1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Any famous collectors of BJD's

Apr 18, 2008

1. My contributions to this thread *ahem*

Firstly, I'd like to point out that I personally wouldn't want ANY celebrity that gets a lot of press to throw publicity at BJDs. With good press comes a lot of bad press - imagine if someone like Britney Spears got into BJDs; what would the media say about her, the dolls, and us as a fan base. Regardless of whether or not there are fans of her among us, she gets a ton of bad publicity, and I for one would prefer not to have that bad image thrown at BJDs - we get enough of it with people saying "creepy" when they see them. The same goes for Gwen Stefani - look at the difference in opinions on here about her.
      I think it all depends on the type of celebrity (author vs. actor vs. singer, etc) and what kind of and how much of the publicity they have. In contrast, I think a lot of people might be thrilled if JK Rowling collected.

Okay, that was WAY off topic.

I recently discovered Mercedes Lackey on here and was pleasantly surprised by it. She has a discussion thread on here about fan/tribute dolls, which I found interesting, particularly in light of what others have mentioned with Anne Rice and fan art.

I am curious about some of these other celebrities that *may* have BJDs (Manson and Moore, particularly) - any evidence of this? Please share!
      :)

/end rant now.

2. Aw, the fact that Amy Brown is mentioned as being cliche makes me sad. I've been an Amy Brown fairy collector much longer than I've been into BJD's, and I still think her art is beautiful.

As for other celebrity collectors, I say if Gwen or Paris or Manson or Michael Jackson wants to collect BJD's, then YAY for them! it's just if they started promoting them, then I would get leery. Before long, you would have a vinyl BJD knockoff of Hannah Montanna in every Wal-Mart across the country!

3. I love that Mercedes Lackey collects BJD's. Her books were such a positive influence on me during my teenage years (having grown up in the backwards boonies where I was picked on for even liking fantasy books). I think they helped shaped who I am now, and made me feel less lonely then.

4. aww that's cool, i have two bubble fairies of her, they are amazing, i love her art!

and i'd love to see Marilyn Manson's dolls too!

i agree with what someone said in this thread though, forgot the name, in the end it doesn't really matter what a person does professionally who is into dolls, i see us all as equals, we are all here because we love dolls and that's it, and that's the lovely part of it. we're all just following our hearts :aheartbea

5. A lot of mangaka collect them, the most famous of which I can recall off the top of my head is Kouga Yun. She routinely puts out photo/pattern books for her dolls at doujinshi events that she attends.

6. Hot topc, lol, spencers, lol. Her T-shirts and figurines and rips from other artists, but to stay on topic- I don't consider her a famous person because she isnt featured in the media. Fame to me, would be someone in the media that would be internationally renowned such as...say Nicole Kidman or something.

While she does have one hefty fan-base, she isnt something I would personally consider famous. :P

7. Kirsten Dunst used to collect dolls right? And she did the voice of Kiki in the anime Kiki's delivery service when she was young.

My partner works in the music business and I know mister Geffen was very interested in my doll hobby. I don't think he bought any BJD but my hubby did tell me he did some background searching about BJD.

And there's the japanese band Coo-ya they use artdolls for their album covers not sure how famous they are but I have 1 of their cd's.

http://www.myspace.com/cooya

And that young girl from the Golden Compass likes wearing goth/lolly/punk clothes she's in the japanese Kera magazine. She might know about BJD.

8. You have to realize, that different forms of media have different forms of fame. Nicole Kidman is an actress, she's in movies, you know her face, her fame is IN the media. Fame for an artist is much different than fame for a movie star. For an artist's name to be featured in stores that are ACTUALLY pretty big chains, is pretty much major fame for an artist. Whether she's famous or just infamous, I say Amy Brown, or anyone, is worth a mention. :)

9. That doesn't surprise me. She bought the black Urd model my husband painted, resin kits were our gateway drug into ABJD's as well. :P

10. OMFG REALLY!?!?!? Kyaaaah~!!! That makes me too happy. I love her work. That really makes my day. It also lessons my disappointment toward this thread and its incredibly immature and OT celebrity bashing. This **points at quoted text** is what this thread is about. You either know of a celeb that's into it or you don't. Having to scroll and read through all that junk to get to this good news is a real put off.

You're all bein a bunch'a Debbie Downers!

...umm but yea... Any other known mangaka collectors?

I've seen BJDs in Japanese music videos before but I kind of doubt they're the BJDs of any of the musical artists... Here's a Ali Project's video with... a BJD? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNu2TTV-8PI dunno if she's one or not cuz I don't recognize the sculpt.
      That Sound Horizon thing was really cool though. I really love the music!

11. Marylin Manson was associated with Blythe due to the appearance of a 1972 original on the inside cover of his CD release, "Portrait of an American Family." I do not know if he has ever been affiliated with BJD's, but in the doll world he is known for this connection to Blythe. Sorry if this is off-topic, but since he had been brought up I thought this information may be useful.

12. She's on this board, I can't remember her name, but it's in her profile here on DoA - I've seen her post a dozen times or so.

Did you actually read what you wrote? "Not to be mean... I don't want to be harsh" then both times you launch into stereo-types and broadstroke insults.

Of course you are trying to be mean, harsh and insulting. No one says things like that without the intent of being superior and insulting. :roll:

13. *nods* I know exactly what you mean. I 'discovered' her 'Arrows of the Queen' just by chance when I was in High School in 1992 (I think it was the awesome Jody Lee cover art that first caught my eye :)) and I read everything of hers I could lay my hands on ever since. But, yeah, I have a warm, special place in my heart for her books and the world she created. I never knew another person in real life that read fantasy, but maybe that was a good thing since it made it even more special to me. It was a safe place to escape to when real life got tough. *sigh* I'm getting all mushy just thinking of her books...LOL. I sincerely hope that if she is a poster here she'll pop in or someone will remember her handle... Hearing this really made my day.

14. She goes by Victoria Victrix on here. I hope its okay to post that info. :sweat

15. Yun Kouga also worked with the 'Unoa Freak' book. In it is an illustration by her, and then 2 Unoa girls are dressed up after the two girls in the picture. ^^ Really gorgeous.

16. I probably think Ali project would have at least one? Haha.

[Rumour] If you know Vaness Wu, I have heard he does have 1 but I can't really confirm that. [/Rumour]

17. The mangaka Hisaya Nakajo (Hana Kimi) said in her manga that she first wanted to go to a BJD school but ended up being a mangaka. She is probaly also a BJD fan.

18. Haha, he's a hottie... but somehow I can't picture him walking around carrying a dollfie... lol (besides, he's American... which isn't to stereotype, but there's just not as much exposure and acceptance of these things here as there is in asia.)

That's awesome... another one of my favorite manga authors who likes BJD's! :)

I should start a list of them over on my anime forums... hehe.

19. After a trip to Japan Marc Jacobs was talking about being inspired by large, expensive dolls that are very popular in Japan in a recent documentary on him! I also heard that when he left Japan he bought several popular Doll-related magazines as inspiration and low and behold: http://www.fashionablycute.net/index.php?tag=doll

20. Could we make some sort of listing in the first post over which famous people collect/are interested in BJDs? :) It'd give a very easy overview.