1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone ever inappropriately handle your doll?

Jul 4, 2011

1. It depends really. I don't mind letting people at anime cons hold my dolls as long as they don't run off with them. I've never had anyone handle my dolls disrespectfully at a con, and I've let dozens of people hold them. Now an old coworker of my fiancee's handled Folken roughly, touching his face and then passing him around to her friends without asking me first, that kind of annoyed me. =..=

2. Oh, I've had a few experiences.....

The people at the mall we used to have meetups at who thought the dolls were apparently free samples of a product and would attempt to walk off with them, becoming belligerent when we would demand our dolls back. Or demand that we sell them to them. And when told the price IF we were so inclined, would usually respond with a variation of either "What! Are you out of your mind to spend that type of money?" Or "They can't be that expensive. It is not like they are Barbies." Or my all time favorite-"I have a couple dozen of these things in my attic so I know they are not worth that much."

Or the woman at a meet who decided, without asking my permission, to take sales photos of my doll in clothing she was selling . I turned from talking to someone else to see her with my doll's coat off and her trying to wrench his shirt over his head; the shirt that has a neckline requiring you to remove his head to get it on. When I went over because I realized this woman was not taking no for an answer and was going to use my doll whether I like it or not, I had to MacGyver my shoelace as a S-hook puller so as to not have his faceup taken off. Her response? "You're such a baby, it's only a doll. Just get another faceup."

Same woman who knocked over her dolls at any meet she was at and caused untold damages (knocking my Glati's eyes back into his head, knocking a friend's Beryl's wig and headcap off, and then kicking the headcap across the mall we were at, chipping my doll's nose) and her only response was ALWAYS ""Name of her doll" is all right". It became a joke between the rest of us.

She also took a friend's EID and to test if they indeed weigh 7 lbs, shook him so hard that his knee joint wound up in his thigh. Again, her response was "you're like such a helicopter mother, it's only a doll".

Not that my friend is 100% perfect herself; there was the time she threatened to take one of my dolls (the doll that I first fell in love with) and smash it against the floor because she "doesn't like the company". (With all due respect, like I care.....:|)

Or my personal favorite. The very first meetup I ever went to, someone going to pick up an Ark, knocked it over, and sent it into my mother's One-Off CH Bin (a mold they don't produce anymore, her first doll, and her less than 2 month old birthday present), Sent the Bin off the table into the wall, which he slide down, slamming into the heating vent, finally landing hard on the tile floor. He (miraculously) was unharmed, not even a bit of chipped faceup, thankfully. The guilty party's response? "Oh, thankfully the Ark isn't hurt, you might have had to pay for him if your doll caused any damage". :|.............

I wonder sometimes why I even go to Meetups..........

3. A good friend of mine will put my girl into sexy/suggestive poses whenever I visit him. I tell him to cut it out but I don't get seriously angry at him as I personally am a bit guilty of the 'inappropriate positioning' thing sometimes. :sweat

4. @july31
      That's terrible to hear about the mall meet up thing. o.o; I'm the type of person who might haul off and slug someone who tried to steal/touch my doll (One of my biggest pet peeves is someone messing with my stuff without asking first) The meet up that I (try) to go to is in a small cofee shop where there isn't a lot of foot traffic.

5. Oh wow july31. That all sounds crazy D: the mall people, and those people at the meetups. I'm glad that CH Bin came out okay!

6. Well... my little sister borrowed my Cerian once, wanting to braid her hair, and not knowing that her hair sat so loosely, she held her only by the hair, and whoop, Cerian fell straight down to the floor, head down. Really, my little sister's got her own BJD after that, and she's probably more careful than me with her, but that one time I was really pissed.

Also, I've had some young cousins "borrowing" her without my consent, and beating her up and doing all sorts of "harmful" things to her, but she's gotten through it all without a scratch.

7. @July31:

That sound awful!! T^T I'm so glad I haven't met anyone like that yet, but really, how insensitive can persons get?? :( It sound like those you've met should think before they act/utter something...

8. Oh wow, July31... I would either not be going to the meet-ups or hold onto the one doll I took and not let anyone hold it. If I saw anyone doing ANY of those things to my dolls, I'd slug them. But... I've gotten to the point where I am very outspoken if I feel I'm being wronged. I've called the cops on a "friend" for stealing my mp3 player when I knew she'd done it and she was lying about it. She'd already sold it to a pawn shop -_- and they had no "proof" she did it, but scared the shit out of her, and I have no desire to hang out with her after that anyways.

On to the doll thing... I handle everyone's doll with respect and care. :/ I'm lucky that the people who have meet-ups in my area are VERY respectful of everyone's dolls. We even took turns watching dolls while some of us left the area to take photo shoots (in a public place). I've had people ask if they could see the dolls at restaurants... or politely ask questions, but I've never had anyone demand I sell a doll, try to take a doll, etc.

The only time I panicked a little was when a girl who had my doll taking pictures of it had let another member at the meet (who I'm friends with) take her for pictures, too. I was perfectly okay with it! But when the girl came back to the table without my doll, I was like: O_O Eep! Where's my doll? and when she explained, of course I relaxed. But if it was with a group of people I didn't trust, I'd be upset.

