1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

are you afraid of losing intrest?

May 27, 2009

1. I'm not really afraid of losing interest. There's so many aspects of this hobby that I'm still learning about that it's keeping me fairly entranced. If I get "bored" with one aspect, I move onto another. ^^

I just wish I had more space in my apartment for all of the accessories I wish I could get. :P

2. I don't fear losing interest in this hobby. There has been times previous to this that I was very inactive in the doll hobby. Sometimes, I do wish I would lose interest so I don't buy anymore dolls. The only thing that I could be afraid of is not getting every cent back from what I've spent. But, that's to happen in this hobby. I'd gladly get rid most of my dolls to clear out space and get money for more important things later in life. I'd keep the ones I love dearly than most because they were my first doll or something. That's about it.

No one should fear losing interest, in my opinion. It's what comes and goes in life. And if you do lose interest, don't regret it or feel bad. It happens. And don't force yourself to like the hobby again.

3. I accept it as inevitable... No hobby has ever held my constant interest for more than a couple of years. I've always moved from one thing to another pretty regularly, no matter what it was.

That said, I also never seem to give up on past interests completely, even long after they've ceased to be the center of my attention. Sometimes I only hang on to favorite bits of old collections and give away or sell off the rest, other times I'll pack it all away, knowing I may come back to it later.

I'm not sure which the dolls will be, yet.

I suspect they'll end up like tabletop gaming and photography. Something I'm still fond of... something I do occasionally for fun... but not the end-all/be-all of my spare time that they once were. Harumatsu, Teacup and Al will always be around, but they might not be more than cuddly little minions that I tinker with once in awhile.

4. I am worried, actually. I just got my first doll recently and although I know I loved him mold while waiting for him I was so terrified he would get here and I would hate him and such. And while there are a few imperfections that annoy me, which is mostly just thinner resin on his thigh that doesn't match up with his leg, I love him to pieces.

I'm always worried I'm just going to up and abandon him though. I think its the money factors that kind of frighten me the most.

5. Not so much now, but if I ever invest like thousands of dollars in the hobby I will be!! I tend to come and go with interests, though I do swing back into them after a while... but I don't ever want to feel like I'd have wasted money ;__;
      I hope I wouldn't, though - interested or not, the dolls are still gorrrgeous~

6. I absolutely agree with the above--every one needs a way to have fun and de-stress, and dolls are as good a way as any. And truthfully, I do see my doll activities as constructive. While it may not have anything to do with my job, it encourages creative activities and feeds my imagination which is just as important as working as it's what makes life more than just a never ending grind.

I think one of the reasons I don't see myself losing interest is because the bjd hobby encompasses many of my other interests such as art and writing. There are so many things that can be done with bjds and so many new dolls coming out that it keeps things from getting stale.

7. If you're in it for the fad... then you might lose interest... However! If you are in it for the creativity and all of the possibly ways to customize your own doll. Well, I think that your doll will be a part of your life for years. As the times change, your dolly can change too.

8. Ah, I was thinking more along the lines of a Wall-Street-collapse-totally-broke scenario, but I guess donating to charity is also another guilt-free way of spending money:)

TS Eliot RULEZ. :lol:

9. Being born and raised a doll collector (family has been buying me porcelain dolls all my life, I have about 50 of them total), I can't see myself loosing interest any time soon. I will probably keep all of my dolls until the day I die ^^; If I happen to "loose interest" in BJDs and move onto other interests, they will probably be heavily coated with some UV-protectant MSC every so often and remain in a glass cabinet like the rest of my dolls.

10. Before I got my dolls I worried about loosing interest, but as soon as I got them I knew I would always enjoy something about them. There will always be an interest there for me. It may change over time, but there will always be something

11. I think my interest in dolls is cyclical; sometimes I don't touch or look at them, other times I have an urge to play with and photograph them. I once didn't touch my first doll for nearly a year, then for some sudden reason, I went and got myself an SD. The 'obsession' has waned a fairly great deal, but I don't see myself losing complete interest. I may leave them be for a lengthy period of time, but when I want to go back to them, they won't have gone anywhere. :)

12. I have phases with everything I become enthusiastic about. I used to be a heavy online gamer but I gradually stopped playing (and these were free games, so money wasn't even an excuse!!), I used to collect dragon statuettes but again, gradually stopped...

