1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Any famous collectors of BJD's

Apr 18, 2008

1. I believe Asia Wanatabe (I'm probably mispelling her name horribly) is a collector (artist/manga). She owns Volks dolls as far as I know... a modded Yukinojo and a few others.

You guys that are so worried about Gwen... I have two words for you... Marie Osmond. If that doesn't strike the fear of god into you, then nothing else will. LOL.

Side note, as far as I know she doesn't collect BJD, but she makes lots of dolls. She has her own line of several types of dolls and I heard she was making a Blythe type doll (either it's out or coming out?). Marie is NO dummy and she watches trends... and as far as I know, she knows about BJDs.

FEAR HER.

;)

2. Kidding. Really. :lol:

3. Asia Watanabe has BJDs?! @0@ I adore her art and stories, that's so cool to find out. Do you know if it's possible to find pictures/etc of her dolls?

4. Her dolls are right here! :)

Uhm, the link is PROBABLY NWS or family safe. I didn't look very closely, but she does a lot of Yaoi, so I assume it may not be super safe. Better to be safe than sorry.

5. :aheartbea Thank you so much!

EDIT: Wow, her dolls are gorgeous. I really like her modded Yukinojo (is he really a Yukinojo? I can't even tell the original mold). It's interesting that both her dolls really reflect her art style. Also, in just the three BL-ish pictures that are on the page you linked, the first two are completely WS and the third just has bare male chest. ^^

6. I FLIPPING LOVE HOLLY BLACK! I expected that she at least knew about them and what not because of her open up bringing but wow I love hearing about this ^^

7. I love her stuff, I'm actually really chuffed she has BJD's! :D I'd be really curious to see what she has and what she's done with them now since her style is so individual!

8. Unfortunately the article didn't elaborate on what kinds of BJD's she has or whether she had ever customized any of them herself. There is a small photo of her and some of her dolls with the caption "Holly with part of her treasured doll collection". Two of the dolls are the main couple from the film The Nightmare Before Christmas while a third doll looks like one of Sid's mutant toys from the first Toy Story movie (the one with a giant baby doll head with spider legs made out of Tinkertoys). There are a couple of dolls that look like some of those soft sculpture fabric dolls that I've seen at craft shows. There is one doll in that photo (on the left bottom corner) that could be an ABJD but the doll is only shown from the torso up and part of her face is cut off so I really can't say for sure it's an ABJD or not, and if it is, what company or sculpt it is.

I wish there were more photos of her doll collection because it would be interesting to see what she owns and whether she has tried to customize any of them.

9. I literally upon reading this, jumped off my chair and ran to my little sisters room to tell her, one of her favorite books' author collects BJD.
      And right now its almost 10 at night. In which she was trying to sleep. I now find myself wanting to read these books more..... -estacticbliss-

10. It's funny you should mention Holly Black, since I started this thread about a recent magazine article that featured her and it briefly mentions her interest in BJDs:

http://www.denofangels.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214441

11. I had a bit of a fangirl moment too when Mercedes Lackey announced her contest here on DoA... I was reading the Obsidian Trilogy at that time. :D

Thalía's pretty famous here! That's really cool, I didn't think she was an avid doll collector. :)

Any confirmation on Vaness Wu having a bjd? XD What about celebrities in Korea, bjds should be a lot more known there, right? I know there have been doll sculpts based on celebrities there, but are there any scoop on Korean celebrities who own bjds?

12. I post pics on Dollstown's photo gallery and have noticed Noriko Watanabe has posted pics too of her dollfies! Could this be the actress Noriko Watanabe( married to actor Sam Neill) or maybe the makeup artist Noriko Watanabe??? has me guessing.....could be famous!!.....

xen

13. While it's not known for sure if he actually owns any ABJD, it's very likely that director, mangaka, novelist, and producer Mamoru Oshii (Ghost in the Shell, Blood: The Last Vampire, Patlabor, Avalon, etc) is a collector. At the very least, he is an enthusiast. He is known especially for his obsession with the works of Hans Bellmer* (he reputedly travels to museums holding Bellmer exhibits, even in countries other than Japan), which is apparent in the designs of the gynoids from Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence. One of the GitS2:I special edition DVD releases came with a 45 cm ABJD, and they still show up on Y!JA from time to time. I believe there is at least one person here on DoA who owns one.

*For those who aren't familiar, Hans Bellmer was a European artist who created life-size ball-jointed dolls in the 1930's. His book of doll photography, Die Puppe (The Doll) was re-released by Tokyo-based publisher Editions Treville in 1995, shortly before the first Volks dolls were made. It is widely believed that his work inspired the modern Asian Ball Jointed Doll.

14. That would be amazing. Blood was one of the first movies that got me into anime.

15. I think if there's anyone hugely famous that collect's BJD's then they're probably hiding it. I would if I was famous.

16. Well said. Just because someone doesn't appreciate a particular artist's style or stuff does not make them any less well known or 'famous". The fact that i find Amy Brown's stuff in nearly EVERY pagan book store i've been in, every new age shop, and practically every Hot Topic and Spencer's, i'd say she's pretty famous.

LOL

i know that i met Patricia Quinn at a con once, and she flipped OUT when she saw my dolls. She begged me to hold them, and i've got a pic of her somewhere with them.

Patricia Quinn played "Magenta" in the original Rocky Horror :) Not sure if she's really a 'celebrity" though, but i got an email a while back from her, (about a year and a half) and she stated that she now has a Volks Megu. :)

17. Yayy! I'm not famous, but this is exactly what brought me to bjd's ... trying to find visual reps of my book characters.

18. I've never heard this before! Do you happen to have the photos from the shoot? The only time I can remember DBSK having dolls ina shoot is that really old one where Jae is sitting on boxes with these Takara, or somesuch, dolls. Somehow, I can't really imagine Changmin with a BJD... ^^;