1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

are unique clothes important to you?

Sep 16, 2011

1. BJD clothes are very important to me to the point that I make all my dolls' clothes,
      despite the fact that I can't sew to save my life! I’m vegan as well, so that’s another
      crucial reason why I never buy doll clothes (for these types of dolls) because the
      materials commonly used tend to be way out of my comfort zone. Which is also a reason
      why I prefer not to try commissioning anyone as well, as I know I’m in the minority and
      don’t want to offend or step on anyone’s egos.

A lot of the types of clothes available for BJD also tend to have a similar aesthetic,
      one that doesn’t actually fit any of my doll’s styles. So, even if I wanted to buy
      already made clothing I doubt I would find anything close to the bizarreness that I need. XD

- Enzyme

2. I tend not to buy "average" clothes for my doll, unless its really marked down. The outfits I do buy are more... unique in style, but also good quality. I don't want any staining or the outfit to fall apart the moment I put it on my doll!

I don't care much about how rare or limited an item is. ^^ If someone else has the same outfit as me, then great, we have similar tastes and can share recommendations of sites.

3. It does not brother me if someone has the same outfit as my doll and I would not chose an outfit because no one has it either but expressing unique style that I favor is very important to me. In the sense, I love to express certain fashions on myself and my bjd that is not commonly done. That is why I am drawn to bjds that express the unique style I like. I love finding outfits that suit my and Sha's taste. Also in finding that style of fashion, I like to find a few alternate style that are still not to far from my bjd's main style. My sha has a style that suits him and if it is not his style and colors he prefers then he will not have it. He can be very picky and I feel the exact same way. There are a few outfits I wanted to put on Sha but they would not work for him and he will give me a look to provide it. I find it so fun to search for the unique outfits or find unique parts to complete the perfect outfit for my bjd is what makes this hobby so grand. So, uniqueness to me is very important but not when it is only meant for negativity purposes.:)

4. I'm going to echo earlier sentiments and say that it really doesn't matter to me whether or not the outfit is completely 'unique' or not. Hell, my Feilian is still in her fullset outfit and has been pretty much from day 1! It suits her, it's a nice outfit, and it's what she's going to probably be wearing forever, unless I find something even better (which I kinda doubt). Amser's outfit was both semi-limited and expensive, but it doesn't make it any better or any worse than Noire's. I prefer to think in terms of character rather than uniqueness--and if uniqueness is what will make the character, then uniqueness I will go to! If not--then that's them, and that's what they're going to get ;)

5. this is off topic (what i'm going to write next, not what you said) but that comment just struck me funny. did you know that most pictures in fashion magazines are the same? they put models in clothes that are close in size, then put big clips/pins in all over the back to get the proper fit?

anyway i find it interesting that so many people take pieces of outfits and then recombine them to make it "theirs" i've often wished more pieces were sold as separates instead of full outfits. i like my dolls to look different from everyone else, even if it's just how i combine the pieces. kind of like how i dress but they have the age/figure to carry off what i can't :lol;

6. I don't worry whether or not the clothes are unique. I am concerned that they suit the character of the doll I'm buying them for, and that they have a decent level of detail and quality. I also like outfits with parts that can be mixed and matched which makes for unique outfits even if the individual pieces are not uncommon.

7. The uniqueness of individual pieces is not as important to me as is mixing them up to reflect the unique style of the individual doll. I don't want my girls to appear as if they were Xeroxed from a look book.

8. I got into BJD's because I love sewing and knitting doll clothes and let's be honest Ken and Barbie are not nearly as fun to play with. I've only considered buying a full set on two dolls and only because they had wonderful clothes I'd never be able to make myself. Now this doesn't mean the clothes I sew will be super unique. I'm just as happy stiching up Tees and jeans as I am high fantasy gear. It's all about style

9. For me its a difficult questions, because sometimes I don't care at all about how many dolls wear tha same clothes, but in some cases than I like the outfit much I din't like than somebory buy the same. Anyway if I buy the same outfit I think twice about the purchase or at least try to change the colour

10. Besides the clothes I sew, all of my dolls' clothes are store bought, and that's OK with me. I did see one instance where someone had the same two pieces together, but that didn't bother me. I think someone's bound to think the same way I do, and pair certain things together because they think it looks good.

