or iplehouse body perhaps?
      I actually really like the grrr! teeth on the transformation head. The eyes just see a bit off to me. Too wide and too close together imo.

11. I feel like the doll itself feels ackward, especially after seeing this ad being so similiar to Soom's. However, I respect the company trying to come out with something exciting with a limited and a 90cm doll line. I'm intrigued on the 90 cm dolls...as they're...literally half my height or maybe more!
      Although I'm in the same boat as you with being overprotective of Soom. AoD could have come up with a more original way of advertising the doll. Now after seeing Jurgis' pics and...well transformation face...I'm not very sure if I'll ever buy something from Aod too...a 90cm doll...seems intimidating for my size! I love Soom's dolls too and I find it lucky enough with the wait as opposed to the year-long wait for the last release of the Bermanns to start shipping out. I'll stop there in fear that i'll go off topic heh heh :sweat.

As for the paw ideas and such for Soom and for Aod or any company at that...I would like to have seen a more beastly concept on the feet and legs. Similiar to how the Beast's legs are in Disney's Beauty & the Beast. Now THAT would have definitely caught my attention. Maybe with more time etc. Aod would have executed Jurgis' concept a whole lot better. I'll keep on observing...

True! Perhaps this might give Soom reciprocal ideas! I definitely will want to continue to see how both companies will respond and grow on this. Its just nice to see new dolls and concepts from any company. Right now AoD just hasn't made my piggy bank go wild yet.

12. Comparing it to calling vampire doll a copy is a far stretch. The only thing in common would be teeth. There is waayyyy more evidience to suggest that they were eyeing Io when they put together Jurgis.

1. The basic format of the ad. It's amost exactly the same layout.
      2. The outfit style (animal skin). Yeah, not original, but when it's combined with the other things, it becomes relevent.
      3. The shoes. Strappy sandals.
      4. The bone necklace.
      5. The spear/knife from the photos.
      6. The arm bands.
      7. Having an optional animal part whether it is a mask or different head, plus 2 human heads
      8. The photography poses. They both have a very similar crawling pose, and one of them looking off a cliff. Same style of photography even.

These things in themeselves are not "copied" but added up, it's far too much to be coincidence.

The idea of a lion/wolf is fine. Whatever. It's like when Fairyland made the puki mermaids in pink and blue and then pipos did the same. There was no evidence to suggest one copied the other because all it was a tail and a color and the tails weren't remotely similar.

What if company X put out a vampire doll? Fine. They sold it as a limited with a unique outfit and accessories. Well, company Z puts out a vampire doll a month later. Fine. Vampire dolls aren't new. Hardly anyone would say company Z copied company X. But then company Z announces their's is a limited and the outfit is scary similar to the outfit company X made. Would you say company Z copied company X? Yes.

It's the fact that copied almost everything EXCEPT the doll. The copied the outfit, the layout, etc. If they had just released the doll w/o the outfit or ad in that format, I wouldn't have thought they were trying to emulate Io. It's everything else they did.

It would be wrong for me to insinuate copying if I had no evidence, but the evidence is there, loud and clear. Even though he's not a lion, that's not enough to counteract everything else. The wolf even has a mane like a lion. Yeah wolves have fur, but they do not have manes.

I posted comparisons to back up my claim. If i didn't I would have an empty argument. This IS relevent because it pertains to the doll. I'm not bashing the doll. I'm just bringing light to the situation. I'm sorry if you like the doll and you are offended by this, but the truth is someone will say something negative about any doll sooner or later and to get so offended by it is a little unreasonable.

If you disagree with me, that's fine. You are entitled to your opinion. I won't fight you on that. So don't try to fight me on mine.

13. It would have been nice if AoD had deviated more from Soom with their add--it's not something that would make me not buy the doll, but it would've been nice to see and would be better received. However, it's what they did with the doll that really interests me more than the advertising--the advertising might grab a potential customers attention, but it's the doll itself they're going to buy.

I like the wolf head and paws--it's different, and I appreciate that. They were obviously inspired by Soom, but they took the basic idea and took it in their own direction. That happens a lot. Think of all the companies who now have anthros, all the companies whose dolls tend to get taller and taller. They seem to play off each other, which isn't all bad since I think it pushes them to keep on innovating and building on what existed before.

I wonder how the wolf head would look with different paint jobs--that would be really neat to see. His leopard print is kind of goofy--he's an eighties music video wolfman!

14. AoD have obviously gotten better at presentation skills ;) I think its great for them and maybe in time it wont look so much like how Soom present their dolls.
      I also think its great because I like AoD, I have a doll of theirs coming anyway, they are a cheap company who have good quality dolls and its about time they challenged themselves. These full sets are nice. I would get an extra wolf head in the future for my doll, defo :)
      I think it will interesting to see what people do with them, at the moment the inbetween head looks alittle strange but it might be done well by other people with a face up etc.
      Well done I say to AoD!

15. Soom is the one who had all these creative ideas with their MD. And the MD have been a great success. Unfortunately, in this business success usually means that people will copy your idea. Not much that can be done about it. I imagine more companies will jump on the bandwagon. But Soom can continue putting out awesome, innovative dolls that everyone loves. That won't change at least (hopefully). I like their sculpts better anyway, so they certainly have my support.

The ad thing though, that's a bit much. Hopefully AoD can come up with their own ideas for their own dolls at least.

16. I would buy the head and hands/paws off of anyone who wanted to split a fullset -- I've been wanting a werewolf doll for ages (and have a werefox head mostly sculpted, although I think at this point I've abandoned the project and need to start over with more cooperative materials.)

However, the ad design is BLATANTLY copied. While I think that Jurgis is an original *doll* (I love the paws and the fact that he has a full wolf-head rather than just a hat), I think that it was a poor decision on AoD's part to choose to copy SOOM's presentation so closely.

They have an original and interesting product, why not let it stand on its own with an original ad campaign?

-- A <3

17. When I looked at AoD's Wolfman before I even saw this thread, my first thought was how their style of presentation was like Io's. Though to be fair, I'm in a split for Io and spent a LOT of time looking at Soom's pics of him. ;)

Interesting how AoD seems to have Soom's style in everything BUT the doll sculpt itself and the doll's base concept (werewolf =/= lion). So its a bit tacky IMHO but no major harm done as it's not like we can't tell. :sweat I don't think they will be "stealing" any of Soom's customers by using this ad style, either.

18. Do we have any idea how tall the dolls are? I can't seem to find the info anywhere.

19. I think it would have been cool if they didn't get hung up on the jungle native concept of Soom's and made the presentation more wolfman horror flick. Maybe in a 19th c. inspired outfit, or a modern suit. That would have made it a more original presentation. Something like this...

[​IMG]

(but not so cheezy!)

I actually thought after seeing the first picture on the site with the black and white photo with tinting that it would be what they would do.

I like Nicole. She has attitude. Actually she reminds me of old spy movies and tv shows from the '60's. Just needs some blue eye shadow!

BTW, when my kid saw it, she said "a wolf wouldn't wear cat fur!"

20. or used that classic song... Werewolves of London by Warren Zevon....
      put him in a top hat and london period clothes....

could have been awesome....