1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Are boy dolls really less of a challenge? More boring? XD

Jan 22, 2006

1. Before I found my boy, I always thought I'd get a girl doll, because I was of the opinion that girl dolls would be more fun to dress up, and they'd be able to wear everything that I didnt dare to wear myself. Being cute, they'd be able to pull off things like ruffly and lacey outfits that I want to wear, but can never do so. A friend laughed at me and told me that boy dolls were more interesting. I didnt believe her.

A month later, I bought a boy doll. And realised just what a dumbhat I've been. Now I find girl outfits way too generic, everyone and their neighbour seems to be either wearing goth or loli or something cutesy. While with guys outfits, they tend to have a lot more variety and much more of a challenge. Yes, it's harder to find clothes for them, but that's where the satisfaction comes in =3

Repeated over and over again, I think it all comes down to the doll's personality. If the doll is comfortable living in shirts and jeans, then well, there's a ton of that flooding the market. ^^; but definitely, boy dolls are not less of a challenge, and not in the least, less interesting! XD

2. Personally, I don't really have a preference for a boy or a girl, but I think it's a bit easier to find/think of things for a girl doll to wear, only because they have a much larger range of things they can wear.
      Like, boys can wear a top, a bottom, a coat, a hat, shoes, and maybe some accessories, but a girl can wear all of that, plus skirts, dresses, a large variety of different styles of tops, lingerie, tights/nylons, and tons of different kinds of shoes.

I think it's not particularly the level of difficulty though, it's just a much smaller selection. But, for seamstresses/taylors with boy dolls, they usually have only one measurement around their torso, so you don't have to acommodate for breasts and hips and things.

3. I find having a boy doll is a huge challenge for me. I always wanted to have a girl doll first, but then dollmore put hound up on ebay and I had an impulse-buying moment. I have the hardest time finding anything I like for him (maybe a couple of things from Iplehouse, but that's about it, and they're really expensive), and clothing is so hard to make for him. Wigs as well - I've been having an impossible time finding a wig that would look nice on him.

When I get my Nabee, I imagine things will be a little easier. More clothing selection, (already I've picked out about 5 outfits I'd like to get her), more wig flexibility (several styles I like, that would never work on my hound), wider range of footwear....etc.

I'll really have to wait and see when I get her, but for now I'm still hunting to find even one good wig for hound. =_=;;

4. My mom and I collect together, and she is so drawn to the boys. I love both boys and girls. I don't find it difficult to dress the boys; I just let my imagination run wild. I'm currently working on some gold metallic leather pants for our boys. I dress them in everything from really preppy to really wild.

I sometimes find it more difficult to dress our girls, because they seem to have much stronger preferences. All of my girls have very different styles; the boys are much more flexible.

5. I have dolls because I sew, so I find sewing and designing for boys MUCH more difficult BECAUSE they are "boring." My girls have fun frilly dresses, but I'm stumped as to what to dress my single, young boy in. Although I do find it much easier to dress the younger boy than the shiwoo I had at one time. I much prefer the variety offered by my girls.

6. i have the feeling that generally ppl seems to think girls dolls as more interesting. even in the dolly community.

last week i went to buy some casual clothes for my boy. guess what the salesperson tell me: you should have a girl doll, at least we can give you something like underwear as little gift for purchase.

and when i went to another store, there was everything for girls but i have troubles even finding a tee for my boy.

my friend who does not collect doll said that if she does she will get a girl one so she can dress her, style her hair in many different ways........

i can change clothes and wigs for my boy too. currently, i'm thinking about collecting boy dolls only. don't understand why ppl think they are less interesting. by no way it's like that.

7. I think for me, boys have been easier. Maybe the reason a few of my other dolls had bonding problems is because they were girls. Boys are easier generally to me. The only two girls I think I really want are Nono and a F-07 oldskin.

Later. x3 I'm having fun with boys. And Thief's just as happy in a dress as in a pair of jeans. If I like something I can buy it and someone will wear it.