I like unique items, but I have limits: I have to genuinely like the item, and it has to fit one of my dolls (in terms of character). For example, I may like a very dark-looking outfit that fits MSDs, but my MSD's character doesn't wear generally dark clothes, so I wouldn't buy it.

Generally, I prefer items that look realistic to some degree, and don't have the "doll clothes" look or even a generally 'fake' look, such as with foods.

11. I really don't care about my doll clothes being unique or limited. As long as they are right for the characters I buy them for, it's absolutely fine.
      There's situations where custom clothing is my only option though, because I just can't find the right outfit pre-made. It's also a fun motivation to improve my sewing skills, but that's all.

12. I don't care for how unique an outfit is. The quality is much more important when deciding, if I should buy something. I like the idea of custom made clothes, but not for unique factor, but more because I would be able to get whatever I wanted.

13. All the clothes Näri has are unique, because I didn't buy her anything; they're all made by me.
      I wouldn't mind if other dolls had the same things though; I'd really love to buy ready-made stuff if I had the money. =u=; After all, human clothes aren't unique either. I've had 11-year-old boys wearing the same stuff as me walk past me in the street. The clothes I could buy online are better quality too.

14. I love to be unique, thats why I want to make my own designs. (Knowing most designs aren't original anymore) its still my own design.

Being unique is just so much more fun than being like everyone else. xD

15. I don't worry much about it but I do like my doll having unique clothes. I don't have him yet but I plan to sew most of his clothes for him and because I've designed clothes for this character before I even thought about getting the doll, I have lots of plans for him. xD

16. I like clothes to speak for the character. If that means I have to commission someone, because what I'm looking for isn't for sale, then so be it. But I don't mind having pieces that other people have, as long as I mix and match it into something new and in-character.

17. I look at BJD clothing like I look at my own clothing. I don't go to a store and say, "I am buying that whole outfit on the mannequin as is!" I buy a shirt here, a sweater there, pants... well you get the picture. I buy what fits my body and style. So the same with BJDs, most of the clothing is mass produced so you will run into other BJD owners with the same stock. It is what you do with those pieces and what you add to your doll that makes it unique. That is the whole basis for BJDs in general. There must be at least a thousand MNF ShuShu's out there but each one is unique.

I have to add that I will end up making most of the stuff for my Feeple so she will be in a lot of unique clothing. So having a unique outfit isn't that important to me but it will happen anyways. However I do not plan on making anything for my LittleFee so she is getting a bunch of mass produced stuff. So yeah... I am a mix boat on that topic.

18. Well, if a doll has specific clothes to fit it's character, I'll get those clothes commissioned, otherwise I don't really care whether everyone has the same outfit my doll has.

It's important to me that the doll's clothing is right for that doll, though. I spent months hunting down the right white coat for Cain, and I still haven't found the right shoes for Lief. I'm also going to commission someone to make Elphaba (fan doll) her Defying Gravity outfit, because that is amazingly important to me, and it's such a key outfit for her character.

19. If I like it, and think it'll work, I'm probably going to buy it for my doll. I don't stop to think about how unique something is and take that into account before a purchase. If I like it for her and it's one of a kind, great, but that's not my deciding factor.

20. I wouldn't have dolls if it weren't for my own plans to sew for them. Friends got me hooked so I would sew for them, and it's been a battle to keep everyone dressed since! It gets worse when someone sees a doll outfit I've made and wants the same outfit made for them. >.<;;. Halloween...geh! But I normally just look for the right basics online; shoes, wigs, eyes. Everything else my dolls have is either something I made, or a piece of clothing passed along because 'off the rack' didn't fit the doll they have. I found out that it's better to buy a wig a size or two up and fit it to the doll by resewing it, than trust a wig to fit properly on it's own. If I couldn't sew, I'd have to know someone who could to own dolls. To me the real fun of BJDs is not only being able to have them look the way I want them to, but to dress them in exactly what I want them to wear. ^_^