1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Are "Fantasy" dolls more attractive to you?

Jun 2, 2009

1. I only find fantasy dolls attractive if I think they'll fit a character I've created [well, I should say... I do find them nice to look at and all that, but for personally owning - unless that particular doll would suit a character I have or am creating, I wouldn't buy it]

Take the MDs from Soom, the entire time they'd been releasing them, not one suited any character I had and I had no interest in owning them. That is up until Heliot was released. His head was perfect for a character I'd been creating [or so I'd thought, I found that the Amber ended up suiting that character better later] while the rest of him was not. I had no interest in his horn part or hooves and while I do think they are pretty in the way the Beryl and Sard's hooves are pretty, the character I was creating had no use for them at all because the rest of him is 'normal'.

So, as much as I like to look at fantasy type dolls and as pretty as alot of them can be, unless they'd fit a specific character of mine, I wouldn't buy them. That also applies to regular styled dolls. I basically go for features that suit what I need over the general pretty of whatever mold is coming out ^^

2. I like both, with no real preference for 'fantasy' over 'human' or vice-versa. What doll I want depends entirely on what character I want to make from it. Some of my characters are human, others aren't. For me it's as simple as that. For dolls that don't fit any of my characters, it's the same. There are some 'fantasy' dolls that I'm totally in love with, and some 'human' dolls that I'm totally in love with. All in all, I like either or, and include the anthro dolls and anything else that's not strictly 'human' in the 'fantasy' heading for the sake of this discussion.

3. Ohh, "dragonling", anyway I can see a picture of that, or from the store it came from? I've even wound up buying game dragons because I thought they were cool.

4. I am a firm lover of elf ears. Wish I had them! That being said, the face really is what does it for me, becaue ears can always be added later. Sooms MDs are stunning, and if not for the large pricetag (mainly secondhand or hooved) I would buy more. But sometimes I vascillate between wanting to take a "normal doll" and fantasy-pimp it out and just wanting to buy the beautiful expensive ones already done.I think more companies need to make more fantasy clothing and shoes though!

5. I would have never thought I would be interested in fantasy dolls, but the artistry behind bjds has expanded my boundaries. I dippped my toe with the elf dolls and now have become completely taken with the SOOM monthlies. I am still not into the anthro dolls, but I enjoy both human and the human hybrid/fantasy type dolls.

6. I have a thing for Supernatural or Fantastical dolls, but only because most of my characters are elves. I only have a select few characters that aren't. Usually, a doll has to be a character of mine, or else I won't have a reason to keep him and he won't stay for very long. My most favorite mold is Elf Chiwoo. I have three. But I have regular Chiwoo too. But, my regular Chiwoo is a synthetic angel, so still somewhat Science Fiction-y.

My last Elf Chiwoo that I bought is technically "normal", but also not normal. I love him. I'd have to say that I do find elf-ed dolls more appealing than normal dolls, because even my normal dolls or the dolls that used to be normal people have been modded into elves.

7. Seeing as there have been many companies making at least dolls with elf ears and vampire dolls, I don't think it's something that will ever completely fade which is definitely a good thing. I do see a lot of similarities between the growth in popularity to elaborate fantasy dolls, ones with truly dynamic details, to the sudden boom in tinies or anthro dolls. The popularity and sudden newness may fade but there will always be people happy to have their tastes catered too.

I figure the more companies create new styles of dolls the greater variety of people that are attracted to them will enter the hobby. Companies will then have to figure out what works for them and where their focus will lie in the future. It is interesting though to see how the hobby develops and shifts over time in all sorts of respects.

8. I'm not particularly interested in a 'fantasy' sculpted doll. Yes, the Euclaises and the Heliots and such are lovely, yes the vampires and sprites and elves are cute (or mind boggling if the ears are so long they interfere with the wig). But to me the fantasy is in the character and how you bring it to life with a very BASIC doll. Perhaps it is like my Liina, requiring a full blushing of an unusual colour and a drastically coloured face up for it's race. Perhaps it looks normal, with the soul of a demon residing int he shell. who knows, maybe it will just be a pair of strangely coloured eyes.

