1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Are boy dolls really less of a challenge? More boring? XD

Jan 22, 2006

1. I don't really feel like my boy is more limited than a girl doll would be but perhaps that is because, regardless of the gender, I'd have my dolls a very limited wardrobe according to their character. However... the thing about "out of character" thing... I am very guilty of that :sweat I LOVE buying clothes so if it fits him, I'm having it :XD: But I suspect I'd be the same with girl dolls in that respect

2. I find boy dolls more challenging. It's a lot easier to make nice dresses for girls than it is to make well-fitting pants or tops for boys.

3. I've kept the outfits for both my girl and boy doll pretty simple, so I don't think boys are harder or easier. I might change my tune if I start making their clothes more intricate, but as long as I'm in school I don't see that happening XD Then again, my girl is a Doll Chateau Elizabeth, so she can only really wear shirts and such...

4. I can't agree with topicstarter: fantasy boys are more interesting than casual girls and as interesting as fantasy girls. There are no limits for imagination in this conception.

5. I wouldn't say boring. Thats just them, I am personally really looking forward to buying boy clothes, when I get a boy doll.

6. My boy isn't even here yet and he's already been a lot of fun. He's going to be a guy who likes bright colors, so I just go on Etsy and dig. It's challenging at times. Not frustratingly so, but enough so that I do have to dig pretty deep into Etsy's guts to find something nice. The results have been rewarding so far, but it's made waiting for Johnny that much harder!

7. I won't say they're less of a challenge but they're not as fun as girls for me. Don't get me wrong, I have two boys that I love to bits but as for dressing them and making wigs, I like girls better. Same thing with face-ups, I prefer to make girls face-up.
      They're not uninteresting though, and in my opinion more challenging because I have more of a hard time to find the clothes I want for them, struggle with their wigs, and making a face-up manly enough on a very sweet and almost gender neutral face is not the easiest thing !

8. For me it is just the opposite! I find it really easy to make a girl look pretty and that's it.
      But with a guy... for me is a real challenge to have him looking as handsome as I want him to be, finding clothes on his style...

9. It's really fun to me to step back and look at how much more extensive the ready-made costume market is for BOTH genders these days. Ten years ago, when this thread was new, our selections were much more limited in a lot of respects. If you wanted black-pleather rock stars, "jeans and a tee" casual or the suit-wearing businessman look for your guys... or the black-pleather rock stars, Japanese kimono or frilly-puff Lolita look for your girls, you were golden. Just about anything else was few and far between. Some styles you were more or less stuck commissioning or making yourself.

Some things *still* aren't always easy to find, but the sheer diversity of what IS available leaves the selection we had in 2006 absolutely in the dust. That's just as true for the guys as it is for the girls. Relatively speaking, we're living in closet bliss no matter who we're trying to dress. :lol:

10. I think boys are more challenging to dress and customize and certainly not boring.

11. I think it's whatever you prefer! I LOVE having boys! I have some girls, but mostly have boys. It's actually pretty fun to have both, but I do prefer the boys.

12. More than half of my dolls are guys. I design for and dress the guys. I've been sewing for decades, so dressing the girls wouldn't be an issue, but more people dress the female dolls and, quite frankly, I love doing extraordinary things for the guys. I specialize in historic garb.

13. I totally agree! Perhaps we don't expect boys to be as fun as girls at first (I was thinking like that before), but creating a unique and charismatic male character actually is another kind of joy entirely! Both the challenge and the sensation it brings are deeper!

In my opinion, the main challenge looks like finding the right clothes and accessories for him (a lot harder if he's an extraordinary character). A pretty girl would look pretty even in rags or naked, depending on the concept. But I always get the feeling a male needs well-made and sophisticated stuff to bring out his charm.

14. Considering this topic is a little older.. xD
      I absolutely love male dolls, they are challenging to me because I'm incredibly picky with them. Girls on the other hand, are much easier to dress, at least in my opinion.
      Suits, jeans, jackets, tops, diverse kimono styles.. *swoons* there is a huge variacy so at some point it kinda evens out
      I'd say tastes differ :)

15. I don't think that male sculpts are any more (or less) of a challenge than female sculpts. That being said, I have never owned a male doll & probably won't. I admire other peoples', but I prefer female dolls.

16. I agree that boys are more of a challenge. It's so hard to get a look that isn't too feminine. I only have one boy but his hair drives me nuts. Nothing looks right.

And I started dressing him casually, the way my husband dresses, but I never knew man's wardrobes were so specific top match things to, just like girls. I'd say it's just as much fun, for sure.

17. Anyone who says boy dolls are boring has never dealt with a boy doll that will require custom everything. They can be just as challenging as girl dolls, dare I say far more challenging.

#377 Selenae, Mar 6, 2016
      Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
    18. All my dolls are mature/ adult tinies or smaller, and finding guys hair that size is not easy. Only two of four have one I'm happy with. as for making them clothes the range of appropriate clothing might be narrower, but I have not yet managed to make mine much at all. One of mine would be comfortable in somewhat feminine clothes, as soon as I get around to making them.

19. I don't think the gender of the doll makes it more challenging or boring. If anything dolls are the blank canvas and it's your challenge to make them, their look, and their story as exciting or as boring as you want although I do agree that sometimes girls have more variety in fashion but I think if you put your mind to it they can be anything you want them to be :D