1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Are your dolls a comfort item?

Jul 13, 2019

1. I see them as both. They're way too gorgeous and well-made to not consider them an art piece, IMO, but at the same time, I'd feel sad paying so much money for a doll without wanting to hang out and play with them like, well, dolls.

2. My dolls are more art pieces for me, but I also can see them being cathartic because art is generally a cathartic thing for me.

3. My sister has a small collection of dolls and I didn't want to call her out on it, but I noticed that sometimes she'd kind of "tuck them in" at night before bed; I'm pretty sure they qualify as comfort items for her!

4. My dolls are part of my art now. Before my art wasn’t always comforting to me but my dolls are something that make me feel much better in lots of ways. I love thinking about them and all the clothes I would like to make for them. I am very attached to my first and favorite doll and I think about him a lot when I am stressed or anxious. If I get anxiety at work I try to think of my dolls. It really helps.

5. I very much take comfort in my dolls because I can not have children. It helps me feel better to hold something and care for something that I feel cares for me back. It is also why I collect only Spirited/haunted bjds. They feel more like loving a person instead of a hunk of plastic.

6. Yeah they're comforting. I like to feel like they sort of keep me company when I'm doing stuff like watching a movie or playing video games. I want to handle them almost constantly but I'm afraid of damaging them since they're sooooo pricey.

I have a large, sturdy, and (comparatively, but he was less than $100) cheap boy that I really do like to just hold on to when I'm winding down for the evening. I did his faceup, repaired his damaged face, made his wig, and he has the ugliest stiff hands so I'm not as worried about breaking fingers and it feels great to have one doll I don't have to be concerned about haha.

7. Mine are comfort pieces. I love just curling up in bed with a tea, some movies, some fabric and a doll. I spend a lot of my time just sat with them sewing new items. I always like to keep a comfort item on me just for anxiety reasons, and my dolls are my go to when I'm at home. There's so many different distraction options when it comes to them that it's hard to worry when I can just sew another dress or make a new wig :3nodding:

8. Definitely, read somewhere that people who are lonely tend to collect dolls are the human resemblance comforts them

9. I think so.
      I've noticed when I'm feeling depressed, I start thinking about my dolls more and more. When it gets severe, I pull them out, change their outfits, pose them, or take photos. That's not to say that it's only when I'm depressed. My DreamValley Ann is always sitting out because she makes me smile.
      Anyway, back to what I was saying, my dolls are something of a comfort for me. How it works, I couldn't tell you.

10. I refuse to own anything that sits in a box. I talk to my dolls in passing every single day and when I have the time to play with them, it's very mindful.

11. I started collecting again after having a toddler, so they'remostly artwork/shelf babies.
      They make me happy whenever I see them, but I can't really hold them or sit with them with out risk of toddler projectiles or becoming a projectile.

12. I see them as both, ^^ I love sitting and holding one when I'm feeling down or lonely, watching like anime or listening to music together, but they look beautiful on their shelves, I like to buy things when I get really depressed ( bought a camera last time, ) so now I can quench that need by buying cute little items for them, so I don't spend to much... XD

13. Comfort item of course. He makes me feel better, when I am down. Still hasn't got a face up, but it doesn't matters. I adore him blank and unfinished.

14. I think so, but I go through phases. I keep them in my closet at home because my room gets a lot of sunlight, and for the last couple of years I've been living in a different town without any of my dolls. Sometimes I don't think about it, I can occupy myself with the characters in other ways, but lately I've been missing them and want to pose them/get the new stuff I've ordered for them/get them new wigs or face ups etc. My goal is to have a place to display them properly one day, so I can see them all the time and be comforted knowing they're with me, but for now I'm wondering if I should just bring one of my MSDs to the room I'm in now and make do....

15. They are 100% a comfort item! Gives me something to take care of and care for without owning a pet or a child. Plus, it's a lot easier to do so

16. My doll is definitely a comfort item for me. After a tough day I love coming home and just playing with her or coming up with ideas for her character and story. Sometimes she sits with me when I watch movies, too. I think for people who have larger dolls, the doll's weight might be quite comforting in times of stress (a sort of deep-pressure thing). My girl is a YoSD, though, so I can't be positive on that point.

17. Yesss... I am happy when I am with my dolls. I think it is enjoyable to play around with my dolls and it is very comforting and stress releasing...

18. My dolls are like my kids, they really help me get out some deep depression. Their personalities and pretty faces always brighten my day <3

19. Yes I certainly see them as a comfort items. They makes me happy and I talk to them sometimes when I’m sad.

20. I see them as a bit of both. Something artsy I can show off (even if... I suck at faceups haha they aren't very artsy in that sense) and show just how beautiful they are.
      And they are definitely comfort items, too. When I'm not feeling too great I'll look at a picture of my dolls when I'm away from the house, or if I'm home, I'll sit my favorite one on my desk so I can look at her while I'm doing other things. Luckily the people I live with don't mind it, or else that'd be awkward haha