I don't fear losing interest, I expect it. I'm actually astounded that I have continued to have interest in BJDs for nearly two years now, and continued collecting after my first three :lol:

The way I see it, if I do lose interest then I'll just sell my dolls and put the money towards a nice holiday or something. If I don't, I have a whole bunch of pretties to love and cherish until I do ^__^ <3 I don't see it happening for a long, loooong time, as I have only become more enamoured with them as time has elapsed, but I am prepared for the day I sigh and just go "they're pretty but... meh." :lol: After that, the only way I can anticipate me staying in the hobby further than keeping contact with my BJD-owner friends (because I'd hate to lose contact with the wonderful people I've met through this hobby <3) would be if I got really good at face-ups or modding or something and could use it to make a bit of pocket money :XD:

13. I think I was to begin with; it was one of the things that stopped me from getting into the hobby earlier than I did. However, there are so many things that accompany the hobby, I can tailor my interest to various bits and pieces and still be involved. Sewing, painting, knitting, craft, modding, etc, etc,... ^_^ The hobby itself is a really drawn out one. Its expense means I should be careful with my money; as I don't buy to, say, collect full-sets, I buy to customise, so... it can take ages - months - to even find the right wig or a pair of shoes I'm happy with for my dolls. That, coupled with the long searrch or wait time for an actual doll itself... I mean, it can push the completion of just one doll into years! ^o^ I think that alone means I won't be dropping out anytime soon, haha!

At the moment, my lifestyle is good-to-go for playing with dolls :) I have no idea what my life will be like in, say, a decade, so who knows...? Maybe I won't be still as involved by the time I'm 30, 40, 50... but I would for sure look back on this period and remember it fondly :)

14. /agree

I took a brake from the forums for a while recently and just decided to come back. Was very nice. Makes everyone seem so much more tolerable. XD

15. I'm still enchanted after almost six years of collecting these dolls, so I'm not too concerned that I will lose interest. I have several dolls that I would like to add to my collection, not to mention outfits to sew and story lines to pursue, and I have enough projects in my head that I will probably never get to them all.

16. I've been desperately in love with BJDs for nearly five years...I don't have my own yet (even after so long) but I can safely say that after all this time waiting I don't think I'll ever lose interest. :)

17. I think, that if there is any risk of loss of interest, it's rather "seasonal".

There might be months when you just "own" BJD/s (keep them there, sitting) and months, when you're really active, keep making stuff for them, talking about them, posing and basically, noticing their existance.

That's how I generally get along with my hobbies.

18. I'm not sure what exactly will happen at this point as far as losing interest in concerned. I always thought of myself as being somewhat fickle with my obsessions and losing interest in things I once liked very quickly, but when I really think about it there are many things in my life that I was once obsessed with that still interest me to this day, I have just mellowed out a little about it and don't get as excited as I once did. (Here's a lame example, but growing up, I was one of those kids that was OBSESSED with Pokemon. I don't think about Pokemon as much now, but the game is currently sitting in my DS and I still think Pokemon are cute. Yes I am a dork).

Anyway, with my dolls I think I will probably lose interest in buying new ones once I have a few of them, but I don't think I'll lose interest in the dolls themselves since I tend to get emotionally attached to them. I think the best thing to do is take the hobby slow and try not to get too many dolls and accessories at once. Spend some time on your other hobbies and let the amount of time and money you spend on your dolls span out for as long as you can instead of going crazy and buying everything in sight two months into your obsession. (I don't know who can afford to do that anyway...)

19. Having been a doll collector for well over 20 years, I highly doubt that I'll lose interest anytime soon. Sure, another type of doll may catch my eye but I'll always keep my favorites & play with them at various times. I may sell a large part of my collection but my favorites will remain. It's exactly what I've done with my other dolls & occasionally I'll add to those collections just as I would with my BJDs. I'm just a doll junky at heart.

20. I've been into ABJDs since 2004 and I do feel worry that I might lose interest once I finalize and establish all my characters in my doll family. However, I do think picking up hobbies that might intertwine with dolls might help sustain the doll hobby to last longer. For me, taking pictures is okay, but once you're done with that for the day, there's nothing much to do. I have been wanting to get a sewing machine and start making my own doll clothes and that sort of thing takes a good amount of time and effort... Something that I am more into. Just gotta explore other things that you can do with your dolls.