1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Are you tired of new companies every week?

Feb 21, 2009

1. I am new to collecting BJDs so new companies ...yikes! I am still learning so much. I really don't know all the differences between the different companies.

2. I love seeing new companies! More companies means more competition, and perhaps eventually (optimistically) more catering to those of us who want really niche things like 50cm bodies, doughier males, and muscular ladies. Variety makes me happy, and honestly, even if a lot of the newer sculptors make dolls that look similar to each other, it's still encouraging to see some new artists. The good stuff will float to the top, if you will. And y'know... there's always going to be elitists, but I personally would never want to go back to a time when there was just Volks and Luts and those. Not my aesthetic at all. I might not have resin dolls if those companies were the only options.

3. I don't really mind it either way! I'm pretty classic when it comes to my dolls, my favorite brands are the oldies. I prefer the more 'classic' BJD aesthetic, specifically MSD-sized dolls so I don't much pay attention to the newer companies which cater to the more popular doll types around these days. On the other hand, I love looking at all these new dolls coming out and seeing the brilliant photos and modifications that people come up with!

Diversity is never a bad thing in my opinion. More variety with aesthetic and pricing means more collectors in the hobby which is fantastic.

As long as there are still dolls that cater to people like me, I don't have a problem.

4. I don't really care about new companies - because most of the time they are styles I don't like anyways. Now, if they actually went and made the sizes and sculpts I'm looking for, I'd love that of course haha.

5. New companies means new dolls, which to me isn't ever going to be a bad thing. I like a wide variety of looks so the wider the choice the better for me :)

6. I personally love the broad selection that's currently available. While yes, I do have a tendency to gravitate toward a certain company for some things I'm looking for, in other cases I'm open to just about any option out there, and the more choices out there, the more potential I'm going to find something that matches the vision in my mind's eye! On top of that, I can start doing something I didn't have as a real option when I first got started, which is properly scaling my dolls to each other, instead of having all characters be roughly the same height and shape. I've even been finding some of the "stranger" things I'm seeking, like fully anthro dolls, and have more hope of seeing more of what I'd like in that category.

And even when a new doll or new company doesn't necessarily appeal to what I'm currently after, I still love to see them and see what people are doing with them!

7. I love it, the more companies the better is so nice seeing so many different dolls. Sometimes I find things I didn't knew I liked :)

8. There may be a lot of companies, but only a few of them turn out to be favorites. Still it is fun to check out the new ones. But Soom, Volks, Unoa are hard to beat when it comes to aesthetics, attractiveness, the feels... Smaller companies/artists who often offer heads only are also a huge enrichment to the market.

9. I'm newer to the hobby, but I don't mind the variation in doll companies ^^ It just means more sculpts to choose from. The more, the merrier IMO

10. Although I'm very partial to specific companies and their sculpt, I do enjoy seeing what new companies have to offer. Also, when more and more companies pop-up, I can only assume that the hobby is continuing to grow and more and more companies are trying to get into the wide range of demographic. Even if I end up not liking their sculpt, I enjoy looking at the pictures and being inspired by their theme/clothing...etc.

11. Yes and no.

Yes, because I like seeing new ideas and people trying things that are a little risky and out of the ordinary. Especially the ones with a wide variety of skin tones, different body types (super skinny, plus size, softer looking boys, muscular girls, etc), and realistic faces.

No because I feel that so many new companies are so similar to existing companies, in everything from aesthetic to engineering, to body types to resin colors. Even company names are so similar. I'm all for something new and exciting, I just feel like so much of the new stuff is so similar to old stuff.

12. Yes and no - I have a few dolls. Almost all of them are from different companies, and of those most are from companies that have popped up within the last 5 years or so.

Personally I don't care how many new doll companies pop up as long as they are legit. There could be 500 new companies out there but the ones that resinate with me easily out shine the others. Right now I'm most fascinated by independent artists. I think the internet has just made it easier for artists to gain visibility and maybe even make a little money doing something they love.

I honestly don't think these new companies popping up are spin offs of some big conglomerate trying to cash in. I just don't think this hobby is the "get in quick and make a bunch of money and get out" type of business. But who knows maybe it's full of very rich people out there that want to have a bjd manufacturing business....

What I do like about all the different companies and artists out there is that I get to have a diverse collection.:):thumbup

I love that Dollshe, Fantasy Doll, Haru Casting, etc. for example offer casting services for many smaller artists; which means, we have exposure to more dolls in more shades from more artists that would never have the means to launch something on their own.

13. Since I'm new to this, the amount of companies and sculpts is already overwhelming enough as it is. I've even made the mistake of confusing Impledoll with Iplehouse just because they're both two-word names where the first part only has one letter of difference.
      But I think there's also an advantage to it - being new, a lot of the really nice dolls I would have liked to own are long discontinued, and the newer companies means theres a greater chance of there eventually being a similar sculpt to what I missed just due to probability and variety.

Besides, it's nice to have a lot to choose from. I just worry about how well some of the new companies can stay in business.

14. I'm certain it seems overwhelming at times, but I really like seeing the variety and diversity of sculpts from company to company. It certainly makes finding the perfect sculpt a little time consuming, but with so many to choose from I think it just makes being able to find "the one" all the more possible.

So I guess I'll never get tired of seeing new companies pop up. :3nodding: