1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Are your dolls a comfort item?

Jul 13, 2019

1. They certainly are comfort items. Before my fiance and I moved in together, I'd have Mari or Cocopo lay in bed with me.

2. For me, art is comfort. And one of the most calming and happy things for me is making things for my Chaeri. And also, if I'm feeling blue or upset, just sitting and holding her can make me feel better.

3. Absolutely, they are comfort items!

Seeing those little faces, making things for them, taking pictures of them, all those things are very calming. Sometimes, just coming into my room, and knowing they are there, and content being dolls where I can glance and look over at them makes me happy.

4. Definitely both for me. I find my dolls comforting to look at and hold. I just find art uplifting, especially well-crafted art. Something about seeing their beautiful faces really soothes me. I relax and so does my breathing. It's like they give my heart and my soul a soft gentle hug ^_^ Maybe because it inspires me and I know how much passion and toil goes into creating them it always reminds me to push past those hard times. And that if I keep moving forward, beautiful things will come from it. *sigh* I love my boys so much ^_^

5. I had never really thought about my doll or my hobbies in that way, as a comfort/support item. I started collecting dolls because I thought they were beautiful but I never realized how comforting it actually is to dress them, fret over their hair and clothes, buy things for them, pose them. It’s definitely relaxing!

6. A reason I love the doll hobby is the escapism that it offers. I love to unwind after a hard day and live through a whole other little person, y'know? Also, getting attached to a doll makes me feel like I have a little child to protect lol.

7. I'd say yes, it was never my intention but they bring me a lot of joy in a lot of different ways. It's nice to look over and just see these pretty things I've styled and put together all by myself and have that little moment of pride. Sure I commission a lot, but I picked the artist and it was my vision. I'm also delighted by tiny things so even just to act of shuffling props around can brighten a bad day. I've got a little mewiefish radish and sometimes I'll put a tiny pot on his head like a hat when I walk by! Delightful!

They are also the only hobby that I do 100% alone and for myself. Everything else I do with my friends which is still very fun, but dolls are the thing I do however I want with no consideration for what other people would like more, and at my own incredibly slow pace. No pressure, which makes it that much more pleasant for me. Has that guy been sitting around naked for most of the year? Yes. Will I make his clothes eventually? Sure. But there's no deadline, I'll work on it whenever I feel like hand-sewing.

8. I've found that sitting down with a doll in my lap calms me down. I've been dealing with a lot of stress recently and spending time with my dolls made me feel so much better! Over the past six or so years I've really bonded with my first dolls and I love talking to them like the crazy doll lady I am. :XD:

9. Yes, definitely! The dolls don’t judge and they are great listeners. It always make me happier when I think about my doll and all the crafts and creative things are great way to trick your mind not to think negative stuff you’re going through.

10. To me they are comfort items. When I make clothes or develop their stories more It makes me feel so much more calm. I could just stare at them and just feel better. They are a creative outlet for me.

11. I've been in a hole, where I didn't want to do anything for days. Just lay in bed and sleep. But I finally looked over to my shelf where my dollies were sitting and waiting for me. I got up and moved them all to my bed and watched some tv with them. The next day I got one again and fixed his hair. The third day I played with my lovely couple. And slowly I felt better than I realized. I started making them stuff or just hanging out with my first doll. They really bring me joy and fight away my depression and anxiety. I may be crazy, but they're the best to hang out with :kitty2

12. For me, my dolls are 100% a comfort item. I love dressing them up and brushing their hair. Something about that just makes me feel better about whatever is happening in the real world. If I own/buy a doll that I don't want to touch because I'm afraid I'll ruin it (Or many other reasons). I have a hard time bonding with that doll and in the end they get sold. :)

13. Surely I see my dolls as comfort items, they help me improve my mood and make me smile. If they didn't, why would I need them? I think we are surrounding ourselves with beauty (to which dolls definitely belong) to make us feel joy or at least feel better, and that's the main point, isn't it? :)

14. A bit of both. I love to costumize my dolls by my own to calm down. And when I need time for myself I went outside with one and take photos.

15. i see them as both. these dolls are a work of art between how theyre sculpted and painted the way we dress them and the stories we give to them,it's all art but to me it's also my comfort item,i have depression,anxiety,ptsd,bpd and dont have the best relationships with my adoptive family and oh man OH MAN BEAR WITH ME THIS IS GONNA GET CHEESY (i was gonna make a post like this myself so im dumping it here) my dolls are something that never will change they're always there,when im traveling,in the hospital,kicked out,gone for a long time or having just a bad day my dolls are always there, i obviously cant always have them all but i at least keep 1 small one on me that can fit in my bag or hand and is easy to grab in a short notice,in my experience it's easier to put comfort onto something inanimate then a person cus people come and go they change and not always for the best but my resin little bastards are always gonna be here,cracked,broken,floating heads,even just a hand i'll have em and it'll make me feel better, painting a face,dressing them up or just messing around with them it makes me feel better i like having the sense of enjoyment when im upset or homesick. for the comfort item or art piece its like this, an artist draws and a lot of the times when they feel down or upset they still draw to feel better or to vent ,even though its an art piece it can still be comforting and can still be taken out and cared for and shared with others

16. I’m about 3/4 of the way through a rather stressful move and I can say without a doubt that my dolls are comfort objects. Looking over at their familiar faces makes my new place feel like home in a way that nothing else does. Everything else may change, but through the chaos, my girls stay constant.

17. Both, imo. That being said I do get stressed sometimes when I want to make a thing for one of them but don't have the energy/time to finish by when I want it done or when I should be doing more productive things

18. I think this hobby definitely helps me de-stress and it's therapeutic to make artwork with my hands.

The dolls themselves? Definitely more art pieces than comfort items. I don't really like taking them off the shelves and just holding them or sitting with them or something, let alone playing with them... It makes me nervous that I'm going to scratch their faceups so I don't do that very often. Having them on display is comforting in the way that surrounding oneself with nice things is, but I still feel like that's not really what "comfort item" means.

19. He was art piece at first.
      But there was one time that I really had a bad day and had no one to talk to. I then looked at Med silently and he made me feel better.
      From that day on, he is more than an art doll.

20. Mine are definitely both! My hands tend to be a little gross when I'm upset, since I sweat easily, and I'm anxious about touching them too much unless they have clothes on, but I have my largest sitting on my desk. Just having him around makes me feel better, and when I get another doll I'm definitely putting her there too, or on the shelves right next to my desk. All of them have faceups and body blushing done by myself, so they're also a bit of a reminder of how much progress I've made over the year and some I've been in the hobby.