1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

are you afraid of losing intrest?

May 27, 2009

1. I've been in this hobby for about five years now and my interest has fluctuated a bit. I've bought and sold dolls, and awhile back came close to selling all of my dolls. Somehow, I got drawn back into it and now I have more dolls than ever! Go figure.

2. I'll never say never. I've collected dolls for a looooonnnnngg time. I've always been sort of fickle. Only collecting certain dolls. I've never been much for collecting modern dolls -- Oh I have a few artist dolls -- but never more than one from each -- once I get them, I'm not interested in getting any more. Bjd are different (for me). All the accessories/stuff.

These ball jointed dolls are different. It reminds me of the old french fashion (the original "ball jointed dolls") or even bluettes where during that time (1800- early 1900's) you could buy clothes, and things, wigs, etc. The eyes were changeable (but put in with plaster). The wigs were removable but put on with icky glue that turned brown under the wig cap. There was no internet, but people have copies of old catalogs offering the newest fashion. You could buy clothes from the manufacturer or from cottage industry makers or make your own. -- really just what is happening with our dolls today. There were shoes and clothes and accessories (opera glasses, spectacles, etc.)

I guess I just wonder if in another 10 years resin bjds will become the way bisque dolls did-- where fewer and fewer manufacturers were out there until (the next thing --composition dolls --came in) and antique bisques slowly became collectors items more than play things. There are so many photos that from a historical prospective, our children and children's children will have more of a record than we do.

I think bjds will always be around. I don't think they will go by way of the cabbage patch -- although even cabbage patch is trying to make a come back. I do think they will be like the original Barbies -- people still wanting them.

3. I am not afraid. I wish I lost some interest. I have been collecting dolls for a while now... When I decide to sell a doll, 90% of the time I back off and never post them for sale cause I am so into them.

~Gus

4. I always think a long time about a new hobby (especially an expensive hobby) before I start on it because I do have a tendency to get very interested in something for about 6 months and then drop it and not think about it again. I've been kind of lurking around the edges of bjd fandom for a couple of years now...long enough to know that my interest in these dolls isn't just a passing phase.

5. *thinks* Well, it's been about... 5 years now since I first found out about BJDs and developed an interest, and I'm still stalking DoA on a daily basis, so I think my interest isn't going anywhere for a while :) That said, I have a way of falling hard and fast for things and keeping with a "main interest" for at least a year or more.

Pokemon, Pokemon cards, Yugioh cards, Magic Cards, Beanie Babies, Japanese boybands... I've essentially lost interest in keeping up with everything except for the first, but I've kept everything I've collected. I'm a hoarder, what can I say? XD My interest in Pokemon is sort of a low burning passion that I don't really keep at the forefront of my mind, but whenever a new game comes out, I'm on it like white on rice.

I've also collected stuffed animals all my life, and I don't think I'll ever stop getting more, so hopefully my dolls will fall into that "lasting interest" category along with art/reading/video games/cartoons. I hope that if I do eventually lose interest in BJD though, it'll be like how I am with Pokemon though, in that I'll be able to dive right back in with equal fervour from time to time. This is, after all, possibly the most money I've ever invested in any of my collecting hobbies XD

6. TERRIFIED!
      I know I wont, but I still feel akward having them around. I guess I haven't adjusted yet.
      But, since I feel like it's just so new to me I'm afraid I will lose interest. Hopefully I wont.

7. I never stop liking something, i just stop focusing on it, so no, not scared i'll loose interest. Not scared of unfocusing from them either, actually, cause they are so diffrent, so varied. I may not touch them every day, but that doesn't mean i don't still have an interest in them. And the fact that i have one now, and have more planned, and will always have them around me, helps. My love for horses has kinda fallen to the wayside (though i still want a bunch) but thats only cause i am never around them so i can't keep my mind focused on them. But yeah, if its something that keeps my attention, i can't get bored with it.

8. I am usually always quick to change interests, but this one has held on for a while now, so I have hope! If, however, in the future I lose interest, I know I will always have pretty dolls to sit by me, to keep me company, even if I don't spend money on them.

9. I feel the same way, and my family even yelled at me for it.

"WHAT WILL YOU DO WHEN YOU DON'T LIKE IT ANYMORE?!?"

