1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Are we spoiled brats?

Jun 12, 2011

1. Do you feel you are spoiling yourself by buying these dolls?
      Sure, a bit. But I balance it by putting obligations first and not having any other expensive habits or hobbies.

If you work hard for them...which I'm sure many of you have, do you still think it is a 'spoiled' thing to do because you don't consider what else you could use the money on?
      The dollies are the last thing in the budget to get funded, so I don't feel bad about putting money towards them once bills, college, charity and vacation funds are taken care of.

For people/children who's parents have bought all of your dolls, do you consider yourself spoiled?
      I did get a doll for my birthday from my husband and daughter, so I felt pretty spoiled, even though Kai was second-hand and got paid for by the dolly fund. My husband and I did buy a brand-new B&G Sunny for our daughter last year, but she worked from September to June to get the straight A's she needed to "earn" him. Even though she's a little girl, we felt that $400 for 9 months of hard work wasn't too much to pay. She earned $67 for each marking period that she got all A's and it truly inspired her to give her schoolwork her best effort.

If you are from a wealthy nation, do you feel any guilt about owning a doll that costs hundreds of hundreds of dollars, when many people in the world live off a dollar a day?

Our charitable giving comes before the doll fund, so I don't feel too bad about it. I could get rid of my dolls to give more to charity, Heck I could get rid of my dishwasher, car, etc. but that's not going to solve a global crisis. Mostly I just feel very, very lucky to have the things I have and to help others where I can.

Lastly, Does anyone admit they are spoiled rotten? XD
      I'm spoiled, but I don't think I'm spoiled rotten. I don't think I *deserve* anything, or put selfish needs before practical ones.

2. Before starting, I will dare anyone who knows my daily life to come to me and tell me I am a spoiled brat. I will put some gris gris on them ;)

Do you feel you are spoiling yourself by buying these dolls?

Nope. I work very very hard in my life. Not the easiest chores and jobs either. If I do not have hobby and leisure time I will turn to something unhealthy like poisons, to unwind.
      So, I spend some money on my hobby. I gave up violin lessons and some other hobbies to compensate and stay within my "leisure budget" for this "new" hobby. I also do not eat out nor go to movies etc.

If you work hard for them...which I'm sure many of your have, do you still think it is a 'spoiled' thing to do because you don't consider what else you could use the money on?
      Nope. I do not care for any other luxuries and shop second hand and have a car that runs :D
      And I have no debts. And a savings.

For people/children who's parents have bought all of your dolls, do you consider yourself spoiled?
      Not for me to judge. People spoil other people in many different ways, dolls or time or car or diamonds-wise.

If you are from a wealthy nation, do you feel any guilt about owning a doll that costs hundreds of hundreds of dollars, when many people in the world live off a dollar a day?
      I do, but I do that about buying a new washing machine even. And never could justify for myself buying a lexus car over a little hyundai, even if I rolled in dough. I donate to a good amount of charities and volunteer as well. If I don't I feel guilty quickly *_*

If you are from a poor/non-wealthy nation, and you own a doll...what is your opinion on the matter?
      -
      See my opening statement.
      In other words: HECK NO! I wish.

3. Short answer: not really.
      Long answer: I pay for my dolls and to be able to pay them, I don't buy anything for myself. It's not like on top of buying BJDs I also had The latest iPhone and a mighty fancy laptop and a complete wardrobe. I have the iPhone 3 that my Mom gave me (yes, still fancy. But that was originally my mom spoiling herself xD) when she got the 4 (my previous cellphone was also her old one. It was already 1-2 years old when I got it and I kept it for another 1-2 year). My laptop is almost 10 years old and I have 3 shirts in my wardrobe. Moral of the story: I focus my money on things I love and disregard the rest (for as long as I can)

Though this year as birthday and christmas gifts, my parents paid a payment on each of my soom layaway (2). At this moment I felt like the most spoiled kid on earth :D. But All the Times before and the Time After were/Will be "I pay for All my personnal stuff AKA dolls"

Obviously, when I Will have bills to pay, the dolls Will come Last (and maybe not at All since I want to keep my collection relatively small)

4. I try to convince myself that I have earned them but I do feel spoiled at times.

5. Do you feel you are spoiling yourself by buying these dolls?
      Some people like videogames, some like books.. I like dolls. It's a hobby like every other.
      I think "spoiling" is the wrong word. I worked hard to get this money and to buy myself a doll or two, nothing wrong about that.

