1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

are you afraid of losing intrest?

May 27, 2009

1. aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyy i love my dollies all so much i'd never lose interest in them! and i have over 30 of them...it's a heck of a job cleaning and dressing them all though! hahahaha~! Our dollies kicked us out of the loft and the Cecile Scarfaces are threatening to toss the stuffed animals off the plank!

2. Yeah, I'm afraid of losing interest in all of the things I love. Then again, my answer may be biased as I am afraid of...well...almost everything really. :(

3. You should just enjoy it while you can and not think about the future :] life is too short to waste our time being afraid of the future! as carefree as I might sound, that;s the only thing you can do and it works :)

4. Nope.

Because I know I have phases when I drop in and out of obsessions. But I never completely lose interest - it just stays on the backburner and someday may come back in full force.

My obsession in maritime history took a backseat to other obsessions in 2004. In 2007, it came back with full force and I'm still deeply obsessed today. Even to the point of naming my dolls after ships, and basing their backstories on said ships.

5. I'm not afraid of losing interest.

I don't have any fear of letting go of a hobby if it no longer stimulates me. I can sell the dolls I would have acquired (I have my first one on the way now, after 2 years of watching and waiting for the right time), along with any accessories.

However, as a person with a keen interest in model making (studying it at uni), I think there will always be a small link to this hobby in whatever I do.

I think the most likely scenario would be that I would tire of the dolls characters, rather than tire of dolls altogether.

6. I've been in this hobby for a few years and I have to say I have lost most interest. Sometime this year I realized I can't own dolls that aren't a part of my personal book's storyline or I have zero interest in them. I suppose that's a good thing, I only have so many characters and I have half of them already at home.

Even if I do find other interests, I won't be losing interest in my character dolls, if nothing else they're adorable little representations of a story that's very dear to me.

7. Before I bought my first doll and as I was awaiting arrival, I was very concerned that I would be spending a lot of money on something and then when I got it I wouldn't be anywhere near as interested in the hobby as I initially thought i would be. But once I my Laila came home and I saw and held her for the first time it was immediately taken by the hobby. There is so much potential for creativity in this hobby - the sewing, painting/blushing, the accessories, the story telling . . . it literally takes all of my interests and puts them all together.

8. Well, It's certainly a legitimate concern, so here is what I recomend (provided you havent gotten one already or to anyone in a simular situation).

First, find a doll you really like, but isn't at the UPPER end of the spectrum; Say under $500. If you can get one like that or even higher end for less (like at the marketplace or from someone you know), then even better. The objective is to get something you REALLY DO want, but to keep the cost down as well. Make sure to get eyes and wig with it or before, and perhaps clothing, if your not very artisic, then a default face-up mightt be good as well.

Second, when you get your doll and have their eyes and hair on and dressed and all give yourself time to bond, to discover the things you like and dislike to see if your interest holds. Wait a while before getting another. Take your doll to meets and make contacts. If your like me (and from what you described you are), then this approach should work. Even so, you MAY be like me in that the moment you hold that doll...naked, eyeless, hairless, and no face-up that you have finally come home to a hobby you were destined to have.

9. I agree with blizzard-of_az bonding time so so important. When I got my first doll I received a free event head. I had such a hard time bonding with the floating head that I was beginning to think about selling it, but once i put it on my girls body, did a face up and bought a wig and eyes for the head - her personality came out and I could never part with her now.

10. Yes, I'm a little afraid. I'm saving up slowly and learning new things, so maybe the test of time before I get it will determine whether or not this is just a passing phase.... If I really want this and will stick to it, then I'll still be interested after the long wait is over. If not.... I have a bunch of extra, hard-earned money. :)
      Even if I grow out of this hobby one day, maybe I'll pass it on to someone younger that I love...provided that they're mature enough to handle it and take good care of it. I really hope I don't lose interest, though.

11. I'm not so concerned with losing interest with the whole hobby, but I am concerned with collecting far too many dolls for my personal interest. I'm in the process of drastically re-sizing my doll collection and reorganising it along only Volks lines so that I will have only four or five dolls in my collection and they will be linked aesthetically. This way, when I do retire from the BJD community (if I ever do...) I won't be stuck with 30+ dolls I might never be able to sell. At least five dolls can be put into storage or sold quicker than 30 dolls!

