1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Are Volks Boys Worth the Higher Price?

Jul 30, 2008

1. Just a note on the tax issue -- you only have to pay tax on FCS at the LA Sumika if you're a California resident. If you're having the doll shipped out of California, then you don't have to pay the 8.25% sales tax. ;)

Also, the person selling Eden on eBay is a Japanese re-seller who got the doll at the Dolpa in Japan. The order of who gets Volks limiteds goes something like this:
      1. Dolpa attendees -- get to buy the dolls on the day of the actual Dolpa (in the case of Osaka 5, that was a few days ago on August 3)
      2. After Event buyers -- both Japanese and international customers can purchase Dolpa "leftovers," so to speak, about two weeks after the Dolpa
      3. VolksUSA -- the lottery actually occurs the same time as Dolpa, but the VolksUSA's allotment of dolls is shipped freight from Japan to LA, so it takes a couple of months for US buyers to get their dolls

Hope that helps a bit. ^^

2. Thank you so much Tsukishiro! That sure clears it up for me. I did not know how the lotteries worked. And that is great info about the tax! Montana does not have a sales tax so that is just terrific!

3. good luck getting your Eden! They really are worth it^^

4. I posted on the other thread as well but I just found out that I am able to buy Eden! I sure am happy. Once again, thank you all for the input. I ordered him sanded so he will not be here until November.

5. I think it's more of a belief that they can charge so much because nobody else has what they do.

6. On top of what has already been mentioned, you get something few other doll companies are able to offer: a physical store with native employees who run a blog and are able to provide customer service through a US based website. Volks really knows how to sell a the doll as a total package. They are very much geared to collector and brand fans, whom they love to reward for their patronage. When I received my FCS, it came with a cleaning sponge and wig spray, instructions on how the doll is made and cared for, and I could have sent the head back for a faceup re-do if it was not done right. It's a much more personalized service. There's a membership card. There are chances to enter lotteries and attend tea parties. To some it means a lot, others don't care.

You can see people are willing to swear by the brand because not only is it high quality, but it's consistent. I don't think Volks really charges more because of brand name, but even if they did, at least you're not one of those people in a Luts thread wondering what kind of resin batch their order is going to come from, right?

I'm more of a piece-meal person, putting dolls together slowly, so the idea of a limited with a pre-set wig and faceup and outfit figured into the price doesn't really get me most of the time. But I do recognize the high quality of everything included.

7. I want to thank everyone once again for their input. Since I put out this thread, I purchased a Yo-SD Tinatsu, who I just love! She is a hoot to play with and so well made. She made me try for Eden on the Volks lottery, which I won. He will not be here until November.

So then I took the chance to see if I could get a Cristal to go with my Eden. I found one on Japan Yahoo and had Feipei Chen from Ebay's "proshoppingjp" buy one for me. She had sold hers out already. Cristal came today and I just LOVE her! I am quite impressed with the quality. I do have to sand her, spray her and do her blushing, but I do that with my dolls anyway.

I am a definite Volks fan now. I can hardly wait for the Volks Web party in November. Yikes, I have only a few weeks to save up my dolly dollars!

Yes, Volks are well worth the money!