1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Any dolls based on book characters?

Apr 20, 2018

1. @Polardiepie sorry, no pictures as she doesn’t have a face up, but I guess that’s not a real excuse, lol. I should take some anyway. Thanks for giving me the push I needed.:thumbup Yeah, The Wizard of Oz books are my favorite too. I have all of them. My second is Alice in Wonderland. I’ve been thinking I’d like to turn all of my dolls into my favorite characters from books, movies, and anime and put them all in the same world.

2. @kurogane Haha you're welcome I suppose!;) I've noticed a trend of people making Alice dolls and I always think they are so cute! I enjoyed the book immensely when we read it in my Victorian Literature seminar, so I may consider making my Mei an Alice cosplay one of these days.

3. I do have a couple who are based on book characters; Jace Beleren is a character from Magic: the Gathering, but his character's mainly fleshed out in the associated fiction, particularly the book Agents of Artifice (which was much more fun of a read than I expected from a tie-in novel). They've moved away from printed novels to free stories posted online, but he's still technically mainly a "book" character, even if it's a digital "book" these days. :) And while there was a movie based on the Percy Jackson books, I've never seen it (and not heard positive reviews, though I did pick up a copy for $1 a while back, because what the heck?), so my Nico di Angelo is firmly based on the book version of the character, too. Or will be, when I finally get him presentable, since he was an unplanned purchase (in response to a question I asked the dealer, they gave me an offer of a steeply discounted price, and I sure wasn't going to turn down a discount).

I love seeing book characters around, even when there's art available of them in some way, because it's fun to see how people bring the characters to life, in a way that's a little different from the ones who have a more visual representation going in to the doll creation process!

4. Janghwa, Hongryeon, also known as Rose and Lotus, or Tale of Two Sisters.

5. I know who Jace is! I've played Magic a few times, but never to any success! I'm more of a D&D person myself, but the artwork for Magic is always stunning.
      The Percy Jackson movies are horrible and a waste of a precious $1.
      I'm definitely excited to see Nico finished! He is my favorite character in the whole series, so the fact that you're bringing him to life as a BJD makes me happy.

6. Jace is definitely one of the headliner characters, and even more so since they moved to a more lore-and-character-centric design model. (His role in the fiction for the last block was also hilariously close to the AU I have for my version of him!) I'm more of a D&D player, too, but I love the art and story for Magic.

I'm honestly planning to either find or do some MST-style mockery of the movies! And partially, I'm just curious how bad they are, too. Nico was my favorite, too (and part of the aforementioned AU too), and I had fun looking around for how I'd represent him without looking at any movie-based images. :) (I went purely from book descriptions, and I'm happy with him.)

7. When you finish Nico, please post pictures! What sculpt is he?

8. He's a Magic Time Levan, in their overly-orange tan (it looked paler in example photos), so I need to blush him to more of an olive tone. He's a very nice looking doll other than the fake-bake color, though (which I can correct), and I'll for sure be posting him over in the Magic Time Minis discussion thread when I get things sorted enough to work on him. (I also have a chibi version that's a LittleFee Lishe boy, because why not?)

9. AH that's so cute!! I'll have to remember to check the thread every so often!

10. Does it count if I'm writing a book and I keep looking for dolls that look like my characters??? It's hard though because I already have super specific ideas for the face shape and I keep looking at molds like "nooo.... that's not it..."
      Istg I need to Frankenstein a doll together.

I've also got a weird itch to make a doll inspired by Magi, that anime on netflix. Idk something about a sinbad foll with long purple hair and gold eyes with detailed jewlery sounds like so much fun. Even if I don't have the money for the doll right now I might make the jewelry now!!!

11. YOU DEFINITELY SHOULD MAKE DOLLS FOR YOUR BOOK!!! Also, what is it about? I'd love to read it once you get it published!

12. I have Harry Dresden and Aloysius Pendergast.
      I love crime series (I think Dresden counts lol) and have two more characters from different series I may think about making into dolls in the future - Harry Hole and Will Trent. They'd fit right in since a lot of my dolls end up with face scars or asymmetrical looks.

And if you count comics I have a lot of Batman \ DC characters and one Marvel.

13. Your Aloysius is amazing! You should definitely do Harry Hole, he would fit in perfectly.
      Your Harley and Joker dolls are also super cool! I read your doll profile for Joker and i'm in awe of how much dedication you put into making him perfect. :abow:

14. Thank you!!
      And I want too. Harry (Hole) fits all my doll criteria:
      > Tall
      > Skinny
      > Scars and/or tattoos
      > Baggage/issues/tragic past
      I just need to stumble across the perfect head!

Also I forgot I have Bilbo Baggins and Smaug as doll too XD

15. You have Bilbo and Smaug?!? I cosplay as Bilbo!!! Do you have any pictures?

16. I have one of Bilbo, but not Smaug for some reason. He's a "chibi" version - FL Littlefee Reni

[​IMG]

He has a different wig at this point, and I keep meaning to put "real" hair on his feet (which are Dollmore Kid feet I modded to magnet onto the LTF ankles)...but that's more or less what he looks like.

17. He is so precious! That coat is amazing.

18. I always thought Ringdoll K would make the perfect Kaz Brekker from Six of Crows, especially with his original limited edition glued-on hair (I mean, that pretty much is Kaz's hairstyle). Unfortunately, lack of funds and space means I can never make this happen in reality. =/

And then if I got Kaz I'd have to get the rest of the Crows and, er, that's opening a door I don't want to go through. :sweat I want to focus on my own OCs first!

19. Thats partially why i'm refraining from getting a DollZone Raymond for Sharon, cause I know the minute I have him i'll want the rest of the peculiars as well! :lol:

20. One of my dolls was inspired by a story a read from a manga.