1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

are you afraid of losing intrest?

May 27, 2009

1. Oh yes, I've done this all before. :sweat When I first got into this hobby I was a bit over whelmed. (I got my first three dolls very soon after I started this hobby) Because of that I started getting cold feet, and wondering if this was the right hobby for me. For the longest time my boys just sat in their boxes waiting *_* But finally I figured I had spent so much money on them, and I just loved them. There have been rare occasions when I've thought about leaving the hobby, but then I look at my boys and remember why I got into it in the first place :) It can be a little intimidating starting off in this hobby, with prices and all, but once you're hooked, you're hooked :lol:

Then there is that discouraging feeling when you get a doll you thought you would love but then it turns out that doll isn't quite what you expected and that can also leave a bitter feeling.

2. No, I don't worry about losing interest. Sometimes I may go a few days without playing with them or something, but I've always loved dolls, and I don't think I'd ever lose interest in BJDs enough to, say, get rid of them or something.

3. Nope. I know that there will always be something I can do with them. Right now, I'm trying to improve on my faceups, and I know that if I get to a good point on that, I can learn how to sew and make beautiful clothing (and with my learning curve... that'll take a while), then after that, learn how to improve my photos of them... Then we start all over. Learn how to crochet again, learn how to knit, learn how to post-shoot manip on the computer...

These dolls will constantly create new things to learn for me. That's why I got into this hobby. I've got a lifetime to learn it all and new things everyday to try!

4. I'm sure I'll lose interest eventually, but I'm not afraid of it. When it happens it happens, and if I need money I'll probably sell the dolls and their stuff and if not I'll probably be lazy and keep it around because selling stuff is a lot of work. I don't see it as something to worry about, just a fact of life: I lose interest in things eventually.

5. It has crossed my mind for sure! I've gone through vintage Sindy dolls to Blythes to 1950s hard plastic Pedigrees to composition dolls. I'm currently selling them all off on Ebay to pay for my new fix (bjds). At least I've not lost on the vintage ones, probably made a bit as I restore them but i'm now gripped by bjds, which is fine. But as they are sooo much more expensive the cost of eventually selling them , as they're not vintage they can only go down in value is a worry! But, hey it's a great hobby whilst I'm obsessed and I find I always need a creative project on the go, so I don't mind unduly but will have to try and keep this one in check. It's simply too expensive otherwise.

6. A couple times I've lost interest and haven't touched them or the forums here in months or a year or more but then suddenly I'll get back into it. That just happened again, i was away for a long time but now im back in full force! It depends on what else is going on in life at the time.

7. My interest level in all my vices is peripatetic. I really get into something and commit resources and time to it and think "Ah this is it!" and am very content. Then my interest just gets up and wanders off to the next thing, and it all happens again. At first it was kind of stressful, because I wondered if I was permanently losing interest, and what would I do with all these unfinished projects?? Was I just a not-serious flake?? But so far it seems my interest level always returns from its walkabout and I'm learning to just relax about it and be more patient. I think I just need this revolving panoply of obsessions to keep my life interesting intellectually and artistically. :-P I wish I could just stay the same sometimes, though, I think I'd get more accomplished.

Raven

8. I'm not too worried about losing interest in the dolls themselves because I don't feel like they require any real effort to enjoy. Even if I stop buying them new clothes, eyes, doing faceups and sewing and all that they're still lovely and I can still enjoy how nice they are. I might stop going to meetups and spending time online chatting about new releases and events, but the dolls I figure are for keeps.

9. I'm not afraid of loosing interest. I took to many years for me to get my first one!

Art has been my hobby my whole life, and to me my BJDs are like a huge art project. So I can't see myself ever getting bored of them.

10. I was definitely worried about that. I have an almost rotating set of interests and hobbies. I've found I just need something to occupy my time. I've been interested in BJDs for over 3 years now, which simply shows how stimulating and consuming they are. I've always loved miniatures, and BJDs are beautiful. They combine so many interests, such as painting, sewing, photographing, that it seems the perfect hobby for me. I love collecting, and I love searching and finding the perfect dolls and perfect clothing and accessories. I don't see myself leaving it any time soon. :)

11. No. I did concider it, like 'what if', but I know I never would. I have a doll in my room I've had since I was about 5. He's older than me and his hair and fingers are missing but I still love him. That's why I know I'd never get rid of them.
      I do wish I could spend more time with them at the moment. :(

