1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Any famous collectors of BJD's

Apr 18, 2008

1. Nene Thomas has some as well, I do believe. I met her at Gencon about 3 years ago when I first got my CP Yder, and at the time she had a CP Soo and was about to get a Yder. ^^

2. I admit I'd be rather bitter if Gwen Stefani got into BJD- I'm not a big fan of her Harajuku Lovers theme or the woman herself. It could throw kind of a... creepy light on things.

If Anne Rice got into BJD, though, I'd be overjoyed. <3

3. Ruth Thompson has met my El and was interested. However I don't know if she has gotten into them yet.

4. I agree Rhoswyn-I'd be kind of annoyed too! You'd probably see her walking around mispronouncing more Japanese and whoring herself around as a doll fashion designer or something >.>

I don't know about famous doll collectors but there's quite a few Asian artists with BJD in their videos

5. Gwen Stefani as a BJD collector? :barf

But Anne Rice, yes, that sounds lot better. I wounder if she knows about the various BJD Cosplaying as her charaters?

Should we send her links and images to gain her attention? Perhaps we posted up lovely photo
      Of her characters.....

6. I think the conversation's getting a little off topic but I'm notorious for contributing to that so XD... I think Anne Rice as a BJD collecter would be just as yak worthy. Sorry... her books were boring as heck... and that was before she started writing about Jesus.

I don't really know of anyone particularly famous who's into BJDs myself. The only remotely "famous" person I'd know who was a collecter was Amy Brown.

7. Contributing to the OT part... this made me shoot soda on my screen.

A little more on topic... I wonder if there's a way to crossreference celebrities that have dolls, or have been known to have dolls. Not just hearsay, you know?

8. Its Amy Brown's dolls that got me hooked to bjds..
      i was surfing for fairy stuff online when i saw her bjds~~
      love her art work

9. I'm with you, sleep_pattern xD I attempted reading some Anne Rice book a few years ago, and the way it driveled on... I'd much rather see Gwen Stefani with dolls. People can get all up on their high horse about her way of showcasing the harajuku trends, but the fact is she's increased awareness of it, and her music isn't half bad.

Anyway, back on topic - that's so interesting about Demi Moore. I've never heard of the Amy person either, but that doesn't mean she isn't a big name in some places. Maybe at this very moment someone is saying something about BJD's on another site and someone else is saying "Oh, but BJD's aren't big at all" !! Hehehe.

10. There is a very famous Hong Kong actress that has I think some Volks BJD, Marsha I think...( Forgot what her doll was but it was along 1289$USD She adores her dolls and makes and designs her own outfits...

11. Um...maybe it's just me, but I'm a bit irked about the negativity in this thread toward people/celebrities who may or may not be collectors.
      I understand being excited that a favorite author/musician/actor etc. shares your hobby. But to react negatively toward someone's interest in a hobby simply because you don't care for what they've done with their professional career..? Seriously, guys, none of us, (as far as I know), know Gwen Stafani or Anne Rice, (or most other celebrities) personally. They might just be wonderful people who would be a ton of fun at a doll meet. Or they might not be. We don't know.
      It really shouldn't have anything to do with whether or not any of us LIKES what anybody else does for a living. Last I checked, that wasn't what being in this hobby was about.
      My two cents.
      I'll step off my soapbox now.

12. I think some of the boys from Super Junior/DBSG are into BJD, could just be a photoshoot thing though. Though korean pop stars don't seem to be so embaressed having dolls made of them or posing with them in photos, so it really might be their own dolls or presents from fans to them.

Some of the models from Gothic Lolita Bible as well...

13. Actually, this might not be too great of an idea. In the past Anne Rice has been known to dislike any kind of fanfiction or fanart of her characters, and has been quoted as saying something along the lines of 'they (fans) should go and create their own characters, rather than using mine and being uncreative'. That's what initially really put me off of her and her work, even before she started writing religious works and being seemingly anti-gay.

For myself, I very much see the choices one takes (yes, even in their career) as a direct reflection of the person themselves. I do not like the way Gwen Stefani has portrayed her 'Harajuku Girls', or the way she has approached trying to spread Japanese culture as a whole. Due to her choices in this, I would dread her getting into BJD. I feel she has bastardized an amazing subculture in Japan, and feel she would do the same with BJD.

With Anne Rice, I have problems with what she has said and her choices as well. I wouldn't be as opposed to her having BJD, but that's more because I don't like her as a person (what I have read and the quotes she has said), rather than I don't like what she does. I don't see any reason not to express one's opinion of a celebrity and whether or not they may be into the hobby we enjoy. I think it's a valid topic, seeing as celebrities have a great fanbase and if they were to collect BJD, it may effect our own experiences in the hobby and how the hobby as a whole grows in the future.

14. I love Mercedes Lackey! Firesong would be sooo awesome. Think of all the masks you could make for him! And the mods to give him burn scars... Oh no now I want a Firesong! Better add him to the long, long wishlist. *sigh*

15. You're entitled to your opinion, of course. I don't entirely agree, obviously, but you've made an eloquent point.

Regardless, these posts seem to be veering WAY off topic...

Maybe this should be moved to the debate section..?

16. I actually had plans a looooong time ago to make a Firesong doll, but it never quite worked out. I think that his character in particular would translate well into dollfie form. And yeah it would be soooo much fun to costume him *^^*

17. It kinds of tickles my heart to think of some celebrity, hounded by paparazzi, splashed across the tabloids, escaping to a quiet room in their 14 room mansion, sitting cross legged on the floor and just PLAYING with a doll, any doll, but specifically a BJD. Changing the clothes, the wigs and eyes. perusing DOA and the meet-up thread wishing they could attend the local meet-up that weekend.

I'm sure, positive even that there are more celebrities out there collecting than we'll ever know. I think it's wonderful. Think of the joy and the calm your dolls bring you. With their crazy lives, it's probably the only calm they get!

18. hmmm yeah, probably right. >< Talis, that's a wonderful post. ^_^

19. Waitwaitwait. Mercedes Lackey is on this forum!? I've been on here FOUR YEARS and never knew Mercedes Lackey was on here?

*chokes*

20. If there were famous collectors, wouldn't it change things a bit? If BJDs suddenly got a huge amount of publicity, it would probably lead to more counterfeiting (luckily this isn't a big problem for us at the moment) an maybe even a general decline in quality as a affordability for the masses became a bigger factor.

I would personally worry if Gwen Stefani got her hands on BJDs. I think her 'Harajuku' craze was very misguided, to say the least. The extent to which she sexualised her idea of a teen trend bothered me. I would worry about her sexualising BJDs as well.
      The image she gave out of this so called Harajuku trend was a completely fake image. I dread to think what she would do with dolls.

And I'm not just picking on Stefani. Any famous person holds power, and could cause a dynamic change within the hobby.

I guess it all comes back to how much the hobby as a whole matters, or whether we should just enjoy the dolls we own.

Hehe, that's true even for us regular people ^^