If you work hard for them...which I'm sure many of your have, do you still think it is a 'spoiled' thing to do because you don't consider what else you could use the money on?
      Nope. I pay my rent, I pay my food (I live with my boyfriend and we split the costs) and I pay everything we need to live here. If I have money left I can spend them on the hobby (like he spends money on his hobbys).
      If I need or want something else I just save up for that instead.

I bought my dolls myself, but Im going to share my mind anyway. If you got a doll or two for your birthday thats just a present like any other I guess. However I would never get a present that expensive.. EVER.
      If you just milk your parents for money because you can, I think it's a spoiled thing to do.

I think it's really sad, however me owning a doll does not make things better or worse for poor people all over the world. There are plenty causes you can donate money too.

Sometimes I feel spoiled, mostly when I was a kid though. I dont think it's spoiled to pay your own rent and food an live on a reallt low income every month. I don't think Im spoiled for manageing to save up for a doll. But if someone gave me one I would feel spoiled (I don't think this will happen though).

6. For me being spoiled means having your mommy or daddy buying you all the dolls and you making no effort at all to get what you want because others are already giving it to you.

There's nothing wrong with gifts but if you have 10 dolls and all of them were bought by someone else then yes, I would consider that being spoiled.

If you got those expensive things with your own money and can afford it...I don't think we're spoiled brats because of that :P I used to be very VERY guilty for spending so much money on my dolls and I thought I was being selfish so I asked my brother advice and he told me that it was my money and I could do whatever I wanted with it.

I felt so much better after that and now I think the same :] we are just working hard for something that makes us happy.

I want to answer the questions:

Do you feel you are spoiling yourself by buying these dolls?
      I think life is only one and you have to live it to the fullest. Happiness is relative so what makes you happy will not be happiness for others. If you feel happy by buying these dolls, go ahead. There's nothing wrong with 'spoiling" ourselves when we work hard to get that money.

What else I could use the money on? I don't have a cellphone (and I think I'm the only 23 year old girl in this world or at least US w/o a cellphone) just because I don't like it. I'm a very calm girl: work-college-home-and sometimes the movies. I like to read so I buy my books, I like to paint so I buy my water colors. I could be spending that money on jewelry, clothes, make up, new TV, Ipad or expensive travels but I'm not interested so I spend it on my dolls :) my point: it's your money, you can do whatever you want with it.

Only one doll was bought by mom and that's my first doll (he's extra special to me because of it) I was a high school student, no work, no money and I don't feel I was being spoiled because it was like a gift and she told me that the rest(eyes, wig, clothes etc) was in my hands now ^^;; so I got a few jobs just because of my intense desire to buy those things and a camera to photograph him. I was a babysitter for some time and then I was cleaning toilets and offices.....I think that's a good thing that my mom gave me a hand to start but I worked my butt off to continue with the hobby=o)

I come from an ...average(?) nation(not poor and not wealthy) , I never had these things when I was a kid. My mom got me toys and clothes but only on special occasions like Christmas or birthdays. Being an adult and being able to work gives me the liberty to get what I want and I don't feel bad....well I did feel bad in the beginning ~.~ but then I understood that I could do nothing for people living in the poorest parts of Africa and I also appreciate what I have and give thanks to God everyday for it. But to tell the truth, I want to learn how to do face ups and how to sew so I can stop spending huge amounts of money on just a face up or a shirt for my boys and that money I could save it and donate something to people/animals in need. :[ there is so much I want to do but little money...that's why my family and myself are priorities over anyone else.

If you are from a poor/non-wealthy nation, and you own a doll...what is your opinion on the matter?
      -see above
      I don't think I'm spoiled because I worked hard for them.

7. Do you feel you are spoiling yourself by buying these dolls?
      Not spoiling myself. I work hard at a job I don't really like as well as go to school so I can try to get a job I do like. I'm married, I don't have kids, I walk to work, I don't take trips and don't really have other hobbies. In the end buying a doll I can afford is just me enjoying my hard work and life.

