1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Any dolls based on book characters?

Apr 20, 2018

1. I have a favorite character, Jilly Coppercorn, from Charles De Lint's " Newford Stories", that I shelled as an iplehouse Leona, and then since I could not resist it, I also shelled her closest friend, fiddler Geordie Riddle as an Iplehouse Rex FID.

2. Not sure if it counts but I'm naming a doll I've been sculpting who is going to have a very cyberpunk theme after a William Gibson novel/character (Idoru). Aaaand I'm eventually going to make Indrid Cold (folklore).

3. I...feel like this is my thread right here, because the majority of my dolls are my versions of various book characters. Essentially, I felt the characters had some different directions left to go in, so...I took them in those directions.

I have a Dorian Gray, an Orlando, an A.J.Raffles, Artful Dodger, all four of the Musketeers, and various others, all of whom I tied into one massive storyline and play with both in doll and written form. It's become my happy place :)

4. You have a Dorian?! Do you have any pictures of him? I love that book, so i'm so excited you have him! It's nice to see someone else doing gothic victorian literature characters.

5. Thanks!!! It's a long story. Its based around the idea that black matter is made by living things being creative, and because of that all stories and ideas are existing in space-time in a physical form! So basically magic and other things are made real by the people who believe in them! I'm going to open a kickstarter after I so some animations to advertise!

6. I’d love to make a Tinker from Wen Spencer’s Elfhome series. But she would need to be a short (maybe an MSD?) tan skin elf style doll. I’d want her in a fancy, floaty fantasy dress, with jeans underneath.

7. I've never, repeat, NEVER read The Martian Chronicles, but it's on my bucket list. When I heard that Ray Bradbury pictured his Martians as being dark-skinned, golden-eyed, and red-headed I knew I wanted to make my own Bradbury-style Martian. She'll be my spin on Ylla, whom the second chapter of The Martian Chronicles focuses on. As for which doll, I need only to turn to Bobobie. One of their MSD girls has the perfect face.

8. HE'S ADORABLE!!!! Is he an MSD or an SD? He and Eddie should be friends!

9. Bobobie is the true MVP. I've never read that series either, but that sounds like a great idea!

10. Thanks :) He's SD, hybrid actually, a DIM Robel head on an old SDF1 body.

11. @rosalynmouse Oooh, I'd love to see a Sophie and Mona...also Tattersnake and probably Bones and his wife...yay another Newford fan.

In answer to the main question: yes and no, all my dolls with few exceptions are based on my stories, with the exception of Ramona, who's a little bit like Norah Stokes from The Sky Is Falling by Kit Pearson.

12. I don't know if it counts xD; but I am planning on preordering a Merry Doll Round Dango in cookie skin next month who is going to be a modern version/reincarnation of Scheherazade, the storyteller in one thousand and one nights.

13. Not shelled characters as such, but I have used favourite character's names as inspiration.
      One of my favourite books has a character referred to as Wynter, but her actual name is Iseult and I named one of my dolls Isolde as a variant.

14. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who is or has made book character dolls. I'm planning to make Winter from the Lunar Chronicles, and have been looking at what will would fit the African face features, as well as dying techniques, and finally, scarring (as she has 3 major scars on her face under one eye running down to her jaw). I had wanted to make all the girls from the Lunar Chronicles, but I will need to do just one at a time.

15. If I had all the money in the world, all my dolls would end up based on book/TV characters. Multiple versions of Sherlock Holmes. A shabby little Columbo. The guys from the book I wrote. I have actually found the perfect head for one of 'em, but the body would set me back a mortgage payment.

I'm gonna need to sell another book so I can support this hobby.

16. God if I could, I totally would. Holly Black is an amazing author with some super cool characters that I really adore, and I would love to have a physical manifestation of them! Although, that doesn’t give as much freedom for personalities. I think it would still be really neat though!

17. I had such a revelation reading this because I keep looking K and thinking he reminds me of a character but I couldn't work out who. I basically read this and was like omg it's Kaz, of course it's Kaz. How could I not see it was Kaz.

#58 Australiana Exotica, Jul 28, 2018
      Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    18. I love Edgar Rice Burroughs's "John Carter of Mars" series. I got a doll based on Dejah Thoris, the lead heroine of the series (she's the Martian princess) and I created an original warrior character based on the Warlords of Mars. But I never got around to working on him so he has no faceup and he's not outfitted like the character should be. I want to get him tattooed or something cool some day.

19. OMG I looked up that doll and he looks exactly like Kaz! Or atleast how I imagined him to look. Although I also imagine him looking a smidge younger than the doll looks too, but that could be Kaz a few years after the series ends or something.

Does anyone have or know of people that have made Harry Potter character-themed BJDs? Even Hogwarts OCs would be awesome. I personally haven't done that but would love to see it.