1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Angell-Studio's Gabriel & Lucifer Discussion

Oct 17, 2007

1. Agreed with all, that screamed Angel Sanctuary XDD.

I would be a little "ehh..." if they're selling the outfits, but it seems only to be for promotion of the dolls, so that shouldn't be a problem right? And they're so very pretty like that...

2. i chat with Angell-Studio tru MSN[they are online now! just my luck!:)] just to know if they will be selling their Lucifer & Gabriel as a complete set and this is what they said:

Allemarthe says:
      hello... i posted your new dolls in the DoA forum and there are many who are interested in it... but some are asking if you are gonna sell a complete set of Lucifer & Gabriel(including clothes)? or are they just basic dolls?...
      ++++Angell-Studio+++ says:
      the clothes of Lucifer and Gabriel will be available soon
      ++++Angell-Studio+++ says:
      you can order the clothes of them soon~
      Allemarthe says:
      thank you very much for the information...

so thats it... i think we'll just have to wait on the clothes^^

3. Oh wow, Angel Sanctuary dolls. o_o *blinkblink* This is kinda surprising. Especially that they are in fact selling the outfits eventually.

4. Lucifer made my heart go pitter-pat for a moment. :sweat
      It must have been the gothy-looking makeup.

He's not a limited is he? Becuase I'd like to save up my pennies to bring that boy home. :D

5. Ooo great! I love their outfits!

I wonder if Gabriel's dress will fit on a boy's body though... >_>

6. It's not "impossible" at all. I don't know if copyright infringement is a "crime" in Japan (as opposed to a civil matter), but dolls and clothes based on someone else's work are "derivative works," and only the copyright holder has the right to authorize derivative works. MAYBE Kaori Yuki authorized them (I don't know or claim to know). But, if she did not authorize them, they are unauthorized derivative works and their sale could be enjoined and damages awarded.

(again, I don't explicitly study Japanese law, BUT a quick internet search tells me that it includes the right of "adaptation," including derivative works).

7. I really love how they look, but I do worry very much about that Kaori Yuki design issue..

Lucifer is quite beautiful and it rather works because he was my favorite in the manga, but what will be done about this?

8. Can anyone help me? I'm seriously lost on the conversion rate. On my computer, Lucifer is coming up as $2200, which I know can't be right.

9. Go to the doll and then change the currency in the top right corner =) I know it confused me aswell D: Otherwise in dollars he comes up as $299

10. Oooh, that is a lovely price! Thank you for the help!

11. So ... should we get some sort of group order going?

12. 0_0

I. Am in love. Gabriel is just... Woooow. I'm going to have to come back to her in a few weeks, but right now, she's screaming to come home with me. Woooow.

13. OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I can't believe I found a doll that's equal to my most favorite ever. I really really really hope the outfit thing won't be too much of an issue because if the company gets shut down or they have to stop selling Gabriel before I get enough money for her I'd seriously die....

Mmmmm I like them so much!!

14. Has anyone ordered through angel-Studios? I love Gabriel but I am a little iffy about ordering her right now.

15. whats the Fragrant option for body you can have? is it smell for the body or what?

16. This company is amazing!!!! Their dolls are scented, they have fabulous doll sculpts and their outfits are fantastic...

theyre pretty charming...

17. There aren't many girl doll sculpts that I like... but Gabriel's really cute. And she'd be great for Keirian's Katherine.

(Just what I needed. Another doll to want... I haven't even gotten my Soah yet. :doh )

18. Yup yup, you can choose the smell for the doll body... A little like Narae's but this sort of like, replace the resin smell? XD

19. Regarding the matter of copyright infringement...I'm kind of not sure how that would go considering the conventions of japanese fandom. People make and sell doujins, cosplay, figures and other fanworks without a problem - certainly these are "derivative" but authors/creators seem flattered by, or at least tolerant of, doujin of their work. Many manga artists start off drawing and selling doujin of others' stories/designs.

On the other hand, doujin are usually sold for minimal profit (often only covering cost of production), whereas these outfits are more directly made for profit as opposed to tribute...nor is any credit given to Kaori Yuki...

To me, this is a gray zone. No credit is given, but the outfits are not exact. Furthermore, although the resemblance to Kaori Yuki's illustrations is striking, it must be admitted that the angel-with-one-cyborg-wing and the gothic-headress, etc, are fairly common manga elements. I know for sure I've seen similiar leather outfit + robotic wing (no facemask though) in many shoujo/shounen-ai manga. There are enough differences from the original illustration that, if it weren't for the names, I would've concluded that it's just another mix of the usual shoujo/goth cliches.

20. I was inclined to think there is a good argument that the clothing is generic for cyberpunk fallen angel or what have you, EXCEPT that they are linked to the names of actual Angel Sanctuary characters. That tells people that they are intended to resemble Lucifer and Jibriel, so that effectively destroys any genericity defense in my opinion.

As for the opinions of Japanese copyright holders on fanworks--yes, they tend to tolerate it, but that doesn't make it legal ;) (technically...I don't know if Japan has anything like some of our infringement defenses) Also, like you said, even if Kaori Yuki is totally okay with fanart, this is being sold for profit without any credit whatsoever. I would like to know if Kaori Yuki authorized this before making a final decision, but I think her name would be linked to it if she had. That leads me to assume that this is unauthorized, which is sad, because Jibriel is one of my favorite character designs in manga :( I don't want to contribute to violating Yuki-sensei's copyright, though.