1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Are you hesitant to buy oddly sized/shaped dolls because of clothing?

Mar 14, 2012

1. I find oddly-shaped dolls to be really interesting and wouldn't hesitate to purchase one if I had the funds. I know that if there is something I can't make myself, I could commission someone else to.

2. I think that i would be very hesitant to buy a oddly shaped or size doll because it is more difficult to dress a doll which size/shaped is out of the ordinary. I have a 42cm doll and there are few clothes for dolls of this size (especially with big bosoms ^^').She is beautiful but every time I find clothes which pleases me it is too big for her... it's really frustrating !

3. Several of my dolls, actually, are somewhat oddly sized boys. Spirit Doll Prouds are 70cm dolls, but they're BEEFY manry men, so most 70cm outfits don't fit them. I have to specifically look for SSDF or EID outfits for them for the most part, though fortunately I learned DollHeart 70cm stuff now fits them (albeit tight).

It's been a bit of a struggle getting them clothed how I want though, since most fantasy-type stuff is all for skinny boys. I've bought several outfits only to have to make modifications or admit defeat and disappointment :(

4. I have bought two very slender dolls and plan to buy at least two more. When I fall in love with a doll, the clothes are an afterthought. I did for a second, a split second, hesitate to buy my Saint on the Rhythmos body because I knew he'd be far, far too thin to wear any pre-made 70cm pants and that all the shirts would hang off him, but I still bought him. The same thing with the two Doll Chateau dolls I'm planning to get, and the opposite problem with the Spirit Doll Proud boy I will eventually have. I always think to myself what I'll do for clothes, because I am too busy and lazy to make all the clothes they'll need. But, in the end, I'm going to get them, I'll just have to deal with the consequences later.

The only reasons I'd hesitate to buy an oddly shaped doll would be if the body type would be very difficult to sew for, or if for some reason it looked as if the body would have problems posing due to its proportions or engineering. I like to photograph my dolls, and having a doll just sit or lay there can, at times, be boring. If the doll is well-engineered and aesthetically pleasing, then I would not hesitate to buy it.

5. I know people can make clothes, but I definitely cannot buy dolls that I would find difficulty dressing. I am not a seamstress at all, and it bums me out when they have no clothes. lol.

6. Nope not really worried about odd sizes/shapes. I'd worry more about wigs and shoes.

My motto for doll clothing dilemma's is: If I can't find it I'll make it!

7. Not being able to find doll clothes that you like and fit whatever character you've created is an incredibly frustrating experience, so, yes, I do think I am less likely to buy a doll if I think finding clothing will be an issue.

8. It's never stopped me but it is frustrating. Sooner or later clothes become available, you just have to keep looking... a lot :|

9. Considering the fact that most of my dolls are characters that already come with specific outfits that NO ONE ever makes... I'd say it doesn't really matter whether a doll has many clothes made for it, or few. It IS a factor that I will consider, but usually only if there are two dolls that I like equally as much for the same character. Otherwise it wouldn't really be a deterrent for me, as long as the doll looks right. Scale and height in relation to other dolls is much more important to me than clothes though.

Although having owned a boy who wasn't a standard size, I must say it is something I'd rather not have to deal with if I can help it (by that I mean, find a better doll in a more standard size, haha). I was pretty over-joyed to find out that my next girl, who I THOUGHT was going to be a pain in the butt due to her very stylized and unique body, was actually sculpted with ease of dressing in mind and can therefore share clothes with Unoa and Minifee girls. Talk about massive relief - she's supposed to be a very fashionable girl, and Unoa/Minifee have an overabundance of clothes for them. ><

10. Not at all -- I sew and knit for my resinpeople so clothing is just a matter of tweaking a pattern. My next doll will be a Doll Chateau Bella (skinny limbs and torso, big hips) and I expect fitting her will be an interesting challenge.

11. For me it's more a monetary factor. If I had a stable income I'd be less inclined to care and more inclined to find people to commission or buy direct from the site.

When Iplehouse introduced one of their large boy dolls I swooned but due to his size and the fact that I could not afford their special sized clothing for him, I passed. Things would be different if I had an income to support my interests.

12. Not because of clothing, so much, but because of the fact that it's oddly shaped, haha!

13. Basically most of my dolls are odd shaped, 70cm tall-wear 7-8 wigs or 15cm tall with a head that needs a 5-6 wig. So not to many dolls are what you could call normal shaped.

14. I don't think it would stop me if I was set on a doll, but if I didn't know and then the doll arrived and I found there weren't many clothes to fit it I would be frustrated.

However, I only have one doll right now which is an anthro crocodile and is a short(ish) run artist-sculpt, extremley pear-shaped, large hands, huge feet and ankles, and only 6" high. So it's not as if there are any clothes for it at all really. So evidently it wouldn't stop me. :P

15. I have had a few odd size dolls which havent really been an SD or MSD, such as Orientdoll Tae and Souldoll Morse, as much as I liked them I couldnt keep them as all the clothing I wanted wouldnt fit them and my attempts at clothing werent good enough nor could I afford commissions.
      I think I am quite into very chunky and curvy dolls now, they tend to fit snuggly into clothes but nothing a stitch or two wont fix.

16. A year ago I might have said that I wouldn't care at all. Then I got JIDs. I personally cannot sew myself, nor do I live close to anyone who is so inclined. When I got my Iplekids, I neglected to buy any clothes (I'll get them later, I thought, I can't afford it right now!) and boy was that a mistake. My boy is lucky he came with a few clothes as he was purchased second hand, my girl is not so lucky... She has nothing at all that fits her character -or- the 'world' she should be living in, and that is something that I have alot of issues with.

Because of these experiences I've been alot more hesitant when I look at dolls even though it seems I'm doomed from the start to always find (and fall in love) with sculpts that are oddly sized or proportioned differently. In the end it comes down to whether or not the beauty of the doll and the pull of the character is worth the extensive headache I'm going to get trying to dress them.

17. I've collected a lot of different dolls over the years, and as such I've garnered a lot of random sized clothes. I also have a friend who sews really great doll clothes, and she seems to enjoy seeing all the different dolls I stuff into her creations, so I'm sure any new arrival who can be measured won't have to worry about going naked. :) Two of my favorite dolls are actually in funny size ranges. My Pippitan wears Yo-SD/LTF sized shoes, but much smaller clothing (Yo stuff is too big, but Lati/Pukifee stuff is generally too small, even if just to get her hands/feet through the openings), and my Liebchen can fit some stretchy Yo-sized pieces and some slender Mini-sized clothing. It really depends.

18. Not really. I only found out after I bought a second doll that the first one was an odd size (OD Il).
      And if I would every bump into another odd sized one that I would like very much, I would buy it.
      I am making most of his clothes myself, so it's not really a problem. I guess I could find pre-made clothing for him, but he's as difficult as me when it comes to clothing :lol:

19. Im waiting on my first bjd and she has an odd shaped body, I will probably commission someone to do her clothes for her. I have no clue how to sew so i guess this hobby wil be expensive! :

20. Yes, I do mind, because I can't sew and prefer to buy clothes, and I tend to like having lots outfits and choices for them. Not even oddly shaped like slimmer or pear-shaped, I even stray away from in-between sizes or a new size that I don't currently own. Because if I get a new size of doll, it usually means I have to get a whole new wardrobe for them too and I have to factor that into their full cost. ><