Girls are almost boring to me. x3

8. I don't find my boys and their clothes boring. I prefer boy dolls, and male clothing, for the most part.

I have no interest in girl dolls, and I'm not into dresses or skirts, or really hyper-feminine clothing.

I have one little girl, a Petite Ai, that I'm stuck with, because her brothers would never forgive me if I put her up for "adoption". ^_~

I'm afraid she doesn't have a lot of pretty little outfits.
      Kestrel has a few mismatched "girly" bits and pieces, that were discarded from various outfits that I bought for the shirts and/or other items that suited my boys.
      These bits and pieces are things like frilly skirts, and cutsy purses. They mostly look like the sorts things you might find in a little kid's dress-up box. :P
      She also has a stretchy Barbie halter dress that fits her like a little sundress, a bunch of Ken's boxers which fit her like shorts, and a couple of pairs of baggy Ken shorts that fit her like pants.
      All the actual BJD Petite Ai clothing I've bought for her are basically miniature versions of the clothes her brothers wear. :)

Worst case, she looks like a six year old who put together her own outfit, and got dressed all by herself.... best case, she looks like one of her older brothers helped her. LOL!

9. I don't find the boys boring at all. :) Both types have loads of cool clothes in our house, and our boys don't even dress "girly". :) (Of course, we also make doll clothes ourselves... :p )

EDIT: I'd think boy dolls are MORE of a challenge to dress, because it's so much easier to find cute stuff for girls, and modern boy-wear is often less interesting (as compared to modern girl-wear) than antique-style, ancient-style or ethnic boy-wear, which is... also still harder to find. :rolleyes:

10. Today I have proven to myself once again that boys are *definitely* more a challenge to sew for than girls.

I spent pretty much all my sewing time today on two little details on a boy outfit, tearing things out over and over to get things right. Without them looking right, the whole garment would look wrong, and when they look right, no one will even notice them in particular.

THAT'S what makes boys such a challenge.

Marcia.

11. No. I really can't think of a lengthy answer right now (might edit later). No, simplely no, I don't find boys less of a challenge to dress. They can be a very wide range you can play with and still be in character. Or even if it isn't totally in character. I think the same is with girls. I know the girl I get wouldn't be caught dead in pink or ruffles. But she will wears skirts. (hmmm..I think my girl will be easier to dress in certain ways) I guess she will be goth-like but one can't be so sure. She will just be who she wants to be. If I had to pick a style that my current boy (Amon) leans to, it would be sort of preppy. But I love to dress him in club clothes sometimes. :D And I so want to dress him in sarongs. ^_^ And my other boy that I plan to get will have a different style. I guess his style will be more street trendy everyday fashion and with a hip hop inflence.

Sometimes I wish I could sew. >_<

Wow...O_O I that was a longer answer then I though I would make.

12. My boys are modren day casual...that is, the human ones. Kyo is more gothic/rocker though. My elves, they have another style...a harder to find style.

13. *growls* double post

14. >< I still find it hard to design something for Ryu... I keep coming up with girls' clothes. T_T Would someone mind posting or PMing (if it's OT) a list of ideas for guys' clothing? Any time period and nationality welcome!

It's not really that the guys are boring, but they really are harder to come with ideas for IMO. I have sketch after sketch of dresses and cute little outfits that I'm planning on making and selling later on but when it comes to a guy, I get stuck...

15. You should try going to the library and searching for fashion books, doll books, and artbooks. You can also go to a used bookstore and get back issues of men's fashion magazines or old rock music magazines. Maybe travel magazines would have articles on festivals where people are wearing traditional costumes. There's lots of different places to look to get inspiration for designs. :daisy

16. No way!!! I'm sewing for my boy.

17. I don't see how having your own mini boytoy would be boring...XD

18. My boys usually wear normal style clothing. Problem is, they really like wearing those boring clothes very much... ^_^;;;;
      Sometimes I try to have them wear something sexier, but they always look somewhat odd in it, so I feel forced to give them their boring clothes back. Sigh!

19. My boys are never boring, I am always thinking what new clothes I should get them :D