1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Are you a picky doll collector?

May 31, 2017

1. Do you consider yourself picky about dolls and doll-related things? Why? (for example, you have very strict standards, you have trouble finding a doll you really like, etc) Would you prefer to love every doll you came across?

I think so, in a way. I am not super picky about clothes or wigs (though I grow pickier as time goes on). But I am pretty picky about dolls. I like looking at them, but there are very few I want to add to my collection at the moment and I already have them. I really don't want to get stuck with a purchase I don't like. I get buyer's remorse easily, so for every major purchase (an even minor ones) I do a lot of research.

For me to get a doll, they need a character. I don't make characters then find a shell (with one exception). I have to look at their face and instantly get a character. I compare it to being struck by lightning. Not only that, said character has to fit in with the ones I already have. Then I need to find a body. Usually the head wants a different body type than the one it comes with (I like androgyny), so I have to look up matches and sculpts. I don't want to have to blush to match, so the match has to be fairly close. Also they have be a decent poser, have a multi-part torso (preferably three part), be double jointed, and be the right height for the character. Then when the body is finally chosen, I move on to eyes, wigs, and clothes. Those I tend to be a bit looser with, though as i said, I feel the pickiness growing.

I am a bit relieved that I am picky. This is a pricey hobby after all.

Whether you are picky or not, do you think it's a flaw? Why?

Like I said, I'd be a bit worried if I wasn't picky. The idea of having a massive wishlist of dolls I know I can't complete would make me a bit sad.

If you are picky, how did you managed to have a big doll collection? If yours is small, do you wish you'd have more dolls, or are you happy with having few ones you really love?

So far my collection is pretty small. One SD, two SD heads, an incoming tiny, with no current plans other than to complete what I currently have. I want to keep my collection under ten not only because of price, but because I want to be able to give all my dolls a fairly even amount of attention. Plus, I don't like feeling overwhelmed. Besides, SDs are huge. Where would I keep them all?

Then again, I've only been in the hobby for a little over a year, so maybe I am not as picky as I think.

Any advice for picky people?

Nothing no one hasn't said before.

2. Oh wow, It's really interesting to read everyone's thoughts about this!

I myself can't consider myself picky or not yet.. I just started out. There are a lot of things I dislike, so I guess I'm picky in some way, but there's a lot that I know I don't like THAT much but still kind of want. I'm sure that'll get less over time, especially when I start getting more dolls. I currently have 2, and one floating head that's waiting for his body <3. I fell in love witht his head, and now I'm immediately more picky because of the lovely ones I have already.

3. I am super picky. no mods. no hybrids. I collect certain companies and I will buy less than perfect, but I'm not going to pay as much. some of my dolls have been a business expense, buy generally I will only buy full dolls unless it's one particular company from one particular collection.

I don't care how my collection compares to anyone elses. big, small, rtc. it is the size it's supposed to be at this moment. it's about my happiness and I don't see the point of spending money to compete with others.

4. I'm learned to be more discerning over the years. I used to get a doll if it was mostly how I wanted it, and just tried to overlook the parts I didn't like so much. Now I've decided that if the doll isn't exactly how I like it, I pass and wait for one that is just right. I've compromised too many times and was never really happy, so I was always looking for something better. It feels good to find a doll that is perfect in every way and know it is a good purchase.

5. Do you consider yourself picky about dolls and doll-related things? Why? (for example, you have very strict standards, you have trouble finding a doll you really like, etc) Would you prefer to love every doll you came across?
      I'm quite picky, and I've gotten pickier over the years. I have a preferred size--SDs with the top height being around the 65cm range, though I will wiggle a bit on this, but they must be relatively in-scale to one another, a preferred type--not hyper-realistic but not super-stylized, I don't go in for the super-pretty boys as a rule, and definitely not the big-eyed, pouty girls, no childish minis, usually no elves or vampires or fantasy parts, and I really need the bodies to be well-proportioned and reasonably posable. I must have glass eyes for my dolls, I don't like natural fiber wigs, and I almost never buy clothes because I'd rather just make it myself and know that it fits, is of decent quality and material, and hasn't cost more than my own clothes. It can make some things difficult--I have a box full of heads because I haven't found the right bodies for them, and sometimes I get more dolls in than I have time to make clothes, but it really hasn't slowed down my finding dolls I like. I have a handful of companies that I have consistently liked over the years, and they're my first stops when I need to look at something new. I'm glad I don't love every doll I come across, because I would be in a serious state of perpetual frustration because there's no way everyone can come home.