Nope, cause this is what I want to use my extra money on.

My mom would never have been able to afford the dolls so I can't speak for myself. But If I had a kid and bought them a doll or Christmas or Birthday I don't think they should consider themselves spoiled. It'd be different if I bought a whole lot of them at once for them for no reason, But buying it as a reward for good behavior (like a points earned system) or as a gift for special occasion I don't think they should feel spoiled.

I don't really feel guilty about it. I'm thankful for everything I have because growing up I didn't have anything more than the most basic necessities. I realize that there are other people out their that are a lot worse off and I thank God everyday for the things I have. I think growing up the way I did I appreciate what I have.

-
      Lastly, Does anyone admit they are spoiled rotten?
      I don't think I'm spoiled. I feel I've worked hard to be able to buy the dolls I have.

8. apparently not good for no
      all my children have been bought with sweat and effort, my parents never gave me money for my dolls ever. I wanted something where I got the money from anywhere to buy everything I want
      yes, my dolls are expensive but also I have the right to have a hobby right? : D

9. I don't feel spoiled about it at all. As someone who IS a spoiled brat, I know the difference between spoiling yourself and working for what you love. Generally when one is spoiled, they usually get whatever the hell they want without earning it. I am definitely earning my first doll because I'm paying for her myself, and actually have to work to get enough money for her. I've never saved up so much money for anything before.

10. Do you feel you are spoiling yourself by buying these dolls?
      Not always, cus Im a person who saves a lot in my daily life. Dolls are actually becoming the main expense in my life. Well the total expanse is still small!
      N/A.
      This question really make me feel a little guilty or something. My only doll is a gift from my parents and im still a student without any income myself. I may be spoiled if you consider in this way...I wonder whether people will consider students who own a doll 'spoiled' or not. If you are from a wealthy nation, do you feel any guilt about owning a doll that costs hundreds of hundreds of dollars, when many people in the world live off a dollar a day?
      Yeah, but don't be toooo serious...think about the guys who owns heaps of LV.
      -
      Nope!!​

11. In one way I feel like I am spoiling myself by buying these dolls as I'm about to buy my first resin BJD and the thought of owning such an incredible doll after all the fun of researching which one to get makes me feel so lucky, that I feel like I am spoilt. But I am not spoilt in reality to get one, as I have saved up money to buy this doll and still paid my bills etc, so everything is kept in moderation.

When I think of people in less fortunate countries, I feel so lucky to live where I do, but I don't feel guilty because the purchase of a doll can sometimes benefit people from everywhere. The doll itself will benefit someone, earning them money, buying the shoes may benefit someone where income is lower, buying fabric locally to make clothes will benefit people in my neighborhood both the business and employees and so on. So anything we buy benefits someone else to make money and then for us to have something to enjoy very much.

12. Do you feel you are spoiling yourself by buying these dolls?
      Yes and no. I work hard to be able to buy the things I like. I only ever spend my money on dolls or doll related items. I barely ever buy anything for ME, just my dolls. I sometimes feel guilty about how much I've spent, but I get a lot of joy out of them so the guilt doesn't last too long :P

No. I mean, I know that I don't spend money on anything else so I really don't think I'm spoiled. I make minimum wage and am a student. I live on my own and have responsibilities. I take care of those responsibilities, and afterwards save all my money to get dolls. If I REALLY need to get something else, I do.

I once had my family/and boyfriend buy me a blythe doll for my birthday. I was really excited about it. That is the only time anyone has purchased a doll for me. Jonathan my boyfriend sometimes gives me money for presents so I can get dolls or doll clothes.

Yes and No. I do a lot to give back to other nations. When the tsunami in Japan happened I donated over $1,000. I am a captain of the nerdfighter group on kiva and give money through there, as well as many other charities. I hate that people are in poverty, but I also work hard and dolls make me happy so that is how I choose to spend my money.

Does not apply.

I feel spoiled sometimes when I get dolls, but I think that is just because I'm forking over huge sums of money and it freaks me out. I am super stingy in every other part of my life but when it comes to dolls my money is gone before I know it. :P