Again, great group of people. I've been lucky... but I've seen some horrendous things happen at anime conventions with people jerking dolls out of other people's hands, picking them up off tables (even with signs that say DO NOT TOUCH), and just in general being disrespectful. :/

9. @WinonaFlammery

Wow she sounds like a tough doll! That's terrible what happened with her. I really hate when people feel they're entitled to touch your things like that just because they're family D:

10. She's... unexpectedly tough actually, considering she's a Yo-SD size who cost $110 with face up... XD
      I know, I was very pissed off each time this happened, so every time someone who's careless and can harm her comes to visit, I lock my room >.<

11. I impulsivly hit my friend when he pulled my dolls pants down. :?
      I thought he was gonna do something that might break her, it was impulse!
      He looked tottaly shocked and appologised... I was a bit in shock too... we ended up laughing over it. :sweat
      (he always handles her right now LOL )

12. My dad took my dolls shorts off when I left the room to see if it was a boy or a girl :(

13. Sounds like an awkward subject to bring up next time.

14. I haven't had too many bad experiences, most of the time when I go out with my dolls people are considerate enough to ask permission to hold or touch them, and are very gentle when they do so.

HOWEVER.

About two years ago, I was volunteering at a Disney convention and was there for a week with almost unlimited access to the parks. I decided to bring my first and then only doll with me to take pictures, since the scenery there is really quite nice. I went to Magic Kingdom, over to Tom Sawyer's Island, and to the fort they have there. I set him down in a water pail and right after I snapped this picture, a little girl came up, grabbed my doll's head and twisted it around and didn't let go for about 30 seconds. I was so shocked that I just stood there with a :o face, frozen!! Her mother said, "Laura, don't touch things that don't belong to you" and the little girl waddled off with a huff. My doll was not damaged in any way and had a crappy face-up at the time, but it was still quite unnerving. :...(

15. I rarely go to meet-ups due to time and transportation issues so thankfully I have few problems to report. However, I do have a single anime convention I used to attend and during my last visit to it I had a rather uncomfortable experience with my Bellose boy. I was carrying him around with me as I walked around, including in the Artists Alley where more and more folks are becoming aware of or own BJDs themselves, so I wasn't the least bit surprised when a girl from one Lolita booth was quite excited to see him. Seeing as my whole purpose of carrying him around with me was to hopefully encounter other enthusiasts as well I didn't really have any issues in handing him over when she asked if she could see him. I was actually pretty thrilled she could tell he was a boy despite his pink wig and all pink outfit!

What bothered me was when I tried to ask for him back. She was obviously smitten with him and I was flattered, but she continually joked she wouldn't hand him back to me unless I purchased something from her booth. Alright, haha, that's funny the first time. But she continued to hold onto him and then began to stroke the sides of his face. Thankfully he had a face-up done by yours truly so it wasn't too catastrophic but I know I would have been much more upset had she done so with his new, professional face-up. And then she still wouldn't give him back! To be honest I was less than thrilled with any of the items she was selling and sick of having her business partner trying to show me just how "cute" their headbows would look on my doll. I just wanted to get him back and leave. Needless to say once she did finally return him I did not go back to her booth the rest of the weekend, and I'm quite glad now that was my last anime convention.

16. my mother likes to grab them by the arm when I ask her to pass me one of my dolls. I have asked her not to many times, explained why it's bad, and she just kinda laughs at me 8| I don't ask her to pass me dolls anymore.

17. Mostly I have had people take there pants of to see if there boys or girls. I did have on girl at a con get mad cause I would not let her hold my Shiwoo Riven while I visited the little girls room. I am sorry I don't know you and no thank I will make due. The girl kept on like it was the worst thing a person could do. That about the worse with my dolls thank god.

18. A friend of my sister's took Dani (Buddy Doll Raphael) and twisted his thigh joints. I didn't realize she was doing that cause I was in the other room and when I finally noticed she'd turned his joints a number of times already. @_@ That was the only time someone mishandled my doll.

My 15 year old brother who's much younger than me seems to know the proper way to handle a BJD though. Just yesterday, I was cleaning the room and I handed Dani over to my brother to "look after" -- lol. Usually, Dani's in his box, but Kash (my Limhwa Mano arrived without a box of his own so he's using Dani's for now). My brother took him and sat him down next to him on the couch, and they sort of watched TV together. Even I don't do that with my dolls! It was really cute. I never told him the doll was valuable or anything or that it had to be handled with care. Somehow, he just knew. He even placed his hand on Dani's shoulder to keep him still on the edge of the couch.

19. I was at my dad's and he tryed to stick a cat toy Banana between Hazuki legs. My dad can be a jack ass sometimes. He then wanted to thow her out the window to see what would happien to her.

20. I've noticed that ever since I was a kid and everyone always checked barbies to see if they were 'decent' or had more realism. It's like some uncontrollable human trait or something. Of course, now they get the extra shock/thrill of seeing anatomically correct dolls, but seriously, wth? That would make a great poll. "Do you experience an uncontrollable urge to find out what your friend's doll has going on 'down there'?" My aunt keeps nagging me since she pulled my Anglesdoll Micheal's pants down. It's not my fault he's not "kosher". O_o