Well, I can keep it on the shelf, or sell it, and hopefully my doll will be able to find a good owner that loves it as much as I did. I think it's foolish to sell a doll just so you can try getting what you paid for it, but what matters to me is someone will love her.

10. I'm afraid about this sometimes. I don't really lose interest in things so much as it gets difficult so I'll put it on the back burner for a while and never seem to have the time to pull it back off the back burner. Like, I get really into knitting for a while but could never master anything other than a simple block stitch. I could learn them, just couldn't make them work with the yarn, so I put it away for a while and now have forgotten what I learned in the first place. I'm afraid that would happen with the dolls. Like, I'll have to work to get the wig and clothes and would have to keep putting off naming them and working out the story while I save money and such and such. But thats just why I'm being cautious about getting a doll before I have enough money to get a bunch at once.

11. I think, at least for me, I go through being obsessed with a dolly phases. Like for awhile I'm really looking for BJDs then maybe I'll take a break and be into Pullips. But I always circle back around and find that the dolls I loved when I first bought them I still love, and the ones that I only kind of wanted then I don't want at all now.

12. Yes...i am scared of losing interest to something that's expensive...I really want one but I'm afraid I might neglect them...:( ever since i was a child my life has been full of "temporary" -- temporary houses, friends, schools, beds, pillows, stuff toys, and even clothes... plus I'm the kind of girl who'd rather drink water than go to starbucks...
      But ever since I saw BJD's i'm inlove...i'm just not sure if it will last and it's still a mental conflict whether i'll buy one or not....:(

13. I'm not afraid of losing interest at all!
      I love BJD's.. And I have many plans for the few that I'm wanting to get at the moment. Lol. Not only that, but they make me want to get into other hobbies. Which will keep me busy, and thus keep me interested in them. But even if I did.. I'm sure I'd be one of those people who would see something new coming about in the hobby and just want to get right back into it. As I don't think I'd every sell any of my dolls. It'd be easy to do such that. So, it's all good! <3

14. I don't think I'll lose interest - I'll always think the dolls are pretty! I'm only afraid of losing interest in certain molds I'll own. I'd have to have a doll that I love and then after time not love so much anymore... that would make me sad. I hope THAT never happens ^^;;

15. I'm not worried about losing interest. I've been collecting dolls for a few years, mostly antique. There will be periods of time that I don't spend as much time with them but I enjoy them being there. I really enjoy the BJD's cause I feel I can play with them more. The antique's are more display. I worry more that I will neglect my antique dolls. I sometimes have too many projects going.
      '

16. I think it depends on the doll, and the character.
      Short and simple, if you have a strong connection then you'll stay connected, or at least stay active. I had a doll, lost the character sold the doll, I have a new character and a new doll on the way.

17. To be honest, I'm terrified that I'll lose interest in my future dolls, but at the same time, I don't think I will. I've wanted a doll for four years, since I was in 7th grade. I've tried so hard to pull away from this hobby...just tried not to think about them. There are times where I've succeeded in pulling away, but somehow, these dolls would always find me again. Whether it would be at anime conventions, forums online, online art galleries, and hell, even in my dreams, I just couldn't get away from them! No matter where I'd go, they'd somehow invade my thoughts. My friend and I think it's fate, that I've tried so hard to pull away, and how I just can't. Hell, just when I thought I was safe last year, I started having dreams about them! o_O; Seriously, what the hell! :doh Obsessed much? And it's not like I thought about them 24/7 at the time either, they just popped up in my dreams randomly.

My mom always says, "You'll lose interest in these dolls, just like everything else!!" And maybe it will be true, maybe it won't, but I do know that these dolls will bring me happiness, and when the time comes to move on from them, if that time comes, I know it will be time well spent. ^^ And that's comforting enough for me.

18. I don't think I have ever been worried about losing interest, and altough I don't think it will ever happen, if it does, it does. I reallllly hope I never do loose interest though hehe x

19. I'm not really afraid of it, because if I truly do lose interest, then I can always sell them on if I make sure to keep them in good condition ^^.

20. I tend to do things in cycles.......

They last a year or two and wane

but they always loop back, I just have to be patient.......