1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Are boy dolls really less of a challenge? More boring? XD

Jan 22, 2006

1. I think clothing options are only as limited as a persons ability to search. *Shrugs* I can sew which is a good addition. But if you look at the sheer numbers of differences when it comes to real person clothes it's easy to see that there are a lot of different things for both boys and girls.

So far most of my boys are going to have fairly small wardrobes but that's their personalities. Once I get Victor he's probably going to have more clothes than I do. *chuckles* I think what you can and can't put a doll in has more to do with the personality of the doll than the gender.

2. I don't have any boys, but maybe your boys are looking for other areas of expressing themselves?

3. I like girls more... >_> thats why I have 4 girls and no boys. Thats why all 4 of my girls have multiple outfits and Doli only has one. Hes so much harder for me to shop for and sew things for... @_@ I definitly enjoy sewing for girl dolls more. ^^

4. Yeah, they are more challenging... but that's okay, cause neither of my boys mind having only 2 outfits, And I'm not complaining!

5. No way. Boys = For the win.

Nah, I just generally like boys better.

6. I like dressing my boys... because one is Shota-con bait and the other... well he's just himself. xx Though I do often find myself wishing I had a girl doll so I could do the dresses thing.. But that's why the FSC doll I wanna get is gonna be a cross-dresser! >^^< Yeps... then I'll be happy. And I love to design cloths for my boys.. even if they are a little gay looking. xx (and show off their butt cracks every time they sit down. xx)

~suppi

7. All of my boys have such different clothing styles it's hard for me to get bored. I also adore quite a few looks so I made sure my characters would express my various tastes, partially to differentiate them from one another but mostly so I could get visually creative. Magnus wears suits and haute attire, Idris wears casual clothing and traditional Japanese clothing, Nathan has a gothic fetish fetish, Max wears gay urban attire with a 'lil punk thrown in and is willing to cross dress, Lex dresses like an irreverent seasonal fashion label victim nightmare on crack. (Lex will be my challenge.)

I dressed myself up for so many youthful years of clubbing that most girl clothing doesn't interest me anymore. I look back at the number of times I saw really cute boys who just wouldn't put the effort into looking fabulous. I couldn't do anything about it but I always wanted to fix them up. My resin guys happily play along.

And, although I love designing for girls, sewing for girls can be more difficult.

8. I find menswear so fascinating specifically because there are so many rules. You can call just about anything a dress, but limiting one's self to very subtle variations makes you really think about things like cut and texture. If womenswear were equivelent to an infinate number line, menswear would be the infinate number of fractions between one and zero.

9. Overall, it is harder for me to dress my boys than my girls, with the exception of Hayden, my "jeans and tee shirt" guy. But I think there are actually more unique and cool (for lack of a better word) outfits and styles available for boys than for girls.

Despite this abundance of boys clothing, though, I find it more challenging to dress my boys because there are so many styles and looks to choose from that I'm just not familiar with! I am, after all, a girl that has collected exclusively girl dolls in the past. ^_~ So dressing boys is rather new to me, relatively speaking. It's taking me awhile to get the hang of it.

10. It just depends on the boy! I have one who just likes to wear sweatpants and old shirts I made for him, two who like to be naked or wrapped in scarves, and two who are cross-dressers, so they are a nightmare to shop for :D Finding girls clothes that fit boys is so hard!

11. I own 2 boys and prolly don't plan on getting any girls in the future. =3 Making clothes for them is just fun~ One of the crossdresses but it's cuz he looks like a girl sometimes. xD Boys costumes aren't really that much limited actually. They can wear complicated design and look very hawt that way. xD

12. At first I thought boys were more exciting, but I am now pining for a girl, I'm not the type to put a male doll in a skirt, and I have been wanting to sew girly things, I'm in need of a female doll. Weird.

13. I don't think it should be difficult or uninteresting to dress boy dolls. Unfortunately many people consider anything that deviates from the most typical male styles "crossdressing." Even if the outfit is perfectly "masculine" in terms of cut and style, like just a jacket and pants, if it's made out of a fabric like jacquard or velvet that's uncommon for men, the poor boy's liable to be called a transvestite. -_____-; Few designers make clothes in such fabrics for boys, unless it actually IS a dress.

So it's difficult to dress Jeremie. Aside from suits, 95% of boy clothes are either too casual or too punk. The remaining 5% costs 30,000 yen and up for a single outfit. It takes me forever to sew, so he doesn't get new clothes often. If Jeremie was an SD10, I'd probably end up getting a lot of girls' outfits composed of separates, ditching the skirts and keeping the shirts/jackets, but he's an SD13 and too big for that. There's no sign of a new outfit appearing anytime soon so I'm thinking his next ensemble might be a bedsheet and jewelry. (LOL)

In contrast, my girl Ageha is a lolita, and if I keep an eye out, it's possible to get her a pretty secondhand dress for only $20. What a good girl! ^_^

14. actually, my boys are a bit more demanding clothing wise than my girl. Megumi has a few outfits that she sticks to, a few pairs of shooses, her dresses are easy for me to do because I can do girl lolita outfits with ease.

