1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Are you a picky doll collector?

May 31, 2017

1. {shudder!} Yep, that kind of creepy and wrong.

Still, at least with the dolls it's only a case of the way they're styled. Redo the faceup and redress them an you have an oridinary toddler doll. Each to their own, an' all that.

Teddy

2. Yes and no. Why "Yes". Most of the dolls have big problems with anatomy. This problem is not even in machinery. Wonderful sculptors can't compete with Rodin. I like Soom but I don't like their razor-shaped noses (too thin). I like Iplehouse, but I don't like the way a sculptor sculpts foreheads and I don't like X-shaped legs.

Why I buy dolls? Will try to explain. I proceed from the principle that the entire world is imperfect and life is full of compromises. The doll has advantages and disadvantages. And it suits me.

3. I've come to realize that I'm an extremely picky BJD collector. :lol:

Do you consider yourself picky about dolls and doll-related things? Why? (for example, you have very strict standards, you have trouble finding a doll you really like, etc) Would you prefer to love every doll you came across?

I do! I didn't think I was, because I love looking at a large variety of dolls, but in my personal collection I'm extremely picky. They have to all work together (because they're characters from the same world) and I've got it in my head that their relative doll heights and builds need to match their character heights and builds. Add to this that I'm picky about resin texture and finish (needs to be a little toothy and matte), easily frustrated by poor posers, and picky about resin color, well, I have a heck of a time finding dolls that are keepers.

I wish I could love every doll I came across! Or be less strict on myself. I've sold a lot of dolls for not being "perfect" and it always sucks because I like them, they're just not for me.

Whether you are picky or not, do you think it's a flaw? Why?

I think it's a little annoying (I annoy myself regularly lol), but it's not a flaw. I think it's good thing to know what you want and not be willing to compromise.

If you are picky, how did you managed to have a big doll collection? If yours is small, do you wish you'd have more dolls, or are you happy with having few ones you really love?

My collection is relatively big. I'm fine with it as it is. Sometimes I wish I could collect dolls just for being pretty, but that's not really how I do things, unfortunately. However, when I find a doll that's perfect, it's an amazing feeling. Definitely worth all of the struggling.

Any advice for picky people?

Keep on keeping on? Haha. I think it's important to be true to yourself while also being open to new things. I know that even though I'm picky, sometimes being willing to take a leap of faith and try a doll or company that's not super popular has worked out wonderfully. There's a lot of hidden gems in the hobby.

4. Do you consider yourself picky about dolls and doll-related things? Why? (for example, you have very strict standards, you have trouble finding a doll you really like, etc) Would you prefer to love every doll you came across?

Yes? No? I mean, I wouldn't buy just any doll. But most dolls still have something that appeals to me. Whether or not I buy, depends on the dolls I already have and if I feel that certain spark. That doesn't happen very often. So I suppose that makes me picky.

No, I don't think it's a flaw. I'd like to think most people are a little picky.

If you are picky, how did you managed to have a big doll collection? If yours is small, do you wish you'd have more dolls, or are you happy with having few ones you really love?

There is a lot out there to choose from. I'm always thinking that I've bought my last doll and then something new appears and I have to decide all over again.

Keep on being picky! :)

5. I would consider myself picky when it comes to the dolls themselves and I'm very glad I am. I spent ages picking my first doll because I felt no other doll was good enough for me (not in a way that I felt the other dolls where bad but in a way that I felt that I would never be able to bond with them and they would be wasted on me). If I wasn't picky I would have 50 dolls (and no money) or would love too many to be able to decide who to get. I want to keep my collection small (under 10) so I have to be picky about who to get. BUT I'm not picky about makes or styles, it's just do I like the doll (do I love the doll, do I REALLY love the doll?). There are loads of dolls out there I like, but I won't allow myself to buy anything that I don't really love. I don't consider it a flaw, it's good for my bank account :lol: and with fewer dolls I can spoil them and bond with them.

2021 Edit:
      Oh good lord, I love reading old answers.
      I'm still on the picky side, especially with bodies - but less so. I'm extremely picky with my girl dolls but not so much with boys, who I have a lot of as a result.