I don't think that knowing what you like and having a distinct taste or style is necessarily a flaw, particularly in what can be an exceedingly expensive hobby. It certainly helps curb impulse purchases.

If you are picky, how did you managed to have a big doll collection? If yours is small, do you wish you'd have more dolls, or are you happy with having few ones you really love?

Hard work and dedication! XD Event and bonus heads have been something of a downfall for me, because they can be relatively inexpensive to pick up, and I don't mind hybriding at all, especially if the head is from a company that has bodies I don't like. But I have a pretty wide range of companies represented in my collection, because I will wait for sales and events before I make a purchase. I've been lucky over the years--what the companies are producing has finally caught up with my tastes, so I've been able to take my sweet time building my doll family. I'm really at the point of just getting bodies and giving some of the floating heads long hard looks about whether they still get to stick around.

Nope! If being picky is how you roll, then roll with it! :D

6. I'm definitely, without a doubt, a super picky person when it comes to dolls. :eusa_sile To the point where, aside from finances, I still don't have a doll yet. I will soon, he's on layaway, but it still probably shouldn't have taken this long to get my first one considering how long I've been an admirer. I think part of my problem is that I'm drawn to hyper uniqueness. Plain old humans, for the most part, are really boring to me. Don't get me wrong though, there are definitely some human dolls that I adore! Just not enough to want to buy.

Soom has been my favourite for a long time because of their monthly special dolls. That's actually what my first doll is, and I'm so excited to get to see him face to face. The one doll I'd love to have more than anything is Souldoll's Amon or Kyle, but I don't think I"ll ever be able to get my hands on either of them. :...(

The more animal-like or monster-like, the more I want. I've always been heavily drawn to the faeries and mermaids, as well as the demons and dragons. Unfortunately, there just isn't a whole lot of super-fantasy dolls out there for me to choose from :doh

I think my pickiness might get in the way, but then again, I don't think my bank account could handle it if I wasn't picky! :chomp:

7. I steer totally clear of YoSD's and smaller, less mature dolls, just because I'm not too much of a fan of the baby look...but other than that I think I'm not too picky? I have a type (stereo-typically girly, sweet, pretty) but inside that kind of type, I'm not overly picky! Hence the length of my wishlist...:whee:

8. I don't know -- what does "picky" mean? I only buy the dolls I want, the ones that suit my taste. I don't buy dolls I dislike or feel indifferent about at the time, even if later I decide the doll needs to move on.

Seriously, is there anyone who isn't "picky?" Who on earth would spend this kind of money on things they don't like or want?

9. I guess i am pretty picky. Alot of it has to do with not having alot of money for dolls. I also love a doll with a really different face. I have many dolls but only have 3 buds but i love them.

10. Do you consider yourself picky about dolls and doll-related things? Why? (for example, you have very strict standards, you have trouble finding a doll you really like, etc)

I've become more and more picky lol. I discovered I tend to go for a certain "look" on a doll, I didn't know I have the tendency to fall for a specific facial feature until someone on FB asked me if my two complete different dolls were from the same company because they look similar lol
      Sometimes I would look at the doll and admire them, but I know if the doll is "my (doll) family type" or not.
      I've become a lot more picky with buying their stuffs too. If I'm going to buy outfits/other doll stuffs, I need it to have a certain level of quality in it. Especially the fabric!! If the fabric is not right then I won't like it!
      I need my wigs to be good wig, and their shoes need to have quality as well. I rather spend more money on a few items than spend less on many inexpensive items.

Would you prefer to love every doll you came across?

Ummmm no. I would be extremely broke if I do. LOL (as I'm not already boke enough)

Wether you are picky or not, do you think it's a flaw? Why?

No. I actually admire and respect personal standard and those who actually follow through with it. If you are picky it simply means you know what you want and what you are looking for, what's wrong with knowing yourself and have your preference?
      If you are not picky you get to enjoy every aspect of the hobby! So what's the flaw in that?
      So either way I think it's great lol

I don't think I have a large collection compare to some I know that owns more than 50+ dolls. I had a limit on how many I want to have, and then I ran into two dolls that I just know they would be a great fit to my doll family, so now I don't know how many dolls I'm going to end up with lol
      The thing for me is if I decide that a specific doll would be a good fit to my doll family, I'm going to love it the moment it comes to my house. Every single one of them is special, especially the ones that broke my doll limit.

I do enjoy having more dolls though, it allows me to explore a lot more different styles, which is pretty fun!

No advice! Be picky and find your true love!!