When it comes to Jun, Jenova and Fuan, the outfits get complicated. They each have a very specific style and those styles, while similar, are pretty detailed and at times, complicated [like the cargo pants I recently made Jun, I styled them after a pair I have, and did all the details... it took so long T__T]. I need more shooses for them, because while they can wear the same shooses, they don't for the most part because as I said above, their styles are different.

Jun is more punk/cyber. Jenova likes flowing things that are still boyish, Fuan is a boy who works best in gothic girly type outfits, his brother will be more like Jun in tastes, but the colors will be very different.

I love designing new outfits for each of them, since I stick to their hair styles and eye colors and don't change those, the fun comes in dressing them to suit their looks and personalities. My boys are very touchable and I can play with them where as Megumi has made it very clear she's just for looking ;_;

15. I don't find any limitations when it comes to my boy, but then when it comes to clothes he's very catch-as-catch-can (in his culture there's no gender-division of clothing, so he finds the 'skirts for girls, trousers for boys' generalisation here rather pointless) He wears a wide variety of things he likes - for example, in the most recent photos I took, he goes from skirt -> kimono -> jeans, and I think they all suit him equally well. The only limitations I find when it comes to him are due to his personality, not his gender. There are a lot of clothes he would wear if they weren't completely black, for example. Then it becomes a challenge of finding something brightly coloured to break up the black so he'll wear it ^^

I can see the potential challenge if the boy in question is the type to stick to traditionally male clothes, perhaps, but if you and he don't mind branching out a little it's much easier.

16. Boys aren't less challenging they're more challenging because of certain limitation to their wardrobe you have to be inventive and creative to come up with new ways of doing a set of pants and making it different from the last pair and such things.

17. no way! :D if anything, I think girls are more difficult to dress, because everything has been done with woman's wear. And, when it comes down to choices, it's either sexy or cute +_+ which is why I like designing for boys way more..take girls wear, or things that are considered girls wear in real life, and turn them around, using different fabrics and adding new things to make them stylish and boyish :D Personally, I love looking at male j-rock artists..their costumes are amazing! while girls..well..lolita dresses also get boring after a while..

if you really want to do stuff that is only casual, what a man in reality would wear, yes, then the boys are limited..but if your boys don't mind the androgynous/different look, it's so much fun desinging for them :D it really depends on your doll and what you want, I think..(and if you sew yourself or you buy stuff..though, when you look at luts..they also have the most amazing boy stuff..and it doesn't look girly, or at least I think it doesn't)

18. Actually, one of the reasons I was attracted to male bjds was because of their androgyny. I read a quote by a model once, who said 'big breasts get in the way of good clothes' - and while I've seen some lovely buxom girls, I have to say that for my own aesthetic, this kinda rings true...I love sewing for my boy because he's so genderless in many respects that I can make him *anything* I feel like - and because he's so slender he wears everything like a catwalk model (of either gender).

I think how you dress a doll depends more on personality than sex - I've seen girl dolls who look most comfortable in a shirt and jeans, and boys who wear Vivienne Westwood-style ball-gowns... For me, it's more that there are some individual dolls who it is/will be more fun to dress, and others who prefer simple things.

19. I definitely find my boy easier to dress than my girl, but I like to put him in (relatively) simple outfits that aren't difficult for me to make or find. I know some very talented seamstresses whose tastes are very similar to mine, which is perfect. :) I really enjoy pairing the perfect shirt with the perfect trousers, or finding a fabric with a gorgeous pattern that I know is going to look great with his eyes/wig/skin.

By contrast, I put my girl in all the things I can't wear myself, due to lack of money... or lack of boobage. Since she's a Unoa, there's not much out there to buy, and I like to put her in early 20th century styles (especially 1940s-50s), and so drafting elaborate patterns for her very curvy body is definitely more of a challenge than for the fairly straight-up-and-down boy body.

Would I say my boy is more boring than my girl? Definitely not - I have much more fun than I should in picking out outfits for him and putting them together. It drives me nuts when I see badly-dressed men, and I always have the urge to take them shopping and buy them clothes that actually suit them.... but if I actually followed through on the urge, I'd end up locked away somewhere. :sweat So both of my dolls are very satisfying to dress, but in different ways. Sadame will, I think, end up with a large wardrobe full of simple but cool separates, and Zuzu will have a smaller but more elaborate selection of outfits.

20. Boys less of a challenge????!!! More boring??! Oh man that is so evil to say *pets Kaoru*!

I really do not think that, and I have a lot of fun dressing my boy in different getups just look at my shoots ^_^
      And I certainly do NOT find it boring to dress him up. But I think this all depends on how "boring" you want to make your boy look. And I'll dress Kaoru up in anything to comes to my weird mind ^_~*

So whoever said this has never found the interesting way to dress up a guy :wiggle

Sabriell