1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Are boy dolls really less of a challenge? More boring? XD

Jan 22, 2006

1. It's funny because I never thought that boy dolls were limited in their clothing. I usualy find things for boys over girls all the time and usually MSD boys over SD or SD-13. Now I will say that it seems that things for larger boys (Hound, Beshonnen House) are very limited. However I think that's due to the newness of the size.

I know that there are probably a lot of people who disagree with me. However I would say go take a look at clothes on Luts and see the difference in how much they have for boys vs. girls. Also there are several clothing sites that cater only to boy stuff.

So I guess in answer to the thread I don't think boys are limited at all. Now I don't have any yet, but i'm sure that will change and who knows, when I get my first boy I might retract my view. Till then...

Christal

2. The boy bjds are boring???? Whoa, as a buyer of clothing, I find MUCH more variety in things that I like for the boys over the girls - just check the stock at Luts and Iplehouse to see what I mean - fitted classic stuff, jeans casual, cos play, ethnic and leather/goth wear, and even fantasy kids wear. I kind of despair over the selection for the females - almost all little girl wear or goth/lolita with 'maid' outfits and dresses that stop at the knee - not too much real type clothing past the age of 12 except for at Rainman's site, and try to find a commercially made formal gown!
      As for making the clothing, my friend who use to sew for a living said that fitted suits for the boys are much harder to make than dresses - you have to have the right dimensions or it doesnt work.
      Boys, the boring ones???? Even Hound has many possiblilites these days, it just takes looking....Alex

3. To be honest, I did think that boys' clothing was boring compared to girls'. But this was before I owned any dolls at all. Once I started buying dolls and planning how to dress them, I began coming up with ideas for boys' clothing, too. I just bought my first boy doll and I'm planning clothes for him.

One thing that makes boys' clothing more interesting is that my dolls aren't limited to one particular period when it comes to their clothes. (I think they may own a time machine.) So Adeon will have an Egyptian kilt, a Greek chiton, medieval tunics and cloaks, and anything else I feel like making. Possibly even a suit, if I'm feeling ambitious.

4. I can make girls clothing better than guys for some reason. My poor vassily has very little clothing. ;_; While Pipo on the other hand.. Has LOTS~ ;_;

5. I think that you if you truely love a doll then its easy to take pictures of it and play with it.

6. i dont think boys are limiting. I have a boy doll and plan to have MORE boy dolls simply because im a girl myself. so i get tired of looking at girl stuff. every. single. day. of my life @_@;;;;

the other reason i dont find boys boring is because i dress him in what appeals to ME and what i find sexy in a boy (well i will anyway..once my mini fee is all finished and ready for showing)

so i get to look at that every day instead of the same old stuff i see guys around me wearing all the time.

7. actually i think that boy dolls are more fun to dress than girls! ^_^ Its more different with boy dolls than actual boy people. because think of it this way, If you are watching the golden globes or something and you see these famous actors on the red carpet all the guys are just wearing Tux's and then these girls are wearing magnificant dresses and gowns! also, In real life girls can basically wear whatever they want they can wear pants, skirts, shorts, anything! but boys usually are limited to pants and shorts! (well maybe unless they are drag queens or something) but anyway, Boy dolls can wear skirts and dresses if they want to and nobody would have a problem with it! SO I THINK BOYS CAN WEAR WHATVER THEY WANT! ^_^

8. The only challenge I find with my boys (6 of them) is not having enough money to buy them everything I want to get them.

They all have different styles ranging from grunge, to only wearing b& w (preferably with skulls), 'normal' and gothy-girly-punk boy (and if it has spiders or spiderwebs - so much the better).

Boys are only limiting if you think in terms of the Walmart boy's dept. If you let your imagination go, there's no limit at all.

9. All my dolls and planned dolls are boys, but it has a lot to do with me, and what I'm comfortable with. I get along well with more masculine girls, and have a lot of male friends. In general, I relate better with guys. So having all boys is more fun for me. As far as wardrobe goes, Shoujiki is perfectly happy to wear girls clothes (although he specified that NOTHING PINK), as long as it looks good on him.

Which isn't to say I don't LIKE girl dolls; I lust after Elfdoll Soah rather desperately, and once the current doll theme is complete, I want her. I think she's gorgeous!

10. Since I don't have a girl, I can't really say from experience which is less boring, but I find my boys to be fun o_o
      I don't think it's very hard to find things for the boys (well, except for Daejin. I really only like Sadol clothing for him, and he only wears black and white. x: ). Jinsung dresses quite girly anyway, so he has a lot of girl clothes as well as boy clothes. XD
      As for sewing, girl clothes are by far easier. XDD I have yet to successfully make a pair of pants.

My future dolls only includes one girl (for sure). I'm not sure why this is.

11. I hadn't noticed that boy clothing was more limited XD; Then again, one frilly dress looks the same to me as all the others... :'D

12. Yeah, I'd have to agree with that. I tend to find girls' clothing to be really boring most of the time. But then, I don't really have any of those 'plain t-shirts and pants' kind of boy clothes...

13. Boys--

Maybe MORE of a challenge, since to find cool clothes may be slightly harder. I have lots of boys and still have more girl clothes since they are more prevalent.

Definitely not more boring!!! I LOVE boy dolls. They can have amazing outfits--as amazing as the girls. They can have lots of wig styles. And same choices of cool eyes. To me they are as fun, if not more fun (depending on what a person likes!) as the girls. Actually, there are some outfits out there for boys that seem way cooler than the girl outfits! I guess it depends on the look of your kids. I just love dressing my boys! :)

14. ehehe, I'm totally going against the grain by saying that I think most boys clothes (for MY doll, his character, of course) is a bit dull ^^; I'm really excited to get my girl doll so that I can dress her up. But female fashion's always interested me more.

15. My boys are hardly boring & are no less demanding than my girls when it comes to clothes. I'm currently on an elegant Goth binge with the boys' fashions & if I do say so myself, they're looking good. It's a challenge to find the outfits however & they're often more expensive than girl's clothes. I also have a bit of everday type clothing for my boys which I've found easy & relatively inexpensive to get from overseas sellers on Ebay.

My problem is drafting interesting patterns for the boys. While the basic patterns are simpler, no darts needed, I have a difficult time with collars & suits. So it looks like my boys will be getting lots of Mandarin jackets & poet shirts. Pants are very simple & can be made elaborate just by adding details.

16. I don't think boys are boring. I can go any direction I want in term of clothes.
      I think that sometimes "curves" can get in the way :lol:

17. This is why I always own a boy doll that will dress like a girl ^.^

Seriously, I really like boys dolls beacause I like the way guys can dress. So no, not boring. Never owned a girl doll, so I wouldn't know if it's less of a challenge..

18. Wu is a challenge to dress simply because what I can buy is so limiting. I meet that challenge head on and enjoy it immensely. It's not the least bit boring.

19. I think this is a reason that boys are more of a challenge - you have to think a bit harder when making clothes for them and try to came outside these limited wardrobes, use your own fantasy.. ^^ There are already so many things for girls out there so I feel I don't make anything original while sewing girlclothes.. .-.

20. Im a guy with two male dolls and a girl doll, but I have more fun dressing the male ones because I like to find them and make them the right outfits, based usually on my own dress sense which is not at all boring!
      I understand what you mean, the majority of boy clothing is boring (in the real and doll world) but you just have to use your imagination, abit of creativity and have a very interesting character. Sometimes it takes a bit of exploring. :)