But the fantasy sculpts just don't draw me in, because then the character is too settled before I get them. I like that I have found just a normal doll and have made it LOOK like it is the character it should be, be it an ice elemental who looks permanently frozen, or a queeny little fallen angel.

9. You had me at "Elf Ear" :D

10. not really ^^;
      despite the fact that my first girl on the way is a vampire with elf ears .__.
      i just love her face, i may have her ears/fangs modded off sometime in the future.

11. It completely depends on the character I'm trying to create. That being said, I think there's attractive molds on both sides. Soom's Heliot looks sexy with and without his horn and hooves.

I also think it's important. While you may not be into fantasy-based dolls I think it adds some important diversity.

12. I think they are gorgeous. REALLY gorgeous, but I prefer human dolls.

13. :lol: That's hilarious.

14. The only ones I don't like for fantasy dolls are "Vampire styled ones". I'm just not a fan of the stereotyped fangs hanging out most of the time.
      I love all kinds of fantasy dolls, and normal doll, but I like to buy ones that really catch my fancy, it wasn't just the hooves that made me want to get Heliot MD from Soom. But what I can create him into.

But I do have a soft spot now it seems for the anthro dolls. I now want a few.

15. I like fantasy-themed outfits more than normal clothes, but as to the doll itself, I have no preference. I can find them attractive regardless of fangs, eartype, etc. I've liked all kinds of varieties.

16. Absolutely.

I've been in love with fantasy styled creatures long before I came into the BJD hobby, and it was just another perk to see dolls already sculpted (or if not to learn how easy and normal it is to customize them) with the types of things I love. Little more than half my current (and future) dolls will have what are seen as stereotypical fantasy elements such as elf ears and vampire fangs even though none of my dolls are actually those creatures. I loved those traits but not the actual mythical creatures so I created a species of my own, along with one boy who even has hooves and horns, LONG before Soom came out with their first hooved doll.

This hobby has spurred in me a love for creatures with wings however and that has certainly grown almost as a trend among my dolls too, but there are still other things, like a robotic doll I've got hopes for in the future that I've just simply always had an interest in. But, what's important to me is that even though none of my dolls are or are any longer Human, that they still retain humanlike qualities in their personalities, since that is what ultimately makes them relatable in some form and causes me to be so attached to them like I am.

17. I love both human and fantasy type, I jut find that fantasy suits me much better.
      My mom used to read Narnia for me when I was little, then I really got interested in russian and irish tales. Almost all my favorite books (I LOVE reading) are fantasy (sevenwaters, narnia, eragon, Elric....) and of course I'm creating my own fantasy world for my future dolls (I don't have any yet).
      I love elf ears, horns, hooves. I'm not into vampires much (even thought I did read Bram Stoker's Dracula and I loved it), and even If I really love some human dolls that have a very "now" style, I don't think it suits me.
      Of courseI'm planning getting "human" dolls too, but they will fit into my fantasy storyline ^^
      I hope Soom can come up with a MD that I really love and have the money to buy it (Heliot T_T....)
      Well, we'll see ^^

18. I admire the big fantasy creatures, but prefer human dolls for the most part. I have a couple of Notdoll vampires and a few tiny elves, but other than that, my big dolls are human. I'm not saying that I would never buy a big fantasy doll, but so far, I have been able to resist.

19. I've found that, over time, while my love of fantasy and all things related to it grows more and more each year, I find more enjoyment in finding wonder in the everyday. The elves are beautiful, but to me they limit what I can really do with them as a character and as a doll. As others have said, I can always add elf ears later, and I'd prefer them to be removable if at all possible, so that my doll suddenly has more options open to her, without closing any doors behind her.

So, I guess...All of the above is a yes?

20. No,, they're not really for me. But that makes sense as I'm not really the fantasy type.