1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Are "Fantasy" dolls more attractive to you?

Jun 2, 2009

1. I have to agree with Taco's response on this one... the mythos of vampires, elves, and other mythological beasties has just evolved over time. It's not really so much a "fad" as the way the stories have been re-interpreted and re-invented as time goes on. I can understand having a preference for the original representation of the myth, but I don't really think it's right to automatically disdain any other representation.

If people hadn't been re-thinking and re-writing older myths for centuries, we wouldn't have nearly as many great pieces of art and literature. What about the works by Bram Stoker or J.R.R. Tolkien? And even non-fantasy stories get re-invented from time to time, and that's resulted in a lot of great literature and artwork.

To be fair, it's also resulted in its fair share of bad literature too, but my opinion is that you have to take the good with the bad. I feel that if I don't like something, I don't have to read it.

2. I'm much more attracted to human dolls in my personal collection as all my characters are in a realistic setting. But, I do love fantasy dolls, I love looking at and meeting elves and fairies as well. If I had more doll budget I would have someone hooved or winged, as my YoSD is a little Alice girl with a wild imagination and it would make for some cute photos to have her fantasy doll "friends" around. I'm just sticking to my main characters for now. I'd love to sneak a vampire in but I don't quite consider them "fantasy" for some reason. I think they have a human element and do well in realistic settings.

But I must admit as I work at a veterinarian, I'm SO tempted by dolls with paws! :...(

3. I'm not much of a fantasy person, so unless I happened to create a fantasy character in the future, I will continue to have human-looking dolls. Some of the fantasy creature dolls are very cool, but I wouldn't want to own one.

4. It really depends on the sculpt or character for me. I personally prefer the fantasy ones to be more subtle or someone 'realistic' looking (as much as pointy ears or hooves could look realistic - ie. I'd choose smaller, more Lord of the Rings elf ears over World of Warcraft -like long pointy elf ears), but it isn't a hard and fast rule for me.

5. With most of my costumes I fall in love with a fabric and then I create the costume to fit. I find dolls are the same way for me - I buy one because fall in love with a sculpt, not because I have a character or story in mind.

While my focus is mostly 18th Century I recently fell in love with the wonderfully spooky pointy eared DollnDoll Bella and I'm sure it will work for me somehow. ;)

6. I love human BJD's and fantasy BJD's, but I'm more drawn to fantasy dolls. My one-and-only BJD, Eitka, has pointed ears though I could've chosen a human head for her. :) I hopelessly drool over SOOM's monthly fantasy dolls and want every one of them.

Even if I had enough money to purchase them, I couldn't: I don't find myself advanced enough in the BJD world to be able to take my doll apart and string on a new pair of legs! O.O I was scared enough of putting Eitka's wig on her! I also don't have the time, skill or funds to personalize my own BJD, and so fantasy dolling is difficult to cope with much as I love it. And I do love a good pair of fangs, too!

Even my favorite human BJD's have strangely colored hair, brightly-colored eyes, and costume-esque clothing: To me these dolls are an escape from reality and an entrance to a whole other world where I can make all the rules; if I put my doll in jeans, sneakers, and a sports tee-shirt I'd lose the dress-up factor that is so appealing to me with BJD's. (Not that there is anything wrong with dressing your doll in jeans, sneakers, and a tee shirt by any means XD).

7. I love the fantasy style dolls, it's why I've been trying to buy horns and hooves and other body parts like crazy. Don't get me wrong, I love human dolls but there's just something about a great doll mold with horns or hooves.

8. yes I like the design!like soom!
      But to some extende...It limited my doll's style
      because first impression is soooooo strong

9. I definitely prefer fantasy stuff, though I prefer smaller elf ears to the larger ones. I see enough humans every day as it is, when I have a choice of who I want to create, it's not going to be an average everyday human.

10. I tend towards more human like dolls, but there's some fantasy dolls out there are just so different and beautiful. For example, Soom's monthly dolls that deviate from elves and vampires, like Euclase and Sard/Beryl.

11. I just had the opportunity to acquire one of the Bobobie 40ish cm dolls and I picked Lu. I LOVE that she has ears that make her look like a mermaid. Even though she has a human head available it didn't even occur to me to choose it instead. I'm SOOO looking forward to figuring out what kind of makeup a mermaid has - as I don't like their basic faceup.

12. I'm a terrible realist. I prefer the most realistic sculpts available and I guess that's why I prefer humans to elves or mermaids, centaurs, etc. The ones I have seen can be incredibly beautiful-- I can see why people are attracted to their otherworldly beauty, but they're just not my thing. The exception is Limhwa half-elf-- she has the most amazing face I've ever seen. I will be buying her eventually, half elf ears and all. But I will probably dress her in human clothing!

13. I love fantasy dolls. I think that they are beautiful. I love wings, horns, hooves, ears... the whole nine yards. Will I ever get one?

Probably not.

They're beautiful... but I don't have fantasy characters. Well, not physically fantasy at any rate. ^_^()

14. For me, most fantasy dolls really turn me off. I just think they're very corny- I prefer the more "real" dolls, I think they look way better.

I don't know if this counts as fantasy, but I like the ellaborate costumes some dolls have, like the ones Soom photographs on their larger dolls.

15. Elves, elves, elves! I love to find dolls that appeal to me with elf ears. As for the rest, I don't care about hooves, wings or fangs. In fact, they're a bit of a turn-off but give me elf ears anytime.

16. No, I'm not a fantasy/elf/vamp doll person at all ;) I know a lot of people like them or are fascinated by them, but it is strange how little they interst me compared to how extremely interested I really am in the doll hobby. Oh well, each of us have our own taste :aheartbea

17. I love "human" dolls, but I probably prefer the elves, vampires, fairies, ghosts and assorted other fantasy types. I love the beauty and sometimes silliness of the sculpts. I have to admit an affinity for campiness, for instance the Jokey Cheshire Pipos sculpt. Lately I love the crazy Bobobie vampire mermaid girl. She is just so silly and sweet. I don't really have any serious pouty emo characters. I have real teenagers for that.

18. :lol::...( :fangirl: :lol: :lol:

I may be 54 but I remember being 15 and I WAS one of those emo types. No fun. Still I find your comment hilarious. :)

19. i love love love elf dolls and dolls that are based on Japanese culture

20. I actually used to prefer fantasy dolls...the Soom Sard was something I just HAD to get...but my first bjd was an Abadon, who doesn't like taller dolls (so that ruled out the Soom), and for some reason, now I'm completely in love with only dolls that look as realistic as possible. XD Especially the ones that look naturally korean/japanese/etc. Go figure.