12. Yeah, I really am. I mean...I've been following the BJD hobby for a good 3 years and just got my first doll about 8 months ago...I recently acquired a floating head but it seems like I do nothing with them because I can't sew or anything like that. I think a lot of it has to do with them not being complete-Tima doesn't have her girlfriend, Wander doesn't have a body or clothes or the right eyes or his boyfriend...I just don't feel like doing anything with a doll that's not how I want it but in order to get it perfect I have to work a crappy job and then I'm like "urgh! Screw these stupid dolls!" T_T Once I get a couple more dolls that fit in with my first dolls' storylines I'm sure I'll start doing more with them but until then they just sit on my shelf lookin' pretty ^^;

13. Yes because I've done that before..specially with the dolls house. I'm afraid I'll loose interest even before I get her >.>;

14. I have in a way. I am only interested in a few companies and am really only focused on my personal dolls anymore.
      BJD used to be a kind of social thing for me at one point and it is really more personal now which is hard because
      I was once very into learning as much as possible about them and meeting other collectors but the direction the hobby has taken for me lately
      my only focus is on buying clothing and accessories and am not really sure I want anymore dolls.
      I've actually been looking for things to distract me from them.
      I don't think I will ever completely give them up but it seems like as my interest becomes more and more refined it cuts out aspects of the hobby.
      I miss the enthusiasm I once had sometimes, but I never know what direction BJDs will take next.
      Maybe I'll get back into them much more or continue to narrow my interest but I am really not afraid of it.

15. Like Gantaeno, I'm afraid of losing interest in the entire hobby once the challenge is gone. I just started, so it won't be for a while. (I still can't get a decent face up XP) But once things do start getting easier... Will I even want to get more than just my pair? :(

While I waited for Hayvn to arrive, I was afraid that I wouldn't love her as much as I'd hoped, and then of course lose interest quickly, but fortunately that didn't happen. We'll see how things go once my life settles down some and I can devote more time to her. :3

16. I don't really worry about losing interest in my dolls. I've loved dolls for as long as I can remember, and with the exception of Barbies (which I had from a very young age and stopped buying around the time I got into BJD's) BJD's have had the most staying power. And, unlike with other dolls such as Cissy/Gene/Tyler, since I've gotten BJD's I haven't have much interest in other types of doll since there are just so many different BJD types! And their high level of customization makes them pretty much the perfect doll, in my eyes.

My interest does ebb and flow, though. Since I got my first girl in '02 I've gone through periods where I barely touch my dolls and don't keep up with the goings-on in the BJD world. And sometimes I am more interested in certain dolls than others. But even when I am not actively interested in my dolls or even thinking about them much, I still love them and enjoy seeing their sweet faces in my room. <3

17. No worries here. If I lost interest in them I'd be happy to sell them at a loss or just give them away, but in general I don't lose interest in dolls or toys and still have most of the ones from my childhood as well. When I was a teenager I was thinking I was too old for dolls and gave a few of them away - I have since rebought some of those given-away dolls on eBay because I missed them :)

I don't have to worry about doing something "constructive towards my future" because I'm quite old and have already had a few careers, so want to spend some time relaxing and having fun in the time I have left. But even if you're young you need to have things such as dolls outside of your "future", your "job", your "responsibilities", because life can't just be one long round of heavy duty things. People go nuts from that. If you realize that you're the type who does lose interest in things, then maybe just limit your doll purchases so you don't lose too much money when you decide you want to do something else.

18. I'm very worried about this. I've been interested in dolls for quite a few years now but I still haven't even bought one just because I've been so afraid of spending so much on something that I'll just lose interest in. I know some people think as long as it makes you happy for a bit then it's worth it... but the way I go through hobbies... for example, I was SO in to anime and manga for a few years and I used to buy a ton of it, I know that I have thousands of dollars worth of things related to it and now I look at all my stuff that I have practically zero interest in now and I get really sad about it. I just think about how I really didn't have to spend all that money on it :( I'm so worried that the same thing would happen with a doll.

19. I really have no fear of loosing interest and love my collection, there have been times I have stepped back from participating on the forum, but never have I lost interest in the dolls themselves

20. I'm not worried as I can always sell them (at a lost, minor or major). That's the way it can be with hobbies or interests. Do not ask about the money I've (or my parents) spent on horse riding lessons, ballet lessons, all my art supplies, books, manga, anime dvds, etc.

I think sometimes a minor restructuring is in order: change face-up, their clothing style. Or pick up something new: learn to sew, paint face-ups, etc.

After all life is a never ending changing journey. Nothing ever stays the same.