1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

"Another You"

Aug 16, 2010

1. I don't really want to represent myself within a doll's looks or personality because, very simply, I don't like myself enough to do that. Which I know sounds horrible, but it's oh so true. And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

HOWEVER, my newest doll Sadie is kind of turning out to be who I'd like to be. She's also got short blonde hair, but her's is a pretty white blonde, rather than my dirty brown blonde. She is also a lesbian, but people are put off by or judgmental about her sexuality. She's super popular. So popular she has to pick and choose her friends to have any time for her girlfriend. Sooner rather than later, she's getting both of her arms entirely tattooed, something I've wanted to do for years but can't work up the guts. She dresses nice, has pretty blue eyes, you get the gist.

2. Soon enough I'll be getting my first doll a DOD e-an, although it doesnt look exactly like me (but my friend says it reminds her of me, maybe thats just because I introduced her to bjds) but it will have the same personality as me. And she will be dressing in the casual clothes, not the gothic lolita frilly dresses or stuff like that.

3. This is the short story of how the first, and expected as only, BJD I was going to own was supposed to be an "another me" into BJD that she never was:

I found out about and fell for BJD when I saw one who reminded of myself. So it was not planned at all, but it seemed to happen.

Before she arrived home I saw a wig which made me change my mind about the character she would finally be, the one she is today.

I could say yes, I thought about creating an "another me BJD", but no, it was not planned when I thought so and, after all, it did not happen.

4. I don't think that I would like to have a doll that looks like me... There are things about myself that I dislike and wouldn't want to be reflected in the doll though without them it would seem imperfect. I don't know.. I doubt that I will ever get one to model after myself. I'll stick to making my OCs. Their part of me enough for me.

5. Actually yes, I do have two dolls that are supposed to be me. However they are not BJDs and they were made by my Mom. I also have a painted picture that is supposed to be me. I don't have any plans to make a BJD that looks like me though, I'd rather just create something that I think looks cute!;)

6. Biff could conceivably have a mini-me if she wanted one. She looks a lot like Mari Illustrious Makinami, so the recent Dollfie Dream release would work if you swapped the blue eyes out with "Apricot" (closest thing to brown in Volks Animetic eyes) eyes. Me? Yaright. Look under the thread "a fat dollfie" to get an idea of why I wouldn't have a mini-me. However, eventually I want to do a version of my gaming and Rebel Legion character Thareen Penumbra. Probably Obitsu 50cm with a Gretel with retrofit "pixie" ears. Either that or one of those Bobobie elf chicks, but Obitsu owns all with regard to posing capability.

7. I wouldn't want a doll that looked a lot like me at all. I prefer to be a bit more original :p
      Though the characters of my dolls are all a bit derived from my own, though a bit more extreme etx. They are all small aspects of me in that way.

Even though I don't want one that looks like me, a friend came to me a while ago telling me that my SD boy looked a lot like me :p I was like "huh?" and apparently the face does resemble me a bit (I still don't see it but yeh) Since the hair is completely different and he's a boy :p
      It was a bit finny but also nice, she was about the first non-dollie person to notice he was a boy!!! xD

8. first doll I bought it because it was very similar to me AoD Juli. I made some modifications. it is more like me. I have her dress in the same style dress as I ... she is my favorite doll ;)...

sorry, bad English

9. I've seen a lot of threads on celebrity sculpts but none on dolls that are made to look like their owner ~

Would you use MiniMee or a similar service to get a doll of yourself?
      What do you think of the idea? Weird, cool, creepy?
      Would you ever sell the doll?
      Anything else?

Whenever I bring it up with anyone they usually say it sounds really vain, but I find the whole idea seriously cool! Back in the day some child dolls would be based on their owners, with the same dress and everything, so it's not without precedent. It's a you that never grows old (and never eats too many cupcakes to get into their wardrobe...)

10. i have seen it done. the main drawback is that getting only one or two heads made is expensive. most people aim for a group minimee order of about 10 to get the price down to around $100 each.

11. There's a thread about it here, and if you search around, you should be able to find evildolly's girl (who is insanely lovely I might add).

12. Yes, I'm enthralled by the idea of having a little mini-me that I can exaggerate and 'play fantasy' with and be as free with as I want :) I do plan to put one together very soon.

13. If I could have a pudgy doll like me...that could stand and function...I probably would. xD Sans all the weird tattoos...That's just because I would hate to have to re-do them every so often. xD

I'm lazy in that regard...I just wouldn't want to re-do it all the time. Also, not being able to play with the doll because of the work of tattoos, just doesn't fly with me. I buy things intending to use them and play with them. It just would put me off buying one all together.

Though I am sure once I had the doll, and had the skill to blush and paint her, I would. But I'd probably still be lazy about it. @__@ I am always lazy when it comes to my things and stuff for me. xD

14. Hello everyone, this question has been bothering me lately, and i was wondering if anyone is thinking the same.
      Have you ever wanted a doll that looks like you, or the dream version of yourself?
      Would you modify, or even get a custom doll just to resemble you?

I have future plans to make my future dolls into things I've always wanted to be but can't, like a pop star, actress, etc, because they're too outrageous. But I'm not really planning to make my dolls actually look like me.

What do you think?

15. No, I wouldn't customize or modify a doll to look like me. I'd rather I look like me than have something else look like me in addition to that. o_o Although having a sort of doll-avatar is a cool idea. Like a dollsona. They represent you and therefore can take on characteristics you wish you had, like the OP's example.

I did have a lady tell me my Galena looks like me, which I found really odd. I don't think we look at all similar but it got me wondering if that was one of the things that drew me to the sculpt - is there something subtle in her that resembles me? I have no idea, but it's fun to think about.

16. Hmmmm, it's not something I would do myself, but modifying a sculpt to look more like the owner sounds like an interesting concept. It sounds like the adult version of American Girl dolls. :lol:

17. I know that when I buy/ sculpt my first dolls I want to make mini versions of myself and my bf.
      I just think that would be the cutest thing ever!

18. I saw a post somewhere where a lady had a minimee sculpted of herself and another did of her daughter.

I wouldn't want one of myself, but Tanner's style is somewhat based on my husband. He even has a wig made of my husband's hair.