#25 TheSecretRoman, Jun 1, 2017
      Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    6. Picky? No. Particular? Very.

From sculpt of choice to finishing touches, every aspect of a doll is exceedingly important in regards to the physical representations I'm trying to create. It's a time consuming process; one that leaves me rarely adding to the collection more than every year or two. Then again, this has never been a hobby for the impatient, anyway, and if there's one thing I can say about having such a relatively small selection of dolls (5 are still with me after over a decade and a half), it's that each one truly means something to me on a deep level.

7. Do you consider yourself picky about dolls and doll-related things? Why? (for example, you have very strict standards, you have trouble finding a doll you really like, etc) Would you prefer to love every doll you came across?
      Yes. While I love looking at dolls of all styles, I am drawn mainly to fantasy dolls with dreaming eyes and pointed ears. I am glad that I like only a certain aesthetic; wanting to bring home every doll would be torture! I only buy dolls I am in love with and would be sad if I didn't have them.

Wether you are picky or not, do you think it's a flaw? Why?
      No, I don't think that's a flaw. Most people have preferences, whether it be on size, style, aesthetic, posing, etc., so it's just a natural part of the selection process in my opinion.

I have a decent amount of dolls, however most of them are from Soom because they are my absolute favorite :) I do have a couple others that I just really liked the aesthetic of.

Buy what speaks to you! It's okay to find that you don't love a certain doll or aesthetic, even if you once thought you did.

8. Do you consider yourself picky about dolls and doll-related things? Why? (for example, you have very strict standards, you have trouble finding a doll you really like, etc) Would you prefer to love every doll you came across?

I used to be very picky, but over time I started to care less about details. Now I would buy any doll that inspires me to create a character, regardless of how it's sculpted. Ironically though, I started to want less dolls the less pickier I got. Although I like most of the dolls I come across, I just have no desire to own them. ​

I wouldn't really call it a flaw, but I do think that being too picky can be more of an inconvenience.​

I currently own 8 full dolls, and I consider mine a big collection (although some might disagree). I'm very happy with the number I own but I'm still considering adding a couple more to the family.. ​

yolo ​

9. Do you consider yourself picky about dolls and doll-related things? Why? (for example, you have very strict standards, you have trouble finding a doll you really like, etc) Would you prefer to love every doll you came across?

Yes, I'm really picky. I collect slim minis and they are difficult to come by in the first place; quite many of those still have big heads and eyes (like Minifees) or are proportioned like fashion dolls, with tiiiiiny heads. There are only a few companies with proportions that I like, and only a couple of sculpts per company that I actually like. So far, there's exactly one doll that I'm completely happy with (proportions, face, mobility and aesthetics of the body).

No, I don't think it as a flaw - when the dolls cost $300+ each, I'm quite pleased to not come across a doll I love every other week.

I'm not sure if my collection - eight dolls, one of which I'm going to sell - is particularly big. But I've collected them over the years so I had time to look for the perfect ones.

10. Do you consider yourself picky about dolls and doll-related things? Why? (for example, you have very strict standards, you have trouble finding a doll you really like, etc)

I guess I'm picky--that's why I have hybrid dolls mostly instead of a full doll from a single company. I like poseable and aesthetically pleasing bodies and also have very specific preferences for heads. For example, I refuse to buy a female body with a waist joint only without a chest (underbust) joint or a body which is single jointed. I prefer two (or even three, with a waist joint) joint torsos (so a total of three or four parts), floating knees and elbows (instead of a hidden peanut), jointed fingers (preferably with three parts to the thumb), and probably other factors I'm forgetting to list.

Would you prefer to love every doll you came across?

When I love a doll, I want to buy it, so I suppose I would either be jealous of someone who had enough money that they could buy every doll they came across (assuming they loved them all), or pity them, because they're so technologically illiterate that they rarely encounter BJDs :XD: (rarely encounter BJDs so even if they love and want to buy every one they came across, they are few in number).

I don't know why being picky would be a flaw--you have to limit your doll purchases in some way, and I guess I'm lucky that one of the main reasons my collection isn't huge is that I don't like a lot of sculpts and bodies.

