1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone Scare Themselves With Their Dolls

Feb 19, 2017

1. I'm a huge weirdo, I've been into/watching horror since I was a small baby, and though they are rare, my favorite video game genre is (Japanese) survival horror. I've have been desensitized to pretty much all "scary" things in life, and love creepy things; I've never felt the "uncanny valley" feeling a lot of people seem to get when they see something that's obviously inanimate, but looks realistic enough to pass for a living being, be it human or other kinds of animals. Like sculptures, manikins, dolls/toys, whatever it may be. I've never felt afraid of any of my own toys, nor of my most realistic dolls.

I keep my resins in my closet for many reasons (for my cats, and to lessen the speed of yellowing), but when I'm modifying some of them I keep their heads around on my desk or near my bed, wherever I can keep an eye on them during my sleeping hours (I'm an insomniac so I don't really sleep deeply enough to be completely unaware of life around me). I'm a weirdo, so I find it really interesting whenever I read about people being afraid of dolls, because I've loved dolls all my life (except for baby ones, because they creep me out in a very different way). I'm afraid of any and all bugs though, and I prefer them as far away as possible from me (I'm vegan, so I'm not okay with killing them, and it's a huge pain in the gut having to call on someone else to take them out for me). So yes, creepy, ugly, freaky, realistic etc. dolls are okay with me, but tiny things with multiple legs and exoskeletons are kind of nightmare inducing for me. DX

2. I’ve dabbled in writing horror, and horror movies. I’m the kind of person who loves small enclosed spaces, heights, public speaking and bugs, reptiles, and any number of other slimy generally not as appreciated animals. Also had a fascination with mannequins for years. I sleep surrounded by my dolls (I have blackout curtains) and that doesn’t bother me at all, except when my new twigling girl fell into my bed, and instead of waking me up, I woke up hiding her and I had to worry about her faceup.

the only time I was ever afraid of a doll was at a very weird time in my life. I wasn’t aware that living off of grapefruit juice was deactivating my anxiety meds, and it was my first time ever living alone. I got these really nice eyes. 10mm light ice blue enchanted doll eyes. I have them in my Twigling Kahlo, whose head is right beside my bed now, and she doesn’t bother me at all.

but life in my first year of uni was weirder than that. I put them in my iple carina, and suddenly, I felt like she was watching me, always. Not a rational response, but I felt like her eyes followed me. She was there, and staring. I had read a short story about a game in which the player basically summons a demon into a cloth doll and then ends up having to stab it... hide and seek for one, if anyone is wondering.

it was not great to think about with my now very animated doll looking at me. So I put her, sitting in the closet, and I talk to her. I tell her what I’m doing, say goodnight and all, and then I shut the door. Well, the problem was, the other closet doll wasn’t the best at sitting, and caused a chain reaction that ended in her falling into the closet door.

At 4am. So I just didn’t go back to sleep. And she went back into the default brown eyes iple shipped her with, because those didn’t seem so animated. I joke that those are my cursed eyes, but the doll I have wearing them now is still great. Probably because I’m under less stress, and not deactivating my meds. Ironically, I’m about to buy a couple sets of 10mm form enchanted doll again soon.

3. A wile back I bought my first second hand doll and had him laying out on a counter while I was working on a wig for him, I guess I either placed him down funny or his joints shifted but when I turn't around and looked back at him we made direct eye contact :( 0/10

I haven't really bonded with him and this might have been one of the reasons lmao