11. Hi :)
      I do consider myself picky. When looking for a new doll I know what I like and am happy to pay for a beautiful quality doll. New or adopted doesn't matter.
      I tend to go for quality rather then quantity and I guess I do like to spend and spoil my dolls so I am picky with clothes, eyes and wigs too. I may find an independent artists who makes the best quality soy wigs and why not pay a little extra for a stunning product.
      I don't see it as a flaw I feel like I know the value of my money and will spend more for something special.
      Nothing wrong with being picky or not lol
      As long as you are happy there is no harm :)

12. Do you consider yourself picky about dolls and doll-related things? Why? (for example, you have very strict standards, you have trouble finding a doll you really like, etc) Would you prefer to love every doll you came across?

I'm both :lol: When it comes to liking dolls I like most of them... There are no dolls I dislike, in fact. There are some I don't really get, but I know I'd appreciate them if I knew what the artist was going for and trying to express.
      On the other hand when it comes to owning the doll I become very selective - just being pretty is not enough for me - if I'm going to own a doll they have to be the right size, and they have to inspire me in some way. I need to be able to incision myself owning one, holding them and doing things for them, the doll has to give me ideas. And wither that happens or not is a very subjective thing, I can't really point to exact qualities that do that for me. I althou don't like "repeats" - I don't need to own 5 dolls I think would look good in jeans and t-shirts, one is enough - all the street fashion goes to them and the next one I get needs to be something different all together :)

No, I don't think it's a flaw - being picky saves me a lot of money :lol: And space. In fact I think you HAVE to be picky for sanity sake :lol:

I don't think I'll ever have a truly big collection. By big I mean over 50, I know there are people out there with bigger doll rooms than that, and I love seeing thous collection but I can not imagine myself managing all thous dolls. I think my ideal collection size would be around 20 dolls - more will be to much maintenance. So I do have to pick the ones I really like.

Don't force it - stay picky. It's ok to have a lot of dolls, it is althou ok to have a fiew, it's not quantity that really counts :)

13. Do you consider yourself picky about dolls and doll-related things? Why? (for example, you have very strict standards, you have trouble finding a doll you really like, etc) Would you prefer to love every doll you came across?

I never used to consider myself a picky collector but after 10+ years in the hobby, I would say yes I'm pretty picky now :whee: My style & taste has changed and that reflects my collection today. I am often torn between getting dolls that fit a character or getting dolls because I simply love the sculpt *_*

I don't think it's a flaw, I just know the styles and clothing that I like now!

I have always kept a smaller collection - once it gets too big, I cut it down to smaller again :XD: My dolls need to connect to the story so those that don't fit, don't stay too long! :celebrate

Figure out your style :D Get a good balance between sculpts you love and sculpts for a character so enjoy them more!

14. Do you consider yourself picky about dolls and doll-related things? Why? I think I am picky about certain things about sculpts like eyes, nose, jawline and expression (so like the whole face haha). For the body, things like breasts and shoulder width come to mind as needing to look right. There are just certain shapes I find more aesthetically pleasing. If I'm going to be spending this much money on dolls I want them to look beautiful to me!
      I am picky about wigs and eyes for my dolls that have pre-existing characters because I want them to look how I envisioned. But not picky for anything for Jewel as long as she looks cute.

Would you prefer to love every doll you came across? No. I don't even consider myself to be "in love" with the sculpts I do own. I like them because they fit my existing characters. I am OK not loving every doll I come across since it keeps my collection on the "small" side.

Whether you are picky or not, do you think it's a flaw? Why? I don't think being picky is a flaw. Being picky just implies that you have an idea of what you want. I guess there is such thing as being too picky in which case you might never find a sculpt you like! On the flip side, you could also be not picky enough and just be constantly overwhelmed by all the options!

Any advice for picky people? If you're struggling to shell a character, sometimes you just gotta compromise on certain features to get the ones that are more important to you!

15. Yes I am very picky because of my strict standards... My avatar doll is an IOS Grazia on a Universe Doll body. He is pin headed for most standards, with his 8 inch head. He is wearing SD shoes, and he is sculpted beautifully, with lots of nice details on his body. He is very posable. When I looked for a girl I checked every little thing: her head must be smaller than 8 inch, Her feet mustn't be same size or bigger than his. She must be 60cm tall, because my boy is a tall character... She must have a slim and elegant body with fine details...I only accepted her breast size, because I think I can mod it if I want to. My next boy is same standards except head and feet. Head is same size, feets are little bigger I think..He will be 70cm I think... Just like my boy. And these are only for the measurements... I just don't like elephant legs, ugly ankles, button nipples, single joints... and so on. I think I just stopped at 3 dolls, they are too exepensive and I am too picky... :sweat

My first doll was an IPLEHOUSE eid Victor. He was beatiful, but too muscled, and totally disfunctional. I sold him after half year of sweat and struggle... He is the happy grail of his new owner.