However, recent doll sculpting trends seem to favor what I like more than in the past when I was first exposed to the hobby, so perhaps I'm perceived as less picky than in the past (before I purchased BJDs, but was introduced to the hobby and stalked hobbyists on Flickr).

Then, childlike anime sculpts were popular, and now the style is more realistic, adult dolls. The only aspect of current dolly aesthetics that I don't like it the standard body type for SD girls and boys--the boys are too muscly, and the girls are too skinny and their curves have been smoothed (especially in the belly area and thigh) so that they look more photoshopped than realistic.

I don't really know if my collection is considered small or large. I will eventually have around 15-20ish dolls...probably. Perhaps that's large.

I love each of my dolls--I have to: I mod them a lot to get them where I like them, and each represents hours of planning, dremeling, sculpting, and sanding (and eventually sewing and painting). I like having a group of dolls because I have a lot of ideas for what I want to do with a particular doll or a particular character, and I feel like they get too busy when I try to attempt all my ideas on a single doll.

Having multiple dolls allows me to experiment with multiple character personalities and historical periods. I get to have more casually dress dolls or fancier or more stylish dolls, more masculine and femininely styled dolls. I get to own multiple resin colors and body types.

I don't see it as a flaw that needs to be fixed? Buy and do what you love. Don't feel the need to change for other people or what you perceive is the norm in the hobby.

#30 americanseamstress, Jun 2, 2017
      Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    11. I guess you could say I'm picky. I only collect 70cm+ males. The look gets me 1st then the body type. If I think they have the David Eric factor then they get to come live with me, but I've gotten a few guys that came & went and some that need to get going.
      I've gotten wigs that just have to be right for them so I've changed them as well. It's the stylist in me that makes me want them to be perfect!

12. Do you consider yourself picky about dolls and doll-related things? Why? (for example, you have very strict standards, you have trouble finding a doll you really like, etc) Would you prefer to love every doll you came across?
      Yes, I consider myself picky about both dolls and doll related things. My standards for dolls isn't that strict, but aesthetics wise I have a preference for Soom. I like their angular faces& bodies. Their ability to pose isn't as important compared to the details of their body ( hands, feet & how their torso looks ). Their clothing has to be well made & with decent looking materials... I'm super picky about the kind of lace used on dresses, I really dislike synthetic lace. I'm happy with not loving every doll I come across. I can appreciate the dolls of other owners without pining away for them.

I don't think this is a flaw. I feel being picky is another way of saving money, after all why waste money on something you know you don't love? This is a hobby for us all to enjoy, we are free to go after their own ideals.

Most of my resin dolls are similar in terms of sculpt. I have a few that aren't similar aesthetically-- I'm not feeling as much love towards them and am contemplating selling them.

Follow your heart--- but do your research. Don't buy things impulsively because you love it at the time, look into everything that you can so you won't feel regret. For head sculpts take the time to look for custom faceups or mods. If you are able try to see either the doll you are looking for or something similar in person, or look for videos-- different angles might change your mind.

13. You know...I hadn't really thought that I was picky until I came across this thread. Now that I'm contemplating it...yeah, I am pretty picky.

Do you consider yourself picky about dolls and doll-related things? Why? (for example, you have very strict standards, you have trouble finding a doll you really like, etc) Would you prefer to love every doll you came across?
      Yes. Unlike most others, I'm mainly focused on collecting bjds to develop specific characters for a WIP (graphic) novel project. Well...besides the fan characters I'm working on anyways. I'm seeking out specific heads/bodies/etc that fit with each character, while sticking within a certain size margin, which is in the SD size range. I'm also pretty focused on stylized realism, so very stylized/anime-esque dolls don't appeal to me. I do collect some anime-esque dolls (Pullip/Taeyand/etc), but I prefer them in 1/6 scale. 1/3 or 1/4 scale of the same thing bugs me for some reason.

Also, I'm not at all fond of child-like/child-specific dolls, so MSDs and YoSDs don't really appeal to me as well. My first bjd is a MSD, and I will probably keep her for sentimental reasons, but I know from first hand knowledge I'm not fond of that size or aesthetic through my experience with her. I'm not a big fan of child dolls in general, which probably stems from my dislike of the baby dolls my sister used to be obsessed with. (On mature MSDs: I prefer mature sculpts/bodies be SD-sized, so it would be a rare exception for me to take an interest in a MSD-sized mature doll).

