1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Are you a picky doll collector?

May 31, 2017

1. I guess I must be since Sandor is my first and only doll and it will probably be a year before he has any proper clothes.

Its like I feel like I can't buy a doll just because I think it's pretty. I was looking at someone who does dolls who look like 1930s film stars and I felt like I could get a doll just to get it done like that - but I can do a Black Widow character doll because she has that kind of classic look in the first Avengers movie- and maybe I can put her in pretty old fashioned dresses sometimes... does that make sense?

2. Im super picky with more expensive dolls. If its above 400 i need every thing about the doll to perfectly fit my vision. I dont really care as much about the bodies for dolls in the 100-250 price range but it still matters some. The doll i have on layaway I compared to like five other dolls that i picked out of hundreds i scrolled through initially. I compared all the bodies and face plates and even ended up narrowing down to a hybrid and the doll i ended up ordering because i was being so picky about the body and head. I think being picky isnt bad for a hobby like this, which is expensive, takes space, and is often a time commitment with layaways and wait times.

My tips are to keep a soft wishlist, where you track any doll that catches your attention even a little. Put a picture, price, name, and company. You can do this in google docs and use a table. Then when you’re ready to think about purchasing a doll make a hard wish list, meaning dolls you’re 100% sure you want to have. You can put more pictures on this so you can compare easier and even print it out to scale of the doll and tape paper together to get an idea of how big the doll is and if you really like how it is.

My last advice is for picky compulsive buyers- sometimes when you’re picky and come across something you just click with you MUST have it. I suggest placing the dolls or items you like on a list and waiting at least a month before purchasing so you know whether or not you’re serious and you have some time to turn off subscriptions you’re not using and gather some money and plan.

3. I don't know if it's pickiness but I do like a very narrow range of dolls. I don't like any overly realistic dolls, I hate dolls with bulging vacuum-sealed muscles (which makes having 60+cm boys a nightmare, since the alternative tends to be babyish which doesn't suit my choice of heads), I don't like dolls that have bland/basic/expressionless faces, and I tend not to gravitate towards a doll if it doesn't have an immediately recognizable "quirk"- I only like sculpts that are sort of ugly in an appealing way. I actually can't stand dolls that are "too cute" which disqualifies a lot of dolls right out the gate.

I'm pickiest about eyes, and I can't stand irises that are too big. Huge irises turn a cute doll into a dead fish very quickly for me.

And even when all of those needs are met, I will pass up an otherwise perfect doll if it isn't big enough or double jointed/sufficiently articulated. :doh

I also just CAN NOT have a doll that I didn't paint. I've tried before, but even the most technically beautiful professional faceups really creep me out. Not that I think I'm the best faceup artist in the world (lmao) but I just feel like dolls someone else has painted look a bit haunted...

It is strange that I've still managed to accumulate so many dolls (65+ at this point and counting) but I definitely think it's mostly thanks to the miracle of hybrids. And I have a few favorite companies that achieve the specific aesthetic that I like, so I buy multiple from each one... you can accumulate a lot of dolls even just doing that. :lol: I find that I have certain companies that I just like a single head or body from, and those also pile up.

Pickiness is a good thing, as far as I'm concerned. I already spend too much on the few dolls that suit my "picky" taste...

4. Wow I'd love to see some of your dolls. I, on the otherhand, only like very realistic dolls.

5. What's the point of being a collector if you're not picky? :huh?: I want to love my dolls from head to toe, or I wouldn't bother buying them. Settling for something that's just 'okay' instead of perfect seems like a waste of time, money and energy to me.

6. I am not very picky. I typically only buy second hand dolls so I am pretty accustomed to minor flaws. I am very picky when it comes to major damages like broken parts.

7. Yes… I think I’m pretty picky about dolls and doll-related things. I’m only interested in realistic-looking dolls so I very care about the anatomy and overall aesthetic sense of dolls, and because of that, I rarely find a doll I really like (this could be a good thing because I can save money lol). I’m also picky about every doll-related things including clothes, shoes, props, furnitures, etc. I want them all look realistic enough and have good high quality and details. I don’t have a lot of doll and doll stuff. I’ve only had two dolls so far since I started this hobby 4 years ago, but I’m happy with having few ones I really love.

8. Im suuuper picky! I cant seem one doll i truly LOVE and i really dont know why! This is the reason and more into hybrids :doh

9. I consider myself a pretty picky collector tbh. I don't find it to be a bad thing it simply is. I absolutely adore fantasy sculpts and I think I would be hard pressed to find a completely human sculpt that I would go for.

While I find my pickyness frustrating/annoying sometimes I think I prefer not loving every doll I see, it would make my choices very difficult :huh?: Being picky means that I also have to sit for a while to really consider a doll which helps me be absolutely sure I want it before spending any money, so i actually find it beneficial.

My collection is pretty small rn (DZ scorpio event doll, DC Charon, and DZ Dragon Po [payed off waiting for him anxiously]) but I'm planning on getting more. I probably have around 15 wishlist dolls (likely not getting most of them, unfortunately) and one doll I'm definitely about to put a deposit down on. I dont think my pickyness will ever really affect the overall size of my collection, just that it may take longer to grow.

Honestly if you are picky, just be picky. Trying to force yourself to love a sculpt you don't have a connection with is almost impossible. Waiting the extra time to find something you really love will always be worth it.

10. I would say I am a picky doll collector being that I have looked and researched alot for the most part. I at first was looking to get an SD, and only liked the Supia Doll sculpt being they looked nice in the face, but then soon realized they were a bit too tall for me. I also got a Dollzone Uncle at the time as well in which I was disappointed in the body [It was a gift for my ex-boyfriend in which he wanted to make a hybrid; waste of money on my part, being of personal issues]. So one day I stumbled upon instagram and saw the harucasting sculpts and was in love with E-minor; but I missed the preorder. I waited a bit more on their new sculpt and saw Maji, and was in love with it.

The one thing that piqued my interest about harucasting in particular was it was an independent company, and he was very informative and gave updates, and was also quite humorous to talk to. His customer service may have some delays, but he was always apologetic and kind.

I also loved the body, being that it was quite unique just like the lilycat dolls that I have seen. Harucasting has evolved in some time in which the dolls are double jointed, and yet they stand on their own, which was a major point for me. I didn't want to have to use a stand to pose my BJD.

Also like most have said in this post; childish faces and bodies are not for me either. One of my family members had Marie Antoinette dolls in which they were cute, but overall I wasn't a fan of them.