This hobby is too exepensive to not be picky...

#55 Triexiz, Sep 21, 2020
      Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    16. I’m very picky! I’ve been in and out of the hobby for 8 years now, and I’ve just bought my 4th doll. I’ve been eyeballing that doll for 3 years now, and finally decided to pull the plug and buy it.

Part of this pickiness stems from my frugal nature - I will spend days/weeks researching any potential purchase above $100. If I find any red flags during my research, I probably won’t buy it.

17. Do you consider yourself picky about dolls and doll-related things? Why? (for example, you have very strict standards, you have trouble finding a doll you really like, etc) Would you prefer to love every doll you came across?
      I don't think I'm inherently picky, at least, when it comes to liking things-- for financial reasons, I'm much pickier when it comes to spending money! I love a lot of dolls, but I only have so much money and so much display space, and once I love a doll I love it FOREVER, so I can't just sell an old doll to make space for a new one.

I don't think it's a flaw at all to be picky about your own collection-- you can take it too far, of course, it's not great if you're so impossible to please that you have difficulty enjoying the hobby! But you can get just as much joy from perfecting those few dolls or even that one, if that's what best suits you.

While I do have a long wishlist of dolls I love and characters I'd love to shell, I am happy with the pace I collect at, and with finding those dolls that I love so much that I know they belong in my collection. Especially when it comes to finding a doll to fit a pre-existing character, I'd much rather wait for the perfect thing to come along

18. I think it's a necessity and comes with the hobby to be at least somewhat 'picky' about the dolls you like and want. There is such a vast variety out there that I find it hard to believe that someone likes everything and with so much creativity and customization, no one has to exactly settle for a doll that they aren't really excited to have. Plus, with the amount of money folks can throw down on a single doll, making sure that it is to their specific or 'picky' specifications would be warranted.

19. Do you consider yourself picky about dolls and doll-related things? Why? (for example, you have very strict standards, you have trouble finding a doll you really like, etc) Would you prefer to love every doll you came across?

I think my standards have changed over time. I used to stay within one company (Bluefairy) but when they changed their body styles, I moved over to Volks. I've tried other companies (Luts Kid Delf, Dream of Doll, Angel Region) but the aesthetic I like has gone out of fashion. I've picked up a lot of older dolls inexpensively that way, since I'm willing to put in the work to refurbish them. I prefer the older single-joint dolls to the new double-jointed dolls. I don't like to buy heads and bodies separately. Oh, and I prefer to buy dolls with boxes, but that has to do with storage and organization issues.

No, I don't think it is a flaw. People can like what they like, and again, I've been in the hobby long enough to see fashions change.

I have a large collection because I picked up dolls second-hand as they went out of fashion, and I was willing to get fixer-uppers. And a lot of my dolls are old-fashioned now, so I don't want to sell them at a huge loss. So I'm enjoying the ones I have. I've only bought one doll this year, and that was a birthday present.

Don't let people's opinions get you down. You like what you like--enjoy that! You do you and have fun with it. I have several dolls that I am still working on. Real life got in the way this year and I haven't had the time to spend on the hobby that I would like, but look forward to getting back to my dolls.

20. Do you consider yourself picky about dolls and doll-related things? Why? (for example, you have very strict standards, you have trouble finding a doll you really like, etc) Would you prefer to love every doll you came across?

I'm pretty picky. I've mainly stuck with mature tinies, and any doll that doesn't fit with the head and eye size range of the current group is an instant no. I've gotten more particular about wanting double jointed dolls, and have also gotten more picky about face sculpts. I have trouble finding decent fitting wigs I like because my dolls are small. I do wish I could find more women I like. (I got so fed up trying to find a tiny lady I ordered a Racoon Doll- a Fashion MSD)

If I was less picky I'd have too many dolls! Being picky is population control for my collection.

I've currently got 19 BJDs at home, and am waiting on three more. (I blame the Dollshe doll and its ridiculous wait time for that) My preferred scale has gotten a bit more popular in recent years, and I've managed to get dolls that were limited or being discontinued. I have a number of single jointed dolls that I love, but I have enough. Actually I feel I have too many. There are a few I'd like to re-shell or just re-home. I feel like the group's too big, but I keep buying more.:doh

Love what you love.