I also am not drawn to generic aesthetics, like rounded faces, big eyes and mouths, which is an extension to not being too fond of SD-sized anime styled dolls. Although I like creepy dolls, I'm not interested in collecting any. I'm also not a fan of anthropomorphic dolls, although I can make exceptions with cat-like ones on occasion. I'm also kind of picky with the level of maturity of sculpts in SD size. Outside some exceptions, I'm not too fond off very youthful, wide-eyed preteen faces. Exaggerated expressions, like big smiles (stepford smile-like), accentuated frowns and stuff like projecting tongues/etc are big turn-offs.

I like the bodies I select for my characters to have a good balance of realism aesthetically and also be decent posers. I never liked anything Barbie related as a kid (in fact, Barbie was what mostly turned me off to dolls in general as a kid), so anything that reminds me of that look is an automatic turn-off. I don't care if it can pose extremely well; if it looks Barbie-stylized to any degree...nope.

If you are picky, how did you manage to have a big doll collection? If yours is small, do you wish you'd have more dolls, or are you happy with having few ones you really love?
      Currently, I'd consider my collection to be pretty medium-sized. I have a lot of WIP bjds at the moment, but overall I have 10-12 overall, with more planned. (I might have more, as I haven't kept tabs on the actual number). How I manage my collection? I have a specific goal in mind, and I'm sticking with it. I don't get drawn to too many dolls unless they fit the criteria for a character I have in mind, and I'm not planning to collect more than those I've got planned out. There are a lot of great dolls out there, but most aren't for me.

Advice? Um...follow your own bjd passion, and don't let anyone else's vision cloud your own. Get the dolls you want, and know what aesthetic, size, and style works best for you. Each person has a different need/desire that they want to achieve from this hobby, and I think it's imperative that each person travels that path to dollie discovery in their own unique way. Do what works for you. They're your dolls, after all---not anyone else's.:kitty2

14. Do you consider yourself picky about dolls and doll-related things? Why? (for example, you have very strict standards, you have trouble finding a doll you really like, etc) Would you prefer to love every doll you came across?
      I am very particular about what kind of dolls I like. I make sure that all of them are in a similar or complementary style because I want them to look good together. They live in an SD-sized world, so most of them are between 58cm and 72cm. That eliminates a LOT of choices. I've never had a problem finding dolls I like! I definitely do not want to love every doll I come across. I don't even like every doll made by just my favorite companies. I'm also limited on space, so I try not to buy doll-related things that I don't have room for. I would like to have a BJD-sized horse and a kitchen set, but I just don't have the space.

I don't consider it to be a flaw. There's nothing wrong with liking what you like! Plus, being choosy keeps the numbers of your doll family more manageable.

I have about fifty dolls. Considering the thousands of available dolls, I think that fifty is a small number! I wish I had fewer now, but it's too late. Once I'm attached to a doll, I won't want to sell it.

I don't know if this is advice for picky people in particular, but whenever I find myself wanting a new doll, I always take a good look at the dolls I already have at home. If the new one is too similar to what I have already, I try not to buy it.

Linda S.
      galatia9

15. I know I'm very picky, as @goilat28paces can attest to as we were trying to find poor Tamper some clothes. But I'm picky with a LOT of things, so it comes as no surprise. It's good because it reigns in my spending but also bad in sometimes it's hard to find stuff because it has to be "perfect" for me to be willing to spend money on it. Poor Tamper is still shoe-less as I need the right pair of boots...

16. Yep, I'm very picky. There's plenty of BJDs I find beautiful, but I don't have enough interest in them to want to buy it for myself. The number of sculpts I like badly enough to buy are fairly small. That's probably a good thing, with how expensive dolls can be!

I don't see why being picky would be a flaw. Everyone likes what they like.

I feel like perhaps I buy dolls differently than some other people here do. Some people seem to come up with some character in their head and then get a desire to shell it. For most of my dolls that is not why I bought them. I bought them because I saw the sculpt and fell in love with the beautiful piece of art that it is. I made a character up for it *AFTER* falling in love with the sculpt, so the character ultimately ends up matching the sculpt that way.

