1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

are you afraid of losing intrest?

May 27, 2009

1. I go in cycles with all of my interests and hobbies, so it's natural and normal for me. I very, very rarely abandon them entirely, though.

2. I am a bit afraid of losing interest, so that is why I have limited myself to one doll. It's easier for me to treasure her and stick with my hobby if I only have the one. I know from past experiences with similar hobbies that as soon as I have a "collection" I start to feel overwhelmed. For example, I was very into Pullips several years ago, and I adored my first Pullip and she occupied a lot of my time. Then I thought I should get a few more--for photostories and to be a real collector. As soon as I did, my interest started waning and soon I exited the hobby.

However, on some level I think that losing interest isn't a terrible thing--sometimes it just happens. That doesn't mean that the time or energy (or money) you spent on ball-jointed dolls was all for nothing, though, because you enjoyed it at the time.

3. When I'm interested in something, it's rare that I'll lose full interest.

Right now, dolls are a fresh interest and so as far as hobbies go, they take up more of my time. A day will come eventually where I don't go on DoA every day, or I might not buy a doll for a long time, but I'll still play with and love the dolls I have.

I've no fear of losing complete interest in them. I wouldn't have bought a doll (or two) in the first place if collecting dolls was not something I'd had in mind for years.

4. If you already think about "I'm afraid I will lose interest in this" then you know you're done already. You will lose interest indeed.

If you're fully passionate and in love with this hobby, then you won't even think about that idea of losing interest.

5. Theres alot of things I can get infatuated with and then lose interest. Its awful.
      Kinda like...>.>; Why'd I waste my time again? But personally, there is something about bjd's that makes me feel otherwise, that I wont lose interest, and even if I do something with spark that dying flame again. And for me, its usually looking at others bjd's and seeing what they done with theirs.
      It makes me go, "Time to smex up mah babe and love her some more." :P

6. I'm speaking from experience when I say that I did, personally, lose interest. For more than two years. However, even in times where money was tight, the thought of selling my dolls for their value never crossed my mind. And if it did, it passed quickly, as money comes and goes.

However, suddenly, I recently regained interest. And it came back with a vengeance. I'm about to get my first SD-size doll, and am trying to sell off one of my minis.

I have always been one of those people with the passing 'obsessions.' You know: the sudden, bursting interest that puts something on your mind often, and then it burns out in about a year or so. But it seems that this one came back. ;)

7. I don't usually lose interest in things I got myself into. Things that my rents or other people have caused me to be interested I do loose interest, perhaps because it wasn't myself that fueled it.
      I'm thinking my interest in the dolls will last a long time, it's got holds in many of my other interests. Even if I lost a lot of my active interest in the dolls, I'd still feel happy having them around my home. To me, they were my hobby that I got myself into and interested in, and based on other hobbies I have of the sort, I expect to have highs and lows, but never totally loose my interest.

8. There are times where I am afraid of this, so I'm slowing down for this year and only buying one more for the year. :) Next year, I have plans for two more, but after that I'm not sure.

9. I am not afraid of losing interest. I am more afraid of Soom putting out sculpts I can't resist. Also, I am afraid of the day when my children are big enough for me to go to BJD conventions where my wallet will be in serious danger from impulse buying.

10. yes. i am. my dad will yell at me saying" u wasted my money on a dol(hope/not hope fully dolls.)!"and, i highly doubt im gonna sell something i love later and now in my life. i will haunt the person give my doll to, if they sell it. he alsoo says its a phase. ssame w my frend. its not. my dads jut cheap, and thinks theyre exactly like barbies.

11. I've been on and off and I don't even have a doll. But I always just think about the moment I learned about BJD's (for me, in a TIME magazine), and then I'm right back where I started :]

12. I have loved dolls my whole life, and Hazel is the doll I have dreamed of since I was under 4! So, no. I don't think I will ever lose interest in them. BJDs are everything a doll should be! And they keep making them better! (DARN THEM!) The only problem is where will I put all their stuff!

13. I was afraid of losing interest before I had my first dolls home. Now, no way. I'm on my way to 5 and a half dolls and I don't have a doubt in my head that I will be interested (not to say addicted) for a loooong time to come. The true problem for me is money really since I want to spoil them silly :lol:

14. I'm not afraid I'll lose interest in my dolls. There were two molds I did doubt I was going to like for long and in the end I sold them, but the dolls I have now.. not once has it crossed my mind to sell them.

Anyway, I like the story I'm writing about them and this part of the hobby has always been most important to me, so even if at some point I am not interested in the molds anymore, the characters will stay and I'll just buy a new doll.

15. I'm afraid that I will lose interest if the doll that I get is not the right mold. Which is why even though I thought I had an idea of which doll I wanted to get, I'm still checking things over and looking at different companies to make sure that I have the right girl picked out.

16. Not really. You can always sell your collection and, because it's fun, there's really no regret over time or anything for me.

17. To be honest, I am a little concerned. I tend to fall in and out of these things, and though some of my previous interests still are listed among my passions, many do not captivate me as they did previously. Right now I'm having difficulty because I am juggling so many things at once: Two jobs, cleaning/renovating so my 96yo grand-aunt can move in with us, the exchange students coming in three weeks, and doing biweekly manicures takes up a lot of my time, so my doll doesn't get as much attention as she deserves. Part of it is that she needs proper clothing, and while I have discovered a lot of lovely fabric, I just don't have the time nor energy to make her some nice outfits.

Gah, just writing it makes me tired. *_*

I guess, in short, I am a little concerned and wish I had more time/energy to lavish on her.

18. that thought passed through my head a few times. i too, lose easely interest in things and im scared that in not so long, id feel like selling my doll cuz it bore me... 0_0 (it sorta happened once)

19. I'm kind of worried about losing interest after I spend so much money on a doll, because I've lost interest in doll-ish things before (like my build-a-bears), but I'm almost positive the custom parts of doll ownership will keep me interested. After all, there's only so much you can do with a stuffed animal.

20. Like a quote I heard a long time ago: "the time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" or something along those lines (I really got a bad memory:sweat) If you really enjoy this hobby so much, it will never be a waste of time or money, at least that's my case. I've spent A LOT of money on my dolls than on myself and I don't regret it because that's what I like to do: I like to dress them in beautiful clothes since they are, after all, like my kids and parents always want the best for their kids (I sound like a weirdo, maybe I am, don't really care^^) and what's doing something constructive towards your future if you don't like it? I'm a student myself and I haven't had any problem at all keeping up with my studies and my hobbies, you can do whatever you want if you have the will to do it...

Needless to say, I will never lose interest in BJDs, maybe I'll not be as obsessed as I am now but I'm sure I'll never abandon my kids :3 I wonder when that day will come though, since I've been in this hobby for over 5 years now.