12. im not really afraid of loosing interest. my dolls are my characters and the characters kept me interested for nearly 10 years before any of them became dolls. actually, its the relationship of the doll/character that is so much fun for me, and as long as its there, i cant imagine getting bored with it :3

13. SO TRUE!! you're absolutely right!! bonding is very important. I waited 2 years to get my second doll, I think that's the reason why kyoshi is my dearest boy out of all the dolls I have at the moment. I stayed alone with him for 2 years, thus a strong attachment was formed. He is, in my eyes, my first son. (no, I'm not crazy, i just love him to bits)

14. Nope! I'm not afraid of that. I've been in the doll hobby(not only bjd though) for over 2 years and even though I've sold off some dolls (and acquired by two BJD's after that) I always make sure that the doll I'm buying is a doll I really want to own. I have five dolls at the moment (incl. my non-bjd's) and I use time and money on them all. I do get tired of being an active member on some forums though. Mostly because I'm a member of so many different ones that it is a little hard to keep up everywhere. It goes periodically though :) I never really loose interest, I just need a break sometimes or real life is catching up with me.

I think it's just normal to be a little off and on with this hobby. I wouldn't be really stressed about it if I was you. I'm in this hobby partly because I love photography, and I love taking pictures of my dolls as they are beautiful and so full of personality. I'm not always in the mood though, so at times I rather take pictures of totally different things and my dolls get less attention. I'm always flickering back to them though :aheartbea

15. I was worried about this in a thread I started because I thought if I had too many dolls, I wouldn't find my one doll that special. He'd just be another doll. I also am worried that when I graduate college, I will want to dedicate more time/money into other things more family and job related. But even if I don't dress my dolls up or draw them anymore, I don't think I'd just give them up. They're truly beautiful pieces of art and a great representation of my past. That's why I keep a little bit of everything I used to collect (Barbies, dollhouse minis, childhood toys, etc) so I can remember how happy the hobby used to make me. I can't predict how much I'll love the hobby ten years from now, but I should still be able to admire how much I used to love it.

16. Oh, I'm pretty sure I'll lose interest at some point in the future. But since I'm not really as avid a doll-owner as most of the people here seem to be, that doesn't really matter. It probably only means that I'll buy new clothes for my dolls once every year instead of every few months. And change their clothes about as often as that. I'm not playing with them (except for changing clothes and taking a photo now and then) so they're used to it. ;)

What I do know is that I can't imagine any circumstances under which I'd sell Luken and Morgan again. It took me months to save up the money to buy them. I'm not giving them away. Ever.

17. I must update what I said a while ago. While I'm not afraid of losing interest altogether, I'm at a point where I feel quite overwhelmed. My life has revolved around dolls of one sort or another for over 20 years & I'm feeling the pull to go in another direction. I'll never give up all my dolls as there are some that really touch my heart but I am in the midst of a major thinning. Perhaps when there are fewer dolls, I'll be happier with them.

18. To be honest, yes, it does worry me. I'm in the process of saving for my first doll and I'm a bit scared that I won't bond with him or that I'll get tired of him soon after he arrives. My interests change from time to time so even though right now I'm really excited about the doll, I may not feel the same after a few months or a year of owning him. I know I shouldn't think about this so much but I can't help it. The thought is always there in the back of my mind no matter how much I try to ignore it.

19. The other day, I was so obsessing over which doll head to get in the upcoming fairyland event, That when I finally gave up to go to bed, I was so burned out, I didn't even think I wanted a doll anymore! Then I woke up the next morning all excited that I would soon be placing an order, and it was going to be a beautiful doll no matter which one I chose, LOL. I was actually surprised I got un burned :P

20. Some people, like myself get overwhelmed at some point and need to scale back for one reason or another. I will probably always keep the two I have now, though, even if I'm on hiatus for a long time like I was last year. Now that I was able to "recover" I no longer fear it ;)