So far, I haven't had much luck in the department of already having a character in mind and then having to find a sculpt for it. It's frustrating. Maybe that's one way that being picky is a detriment!

17. I am soooooo super picky and I'm not at all ashamed of that. I find that in such an expensive hobby, it's very useful to be picky about what you want and have a very short, exclusive wishlist. Especially when working with limited funds.
      I tend to appreciate rounder, more natural angles and realistic sculpts, which is probably why I find few masculine sculpts that I enjoy. And fantasy parts such as extra arms, spider bodies, and mermaid tails are so lovely, yet rare, and it's hard to find a mertail that is exactly what I want.
      I only have two dolls (one more on layaway) and while I was excited about them, they are very small and I'm not happy with their faceups, so I'm probably going to sell them. I hope to do the faceup on the one still coming myself, that will probably take me many tries but I'm so picky I am sure I would find some fault if I sent it to someone else. ^^;
      I won't even buy lolita dresses or clothes online, I have to check it out in person or make it myself to be satisfied.

18. I'm definitely not picky when I see other peoples dolls. I don't have very many opportunities to see others dolls in real life, but when I do I always fall in love with them ( and want to take them home! Xp )

When it comes to myself though, I'm definitely picky since I have characters in mind that I want to fill. I've owned three dolls in my life so far ( and have sold two, looking to sell the third ) , trying to get used to different sizes, what they can do as far as posing, and what I'm looking for. Luckily though I think I've finally discovered my style and what I want >w< ( a minifee mirwen! I love her size, I had a minifee boy in the past, but due to bills and other things I had to sell him )

The best advice I can give is if you are picky, if you can, see as many dolls in person as possible! My current doll is an SD size, and while I love her and admire her quality, I had nooooooo idea how big she would really be!

1. Do you consider yourself picky about dolls and doll-related things?
        • Moderately picky: I only want own SD girls who have a slightly anime/over the top look to them. I have one MSD sized doll and she is by far my least favorite. I would never own another. I didn't realize at the time how much I loved the big showy girls until after I bought her. However, it's too late and I'm super attached to her. Every time I see an MSD sized doll I like I just remember how disappointed I was with her size and force myself to walk away.
        • I never found penises particularly good looking and the shrunken up resin ones ruin male dolls for me. Besides that, I want my girls to wear frilly lolita things and the Iplehouse line backer boys just don't suit that style.
      2. Would you prefer to love every doll you came across?
        • No, it'd cost too much
      3. Whether you are picky or not, do you think it's a flaw? Why?
        • In this hobby it's a blessing. It keeps your house form being cluttered with dolls and keeps your pocket book from screaming.
      4. If you are picky, how did you managed to have a big doll collection?
        • New companies keep bringing out dolls I like and old companies revamp. I used to ignore Volks dolls because they looked too child like and plain, but they changed their style and now I love them.
      5. Any advice for picky people?
        • Never change

19. Lord, yes, haha. In 10 years of being in the hobby, I only had one doll for five of them. I still only have three.

Do you consider yourself picky about dolls and doll-related things? Why? Would you prefer to love every doll you came across?

I love a ton of dolls, but I have characters that I want to shell so I’m very particular about their features. Plus, there’s only so much money to go around, so I plan and take a while to acquire them. I’m much more likely to impulse buy clothes or eyes, though! I love spoiling the dolls I do have.

I don’t think so. I’d rather have a few dolls that were well-put together, with lots of accessories, than several half-finished ones. I only just bought my third doll, and I hate that he’s blank – but that just means he gets all of my attention for a while. Meanwhile, the other two are still really cute and available to do fun things with.

I think I may eventually end up with around 10 dolls, but I’m way happier having a small collection of well-loved ones. I also find that of the two “finished” dolls I have, I have a much stronger affinity for the one I planned the character for (the other was an impulse buy). I also have a great local community so I get to see a lot of the other dolls that I like, but not necessarily enough to buy.

As long as you’re happy, stay picky! Everyone collects in different ways.